NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why? Because he's trying to get the money he deserves before it's too late? It's laughable to me that mediocre QBs get 30+mill a year and Zeke is getting nickel and dimed for wanting 15 mill, which is

Zeke when he finally signs  

Posted Images

Nobody honors contracts in the NFL, it goes both ways so why should the players have to? This concept baffles me. The only difference is the owners can instantly void a contract, the players can't. 

In terms of being able to 'make due' that's laughable. Any of you guys who felt underpaid would do the same thing, which in the real world equates to quiting and finding a new job. The fact is 99% of people in the USA can 'make due' with less than what they make but we still want to be fairly compensated. Football players aren't any different.

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 4

If reported news is accurate and JJ has offered more than Lev $.... then they’ve already decided to pay him.   It’s just a matter of squabbling over details.    A few mill here or there.   What a life these guys have lol. 

Week one chances 👆 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

If reported news is accurate and JJ has offered more than Lev $.... then they’ve already decided to pay him.   It’s just a matter of squabbling over details.    A few mill here or there.   What a life these guys have lol. 

Week one chances 👆 

A few mil here and there doesn't matter. The guaranteed does to owners. Because it allows them to get out of contracts early if they wish. I would expect them to be far apart on the guaranteed. Gurley's guaranteed was enormous for a RB contract.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

A few mil here and there doesn't matter. The guaranteed does to owners. Because it allows them to get out of contracts early if they wish. I would expect them to be far apart on the guaranteed. Gurley's guaranteed was enormous for a RB contract.

Yeah id expect something like more yearly $ but lower guarantee overall.   Zeke has to be the highest paid in one of the two categories.  

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Yeah id expect something like more yearly $ but lower guarantee overall.   Zeke has to be the highest paid in one of the two categories.  

Zeke has to be the highest paid in both for him to accept the contract imo.

11 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Bunch of armchair neckbeards whose coworkers don't all have severe head trauma comparing guaranteed and non-guaranteed contracts to their own experiences. "Just like me and you", eh? Not so much. You can moan about how players get paid too much money (hint: they make the NFL way more than they get in salary, so you'd be wrong), but they should all be able to provide their families some sort of financial security if they have a career-ending injury when they're 25, not just get cut and be left with nothing.

In Zeke's case, I don't think the amount he's arguing about is going to make or break his retirement if he plans accordingly. He's being greedy. End of story.

1 minute ago, m_cox22 said:

In Zeke's case, I don't think the amount he's arguing about is going to make or break his retirement if he plans accordingly. He's being greedy. End of story.

I'll never understand fans that treat athletes completely different from how they would handle their own employment issues.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'll never understand fans that treat athletes completely different from how they would handle their own employment issues.

How many people do you know that have signed contracts with their employer and don't show up for work 2 years before that agreement is up? Tell me how that's going for them.

How many people do you know that have signed contracts with their employer and don't show up for work 2 years before that agreement is up? Tell me how that's going for them.

When you have earned a raise? Plenty. You have the option to re-negotiate or take your services elsewhere. NFL players can't take their services elsewhere because the NFL is a monopoly. Rookie contracts locking players up for 4-5 seasons is a joke considering the average length of players' careers. RB's especially.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, devaster said:

When you have earned a raise? Plenty. You have the option to re-negotiate or take your services elsewhere. NFL players can't take their services elsewhere because the NFL is a monopoly. Rookie contracts locking players up for 4-5 seasons is a joke considering the average length of players' careers. RB's especially.

I agree with you on their contracts. I just think Zeke is being a little over the top with this holdout and its not like they're offering him a terrible deal.

I agree with you on their contracts. I just think Zeke is being a little over the top with this holdout and its not like they're offering him a terrible deal.

If they are snubbing him with the guaranteed they are offering a terrible deal. Because the RB position has a short shelf life and takes a beating and the owners would rather get by paying them as little as possible and get out of big contracts early without the guaranteed.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, devaster said:

If they are snubbing him with the guaranteed they are offering a terrible deal. Because the RB position has a short shelf life and takes a beating and the owners would rather get by paying them as little as possible and get out of big contracts early without the guaranteed.

Is $35M+ guaranteed not enough?

The Cowboys are eyeing the four-year deal on Le’Veon Bell worth $52.5 million with $35 million guaranteed as the floor, but Elliott is focused on surpassing the four-year, $60 million deal awarded to Todd Gurley that includes $45 million guaranteed.
5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Rookie contracts aside (I blame the NFL player's union for that), I'm still of the opinion that the contracts are fair.  It's the guaranteed money that makes it fair. 

The team is basically saying this - "Hey, your job is hazardous and on any play, your career could be over.  I'm going to give you guaranteed money to sign with me so that you and your family have financial security.  In exchange, we don't want you to leave the team for a bigger payday, and we don't want you to put us in a bidding war if you play better than your pay."

Seems fair to me.  If a player doesn't like that deal, then just sign 1 year contracts.  You have to give up something to get that guaranteed money.

What would really be messed up is if the owner tried to get out of paying the guaranteed money for no good reason.  I mean, if the player goes to jail for a crime, I don't think the owner should pay the guaranteed money.  But if the player got injured and then the owner didn't want to pay the guaranteed money, that would be messed up.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

I mean, i can def understand where you're coming from here and you're right earlier, this comes down to guaranteed money.  Which that $$$ number between Bell and Gurley is a ways off. So that is probably the sticking point.  But in Zeke's case, especially Zeke, you have a guy that the Cowboys invested a top 5 pick in that lands him north of $30mil for that rookie contract(man poor Zeke lol).  Jerry especially has gone to bat for Zeke repeatedly when basically no one else did or wanted to and that blew up in the Cowboys face.  I'd say given the first round investment, plus the off the field issues, Zeke needs to have some sort of self awareness  with an understanding that he's simply lucky to even still be in this position to get an extension. People talk about the players getting F'd and in most cases they are, but lets not pretend Zeke isn't one misstep from this being a total disaster further investment for Dallas.  Zeke has earned a pay raise on the field, that i have no doubt.  But he hasn't proven off the field he has and when this kind of money comes into play, it matters. Lumping Zeke into the woe is me players getting F'd just doesn't apply yet for me here with Zeke.  Esp two years out on your lucrative rookie deal and off the field issues.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, devaster said:

Disagree.  Zeke doesn’t have the leverage to push this to the point where Dallas starts to rethink the entire idea of paying a rb huge money.    There’s also other tax benefits to playing/living in Texas, and being a Cowboy is being a celebrity for life.    Advertising is more lucrative with Dallas than any other team.  

15/year with 40 guaranteed.   Boom.  Highest paid rb yearly...Dallas gets to feel good...let’s make it happen