NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Philip Rivers 2019 Outlook

PizzaBeerFF

Will again be fantasy value next season, with the potential to be even better IF Henry is healthy and his growing rapport with M Williams continues.

Will also continue to be disliked IRL for some reason by some people.

Humble family guy, plays with passion, loved by his teammates. Must be a jerk, right.

Borderline QB1 maybe..........but also someone you're going "oh, that's fine" when you see him in your opponent's lineup that week.      At his level, i'm letting him pass by and taking slightly cheaper swings at players beneath him with more upside.     

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

Will again be fantasy value next season, with the potential to be even better IF Henry is healthy and his growing rapport with M Williams continues.

Humble family guy, plays with passion, loved by his teammates. Must be a jerk, right.

It’s like Lebron in the NBA. No one is going to deny that outside the game they’re good people but damn the bitching during the game is annoying. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

No, he just complains too much.

8 hours ago, Gohawks said:

It’s like Lebron in the NBA. No one is going to deny that outside the game they’re good people but damn the bitching during the game is annoying. 

You see exactly the same, and worse, from plenty of players if you look for it.

Shows his frustration after some plays. So what.

If players could see fans on the couch, all they would see is bitching.

• Haha 1

• tonycpsu changed the title to Philip Rivers 2019 Outlook
1 hour ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

You see exactly the same, and worse, from plenty of players if you look for it.

Shows his frustration after some plays. So what.

If players could see fans on the couch, all they would see is bitching.

You don’t see worse than Rivers from plenty of players. If so, I’d like a list of said players. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 5:12 AM, The Land Of Real Beer said:

Yes, he is. Was a jerk to Brees, and for someone who can't even win his division has been very overrated his entire career.

And the "passion" angle is only a bonus for non-black players. 

46 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Only look back fondly now because Brees proved he's world's above Rivers, and that SD was stupid to trade for Rivers over drafting Larry Fitzgerald.

Brees + Fitz, Gates, Tomlinson all in their primes = dynasty.

Rivers ego in his rookie holdout was the only reason Brees was given a chance to start in 2004, and he ran with it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Yes, he is. Was a jerk to Brees, and for someone who can't even win his division has been very overrated his entire career.

And the "passion" angle is only a bonus for non-black players. 

Yet he's still a better QB than Eli.

39 minutes ago, kdko said:

Yet he's still a better QB than Eli.

Eli is a shell of his former self, but he is almost a surefire HOFer. Rivers has no shot. Eli will have his own chapter in the NFL history books(somewhere in between Brady’s 6 chapters), and Rivers will be lucky to be found in the appendix.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Haha. What has he ever won? I'll still take Eli and his 2 SB MVPs any day of the week. You can have Rivers, his 0-8 record versus Brady and no rings.

Eli's defense won those games against Brady, and a couple of lucky catches.  Other than that he's just good at throwing the ball to the other team.  Besides those rings (team achievement) Eli's stats are garbage compared to Rivers and Ben's.  Eli is the Jim Plunkett of the modern era.

7 hours ago, kdko said:

Eli's defense won those games against Brady, and a couple of lucky catches.  Other than that he's just good at throwing the ball to the other team.  Besides those rings (team achievement) Eli's stats are garbage compared to Rivers and Ben's.  Eli is the Jim Plunkett of the modern era.

Clearly you know little about Plunkett to make that statement. Which is consistent with your arguments about Eli vs Rivers and Ben. 

Back to Rivers....had a great supporting cast and flopped miserably the last 6 weeks of the season with the exception of one half of TNF. He just doesn't have the consistent upside to win fantasy (or real-life) championships, and he never will.

9 hours ago, elroypedro said:

Eli is a shell of his former self, but he is almost a surefire HOFer. Rivers has no shot. Eli will have his own chapter in the NFL history books(somewhere in between Brady’s 6 chapters), and Rivers will be lucky to be found in the appendix.

Hate to tell ya, but Rivers will be in the HOF

• Like 1

18 hours ago, elroypedro said:

I know this is the Rivers thread, but Eli does not deserve to be in the hall of fame. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Rivers looks set to run a very fast paced, throw first offense this season. Lots of people down on him but I can't honestly do the math outside of predicting an "Old-age breakdown". If Melvin Gordon is out I would imagine that just puts Ekler on the field a lot more which probably leads to more passing. Anyone else on the Rivers wagon here? 

12 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

Rivers looks set to run a very fast paced, throw first offense this season. Lots of people down on him but I can't honestly do the math outside of predicting an "Old-age breakdown". If Melvin Gordon is out I would imagine that just puts Ekler on the field a lot more which probably leads to more passing. Anyone else on the Rivers wagon here? 

Shhhhh.....let him slide all the way down draft boards.....

1 hour ago, CitizenJ said:

All the Chargers skill position players are being drafted in rounds 2-7 with positive outlooks, but people seem to be down on the guy who’s going to be throwing them the ball. I think he’s great value. 

The reality of owning Philip Rivers

• He works perfectly in a zero QB draft strategy
  • He plays well at home
  • He will give you some poor games when you least expect it (Home vs CIN Week 14 2018)

So he is who he is. This is my second straight year drafting him as I draft QBs low. If Keenan Allen & Hunter Henry can stay healthy and Mike Williams continues to improve then he will be a practical pick.