Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

So dallas shouldn't factor in this guy has already been suspended once and was under investigation again this offseason.  

 

Absolutely they can factor it in. And if they don’t want to sign him to a big contract because they think he’s a big off the field risk, then that’s fine. But I haven’t seen any indication that they are concerned about locking themselves into him long-term. They’ve already offered him a big contract, just not #1 RB money which an RB who was drafted 4th overall and exceeded expectations is going to demand.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why? Because he's trying to get the money he deserves before it's too late? It's laughable to me that mediocre QBs get 30+mill a year and Zeke is getting nickel and dimed for wanting 15 mill, which is

Zeke when he finally signs  

Posted Images

Just now, gufomel said:

 

Absolutely they can factor it in. And if they don’t want to sign him to a big contract because they think he’s a big off the field risk, then that’s fine. But I haven’t seen any indication that they are concerned about locking themselves into him long-term. They’ve already offered him a big contract, just not #1 RB money which an RB who was drafted 4th overall and exceeded expectations is going to demand.

 

Everyone knows what he's "going to demand". That's not a question. The question is whether or not they should pay him that $ two seasons before his rookie contract is even played out. And the answer is definitely "NO"...unless they want to cripple their franchise (again).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

 

"The Cowboys made that bed when they drafted him at #4" -

This is 100% right, but you failed to continue your statement. The Cowboys made the bed when they drafted him at #4 with a 4 yr contract THRU 2019 at 24+ mill including a $16 mill signing bonus and 24+ mill guaranteed WITH a team option in 2020 for nearly $10 mill.

 

"Pay the man"? How about live up to the contract and "play the game".

 

He has time to get paid.

 

Zeke (and all other rookies) have no choice when it comes to signing rookie contracts. It’s either sign or walk away.

The Cowboys have Zeke locked down for 3 more years (including the team option) at well below market value. He’s not getting a mega contract at the end of 3 more years of 300+ carries.

RBs are absolutely screwed with the current Rookie contract structure. 

Edited by gufomel
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roto4500 said:

 

Everyone knows what he's "going to demand". That's not a question. The question is whether or not they should pay him that $ two seasons before his rookie contract is even played out. And the answer is definitely "NO"...unless they want to cripple their franchise (again).

 

So it would cripple their franchise to sign him to a huge contract now, but not in 2 years?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gufomel said:

 

Zeke (and all other rookies). Have no choice when it comes to signing rookie contracts. It’s either sign or walk away.

The Cowboys have Zeke locked down for 3 more years (including the team option) at well below market value. He’s not getting a mega contract at the end of 3 more years of 300+ carries.

RBs are absolutely screwed with the current Rookie contract structure. 

 

And the game has evolved to where the RB position is one of the most easily replaced. It sucks for RB’s, but that’s reality. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for these guys contracts as they are... league making them prove it for 4 years and in the middle they are forced to threaten to sit out to get paid... hard knock life for sure...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gufomel said:

 

Absolutely they can factor it in. And if they don’t want to sign him to a big contract because they think he’s a big off the field risk, then that’s fine. But I haven’t seen any indication that they are concerned about locking themselves into him long-term. They’ve already offered him a big contract, just not #1 RB money which an RB who was drafted 4th overall and exceeded expectations is going to demand.

He has 2 year left on his contract.  No team wants to cave to a players demand in that situation.  It sets a bad precedent.  Also who really knows anything about the contract Dallas offered besides the supposed amount.  Just speculation but maybe the reason Zeke has not agreed is Dallas put in a provision in the contract about potential off field issue arising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

 

And the game has evolved to where the RB position is one of the most easily replaced. It sucks for RB’s, but that’s reality. 

 

But that’s my point. The Cowboys said otherwise about what they believe regarding the RB position when they drafted him #4.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, youngrice said:

He has 2 year left on his contract.  No team wants to cave to a players demand in that situation.  It sets a bad precedent.  Also who really knows anything about the contract Dallas offered besides the supposed amount.  Just speculation but maybe the reason Zeke has not agreed is Dallas put in a provision in the contract about potential off field issue arising.

 

I think that’s fair. And as I said, I think the only argument the Cowboys have in their favor is that there’s 2 years left on his contract. But from what I’ve seen, that’s not the sticking point. The sticking point is the $ amount. And that $ amount is going to be #1 RB money if he’s going to play. They signed themselves up for that when hey drafted him #4.

Frankly if you’re going to pay him, I say better to pay him for his peak prime years from ages 24 to 28 rather than sign him to a big contract when he’s 26.

If they had no intention of ever signing him to a #1 RB contract and letting him walk after his contract was over, then a #4 draft pick for a 4 year RB rental was pretty dumb. Again, that’s my point...they made their bed when they drafted a replaceable position player at #4. 

 

Edited by gufomel
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gufomel said:

 

RBs are absolutely screwed with the current Rookie contract structure. 

