NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why? Because he's trying to get the money he deserves before it's too late? It's laughable to me that mediocre QBs get 30+mill a year and Zeke is getting nickel and dimed for wanting 15 mill, which is

Zeke when he finally signs  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Honestly though, what are the odds he holds out the entire season? Anyone have the terms to his current contract?

I believe that if he holds out the contract is in place next year as it is this year.  So if he doesn’t report by week 10 (I think) he’s in the same boat next year that he is now 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, oresteszero said:

Honestly though, what are the odds he holds out the entire season? Anyone have the terms to his current contract?

Very low odds that he holds out the entire season.   And I'd say greater than 50% that he's there for Game 1.

1 minute ago, oresteszero said:

He won't hold out the whole season.  If he does, he loses a year that accrues to free agency.  At most it will be 8 games, and I bet as it gets closer to 8 games, Jerry Jones will start getting leverage as he'll know Zeke does not want to lose that year.  They'll get a deal done.  It's just a matter of whether it's before week 1 or drags on into the season.

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

He won't hold out the whole season.  If he does, he loses a year that accrues to free agency.  At most it will be 8 games, and I bet as it gets closer to 8 games, Jerry Jones will start getting leverage as he'll know Zeke does not want to lose that year.  They'll get a deal done.  It's just a matter of whether it's before week 1 or drags on into the season.

I'm not so sure the accruing a year towards FA matters any more. Gordon and Zeke are fighting a systemic issue when it comes to contracts and the RB position. The position with average careers shorter than the length of a rookie contract. And RB's peaking during their rookie contract or under team control with franchise tag beyond rookie contract (Bell). A smart team can lock their RB up for the peak years at a cheap cost and throw the RB aside when they are done.

That being said, I think Jerry wants to get Zeke re-signed. Zeke is the cog that makes that offense run and a playoff contender.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm not so sure the accruing a year towards FA matters any more. Gordon and Zeke are fighting a systemic issue when it comes to contracts and the RB position. The position with average careers shorter than the length of a rookie contract. And RB's peaking during their rookie contract or under team control with franchise tag beyond rookie contract (Bell). A smart team can lock their RB up for the peak years at a cheap cost and throw the RB aside when they are done.

That being said, I think Jerry wants to get Zeke re-signed. Zeke is the cog that makes that offense run and a playoff contender.

I don't think Zeke is willing to fight the system at the expense of missing paychecks and getting two years older.   Maybe it's great for the up and coming RBs if something changes because of this.   But my guess is that Zeke doesn't give two s**ts about anything other than himself.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

I believe that if he holds out the contract is in place next year as it is this year.  So if he doesn’t report by week 10 (I think) he’s in the same boat next year that he is now 

Yes just like every other player under contract.  Honestly can only remember one high profile fantasy player that did that.  VJax with the Chargers.  

Edited by youngrice
2 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

It’s all relative. 

Look at what Gurley earns. Anyone who tells you they’re happy with getting half the cash as their market mirror is a liar. 

Your right its all relative.  Look at what happened to Gurley end of last year or what all the other big RB signing's did.  That killed the market and dallas knows it.

9 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

It’s all relative. 

Look at what Gurley earns. Anyone who tells you they’re happy with getting half the cash as their market mirror is a liar. 

People seem to forget.......HE SIGNED THE CONTRACT. If he wanted more he should've negotiated THEN. If he got injured the day after he signed would he give back the money? I bought property right before the housing crash. The bank doesn't let me pay less now that the market value went down.

If an owner restructures that is the ultimate sign of good faith.

Edited by this guy right here
11 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

People seem to forget.......HE SIGNED THE CONTRACT. If he wanted more he should've negotiated THEN. If he got injured the day after he signed would he give back the money? I bought property right before the housing crash. The bank doesn't let me pay less now that the market value went down.

It was his rookie contract. As far as I know there is not much negotiating going on there.  Even so, he has far outplayed that rookie contract.  

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

From what I understand there’s a little wiggle room for how to structure rookie contracts, but ultimately the $ value is pretty set. His rookie contract was set according to the CBA agreement. Unless you’re saying Zeke should have just not signed at all and skipped out on the NFL, he had no choice in the matter.

