NBC Sports Edge Forums

Golden Tate III 2019 Outlook

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

With Coleman out and Shepard injured, it's hard to see a scenario where Tate isn't a rock solid WR2 in PPR.

It will only help that him and Eli will have the opportunity to work more together during camp and preseason on timing, etc. While not 100% confirmed, Shep is supposed to be back by week 1 though.

Giants’ WR Golden Tate is appealing a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s Performance Enhacing Substance policy and believes he has legitimate case, league sources tell ESPN.

Per Adam Schefter.

Lmao at this dumpster fire

22 hours ago, vercrazy said:

With Coleman out and Shepard injured, it's hard to see a scenario where Tate isn't a rock solid WR2 in PPR.

Lol. That scenario that prevents him from being a rock solid wr2 just happened. 

This is getting ridiculous. 

Now all that's left is Eli lead Engram into a concussion over the middle of the field on a lazy pass. 

The internet has a long memory...back from 2013:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/golden-tate-suspensions-seahawks-selfish_n_4349966

Seahawks receiver Golden Tate thinks two of his teammates, cornerbacks Walter Thurmond and Brandon Browner, put themselves ahead of the team, but the team must move on.

In an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle’s “Bob and Groz”, Tate said it was “definitely poor judgement” in response to Thurmond’s four-game suspension and Brandon Browner’s reported one-year suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While it sounds like the fertility drugs he was taking may have been legit, one of the effects I’m sure is it raises testosterone and that’s obviously a no no. He can appeal but he will lose. Athletes need to know what is in any medication before they take it, whether or not it was prescribed by a doctor. 

I think he could have been a legit PPR WR2. Still can be, just have to factor in the four game ban on draft day, which might not be such a bad thing and you can get him at a discount. 

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

I’d be interested to know how and why he only found it contained a PED “days later.”

I'm not even that interested. We all know the league is full of steroids (I think so anyway) so either he's an idiot for getting caught, or he is an idiot for not checking the contents of any drug (over the counter or otherwise) he takes.

Either way he doesn't look great.

• Like 1

Lets see how far he drops. It’s not like you’re (hopefully) going to be playing your wr5 or 6 the first month anyways. If you can get him as that then he’s probably a pretty good bye week/injury fill in when you need it. I think he’ll probably be on a lot of my teams as he drops 🙈. His upside is capped for sure but likely wr3 numbers on my bench is ok with me.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

so either he's an idiot for getting caught, or he is an idiot for not checking the contents of any drug (over the counter or otherwise) he takes.

or he's the smartest WR on the team. it's kinda like when you're a kid and you don't want to go to school, but it's the giants' receiving corps.

clearly, none of the kids wants to play WR with eli or eli jr.

OBJ begged to be traded. sterling shepard had to break his thumb to get out of playing. corey coleman tore his acl to get out of playing.

golden tate's get-out-of-embarrassment free card came cheap in comparison. now he has an extra four weeks to think of a pain-free way to avoid further playing time.

being an adult is more complicated and excuses require more complexity, but the idea is still the  same.

kNzE1kv.jpg

• Haha 3

I think there's probably a chance they'd have given him permission to take the drug if he was really having issues in that department.

That makes me think it's just an honest (but still stupid) mistake.

Edited by Fiveohnine
On 7/28/2019 at 4:58 AM, Boudewijn said:

I'm not even that interested. We all know the league is full of steroids (I think so anyway) so either he's an idiot for getting caught, or he is an idiot for not checking the contents of any drug (over the counter or otherwise) he takes.

Either way he doesn't look great.

giphy.gif

laronlandry.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

🧐

2 hours ago, Sternes said:

giphy.gif

laronlandry.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

🧐

I could counter with images of CMC or DK Metcalf, but instead let's take another famous steroid user:

Lance-Armstrong-2003-Tour-de-France-by-G

Using steroids does not automatically mean you have to look like a balloon animal. It helps (so does HGH, which I think the guy on the left used) but it's not inevitable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, predictably, his appeal was denied.  The NFL doesn't care how or why the drugs got in your body. 

Edelman dealt with the four gamer last year, but Tate and Edelman are two different players with vastly different values.  Now on his third team in two years, I think his fantasy appeal is lost for me.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I think his fantasy appeal is lost for me.

Personally I'm liking him more and more with that late 11th round ADP. If I draft him, it'd be as my WR5 or WR4 at absolute best, so it's pretty unlikely that I would miss him in the first month of the season while he's suspended. Upon returning, I see him as an end of the bench plug-in with a reasonable floor who comes at a great price and will be a month fresher than everyone else (whatever that's worth). 

Bottom line is that I'm not big on many late round WRs at all, and I see Tate as a cheap and relatively safe emergency WR who could end up seeing a lot of targets and will be a threat to feast in garbage time when NY is getting blown out. All of NY's other WR options are either injured, mediocre, or both. They can't throw all of their passes to the RB and TE. 

14 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Can he still practice with the team during preseason? 

If he can I'm gonna like his decreased cost a ton. 

Quote from NY Post:

...This means Tate will miss games against the Cowboys, Bills, Buccaneers and Redskins. He can continue to practice, play in the preseason games and be a part of the team, but only until the start of the regular season. After that, he is not allowed in the team facility until Sept. 30

https://nypost.com/2019/08/13/golden-tates-four-game-suspension-upheld-by-nfl/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

In terms of fantasy production, the first four games were looked at as big time opportunities for this offense. If there are any games to miss, from a team standpoint, it would be these. However, fantasy owners are the biggest losers here. He would've gotten off to a great start. There is still value though.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Thanks 1