I would agree if you were talking about a late first round pick or latter in the draft.  I mean Jacobs only got 4 for 11 mil.  Zeke got 4 for 24 mil.  Was a top paid RB from day one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, youngrice said:

I would agree if you were talking about a late first round pick or latter in the draft.  I mean Jacobs only got 4 for 11 mil.  Zeke got 4 for 24 mil.  Was a top paid RB from day one.

 

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

He’s #10 between Lamar Miller and Duke Johnson. 

Edited by gufomel
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gufomel said:

 

I think that’s fair. And as I said, I think the only argument the Cowboys have in their favor is that there’s 2 years left on his contract. But from what I’ve seen, that’s not the sticking point. The sticking point is the $ amount. And that $ amount is going to be #1 RB money if he’s going to play. They signed themselves up for that when hey drafted him #4.

Frankly if you’re going to pay him, I say better to pay him for his peak prime years from ages 24 to 28 rather than sign him to a big contract when he’s 26.

If they had no intention of ever signing him to a #1 RB contract and letting him walk after his contract was over, then a #4 draft pick for a 4 year RB rental was pretty dumb. Again, that’s my point...they made their bed when they drafted a replaceable position player at #4. 

 

 

It's not always about intention. I would think that they would want to resign one of the most important players in their franchise and not let him walk. However, it's about finances and managing the cap. If you have someone locked into a contract for two more years, its gives the organization two more years to manage finances and cap space. In some instances, we've seen in all sports, contracts are ripped up because it makes sense for both the player and organization with deferred money, upfront money, signing bonuses, etc. In this case, the Cowboys have a lot to juggle and that's not devaluing Zeke. Its just saying, hey wait a few years bro or take what we can afford right now lol.

Edited by nonstopfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

$40m is what the market dictates and is what he's looking for.  $35m/year might be possible, but it's likely the Cowboys will have to go closer to $40m than $35m.

If you think Dak is going to get $38M+ per year...well then

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

 

"The Cowboys made that bed when they drafted him at #4" -

This is 100% right, but you failed to continue your statement. The Cowboys made the bed when they drafted him at #4 with a 4 yr contract THRU 2019 at 24+ mill including a $16 mill signing bonus and 24+ mill guaranteed WITH a team option in 2020 for nearly $10 mill.

 

"Pay the man"? How about live up to the contract and "play the game".

 

He has time to get paid.

 

 

Zeke made his god damn bed when he CHOSE to become a RB... he knew they don't get the top $$s, he needs to live with that and play out his contract... I know he's not the smartest guy getting into trouble all the time and came from a very poorly educated college, but this is something he has got to live with.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cowboys made an offer (between Bell and Gurley), it got rejected, and now they just made another offer closer to Gurley.  Sure looks like Zeke is the one with leverage.

I smell a deal getting done soon, if this is how it is going.  Cowboys appear to be caving.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Cowboys should do the unthinkable, offer him lower money that is 100% guaranteed outside of a suspension, and make it a 3 year deal.  Problem is the other owners will go bonkers as they all hate guaranteed contracts.  But Zeke gets the security of the guaranteed money and Cowboys are trapped for 3 years max.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

The Cowboys made an offer (between Bell and Gurley), it got rejected, and now they just made another offer closer to Gurley.  Sure looks like Zeke is the one with leverage.

I smell a deal getting done soon, if this is how it is going.  Cowboys appear to be caving.

 

this. 

he gonna be full go by week 2, fellas. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

 

this. 

he gonna be full go by week 2, fellas. 

 

 

I sure hope... this mfer landed in my lap in my draft and I couldn't pass.... It seems to me a deal is going to just get hammered out fast when it does happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

The Cowboys made an offer (between Bell and Gurley), it got rejected, and now they just made another offer closer to Gurley.  Sure looks like Zeke is the one with leverage.

I smell a deal getting done soon, if this is how it is going.  Cowboys appear to be caving.

 

Or the Cowboys are just releasing this information about a horribly structured contract whose numbers overall look good, so everyone blames Zeke. We have no idea how the contract is structured and how much guaranteed money is involved. The article you posted says nothing of that. $60 million in total means nothing if only 30 million is fully guaranteed.

 

I will say, if I was the Cowboys, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on ANY back. Combine that with a 30 million contract for Dak and welcome to mediocrity for the next 5-10 years.

Edited by kball09
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kball09 said:

 

Or the Cowboys are just releasing this information about a horribly structured contract whose numbers overall look good, so everyone blames Zeke. We have no idea how the contract is structured and how much guaranteed money is involved.

 

Yeah but the new offer has to be objectively better than the previous one, right?  Or they are just antagonizing him.  I have to believe it has more total and guaranteed money or they wouldn't bother.  Maybe not as much guaranteed as zeke wants but more than the earlier offer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...