If he waits two more years to get a new contract, he’ll be 26 years old with 600 more carries on his legs, not to mention the injury risk. His chance at a blockbuster contract will be almost zilch. 

RBs drafted in the 1st round have to sign a 4 year rookie contract with little room for negotiation, and then the team also has a 5th year option. By the time their contract is over, they’re 26-27 years old with 1500 carries on their legs and no team is going to sign them to a mega deal (unless they’re a horribly run organization <cough> Jets <cough>).

RBs are completely screwed under the current CBA. I don’t blame them at all for holding out. Now I also don’t believe that it’s likely the best financial move for them. But they really have no other option if they want to try to get a big contract before they’re washed up. 

Edited by gufomel
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Terrible analogy.    Rookies are payed based on a slotted wage scale.     At 24- This is Zekes best chance for a monster deal. 

• Like 3

I'm always amazed by how people tend to be anti-player (labor) when they want to re-negotiate for their true market worth but don't kill NFL franchises when they unmercifully cut/fire people without warning. This happens all the time in the NBA too and it's always the players that are painted as the greedy ones. Some of y'all probably need to be asking for a raise and you might not know it....

• Like 1

Although the press seems to be confident that Zeke will be signed, I wouldn't be surprised if he is not playing week 1. 

We've seen this before with Emmitt Smith.  Any accolade you can put on Zeke ("he's critical to the offense", "they won't win without him") was applied to Emmitt.  They still didn't pay him until week 3.

If you recall what happened, Emmitt held out in 1993 and the Cowboys went into the season using Derrick Lassic.  They lost their first 2 games, which prompted outrage in the locker room.  Jerry Jones then paid him.  Jerry Jones denied that the 0-2 start forced him to pay, but Emmitt Smith himself said that he didn't know if he would still be a Cowboy if they started 2-0.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-09-17-sp-36152-story.html

This year, they have Tony Pollard...another rookie.  Pollard has looked like a beast so far, running behind the Cowboys O-line.  I know it's preseason but he ran with the starters against the opposing starting defense and put up 42 yards and a td on only FIVE carries.  Looked great doing it too.  RBs do not have the learning curve of QBs, WR, or TEs and we've seen many huge rookie RB years.

I'm going to guess the Cowboys will not budge and they will see how they do the first week or two.  Pollard is not Zeke, but if they are winning, then why cave?  The holdout will continue.  Heck, even if they lose, if Pollard is Zeke-lite and they are losing for reasons other than the running game, they still may not pay Zeke.

Pollard makes 800k per year.  Zeke is asking for what, $15 million per year?  If they get 80% of what Zeke would do out of Pollard and they are winning, there is zero reason to pay Zeke.

Note - I feel for Zeke.  I would hate being underpaid too.  However, it appears that the Rams made a big mistake in inflating the RB market and this is the fallout.

Edited by Brownsfan74
15 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Note - I feel for Zeke.  I would hate being underpaid too.  However, it appears that the Rams made a big mistake in inflating the RB market and this is the fallout.

Yeah, Gurley's knee combined with CJ Anderson's production soon after, is going to send ripples through the RB landscape. If I was a GM I'd be looking to bring in RBs on a rookie contract like a revolving door with the intention of letting them loose once it ran out. 

Just now, kball09 said:

Yeah, Gurley's knee combined with CJ Anderson's production soon after, is going to send ripples through the RB landscape. If I was a GM I'd be looking to bring in RBs on a rookie contract like a revolving door with the intention of letting them loose once it ran out. 

Agree.  It makes too much business sense.

Look at Pittsburgh last year.  James Connor makes $576,000 per year.  Le'veon wanted $15 million.  How much sense does that make to pay Bell when you see the numbers Connor was putting up?  They weren't as good as what Bell could do, but he only makes 4% of what Bell wanted.  Spend that money on other parts of the team.

I see that Zeke went back to Cabo, and there is a suggestion that the comments hurt him and that might be why he left.  I doubt that.  It'd be funny if he just had to fly home to take care of some house issue and he was planning to go back all along. 

I don't think he will holdout the entire year.  And as that week 10 deadline nears, Jerry's leverage increases.