NBC Sports Edge Forums

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

22 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

They play the Giants, Redskins, and Dolphins. I don't think there will be any freaking out, atleast not early in the season.

I just don't understand how you draft Zeke in the first round until he signs. Is there really that big of difference between Zeke and the next guy you would risk your entire season?

Zeke is just much more likely to sign that Gordon is. 

Gordon is replaceable. Eckler and Jackson are solid, if unspectacular at RB for the Chargers. 

By no means is Gordon a bad player, but he's far from being what Zeke is. Zeke is their entire offense. He's the engine in Dallas. 

Gordon is just a cog on the Chargers. Rivers is their guy, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Eckler...they are a solid team without Gordon and wouldn't see a huge drop off. So why would they pay him? They have all the leverage. 

Dallas doesn't have nearly as much leverage over Zeke because they rely so heavily on him vs Dak. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My map of Southern California.

It's important to note that both Gordon and Zeke are still under contract (unlike when Bell held out), so they have to play this year (or retire).  If they don't play, they will still have the same am

Melvin had a few good runs here or there but Austin Ek would have done the same if not MORE on those same runs. Austin only got 8 touches and still managed to find the end zone. austin + targets

Posted Images

1 minute ago, MidnightExpress said:

Gordon is replaceable. Eckler and Jackson are solid, if unspectacular at RB for the Chargers. 

By no means is Gordon a bad player, but he's far from being what Zeke is. Zeke is their entire offense. He's the engine in Dallas. 

Gordon is just a cog on the Chargers. Rivers is their guy, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Eckler...they are a solid team without Gordon and wouldn't see a huge drop off. So why would they pay him? They have all the leverage. 

Dallas doesn't have nearly as much leverage over Zeke because they rely so heavily on him vs Dak. 

I don't disagree on Zeke being the absolute showcase of that offense in Dallas.  But I think Melvin Gordon is being short-changed.  Prior to getting injured on the worlds dumbest playcall (double-reverse up 3 TD against the worthless Raiders) Gordon was on track for an All-Pro season.  He's a heck of a player.  Not as durable on the ground as Zeke, but few are.  Ekeler is hot garbage, and has showed as much every time he's had the lead role opportunity.  He's no more than a 3rd down receiving back, a poor man's Danny Woodhead.  Justin Jackson seems serviceable on the ground in his limited opportunities.  But Gordon does it all, including pass block, and they are undoubtedly a better team with him on the field.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Can someone explain to me why Melvin Gordon is going in the 5th Round when Zeke's ADP has remain unchanged at #4 overall when as far I know they have the identical situation?

Are people just assuming Jerry will cave and give Zeke the big money?  Of the two, Gordon is just the better human being, and in my opinion more likely to take less than top market to not let his teammates down.  All things considered, I think Gordon is a value.  But maybe there is something I'm unaware of?

From what I'm hearing Zeke is asking for something roughly in the ballpark of Gurley's contract. Let's say $15M per season. Zeke is currently set to make $3.8M this year and $9M the year after. After that, he is eligible to be franchise tagged. This year the franchise price tag for a RB was $11.8M... but let's just say it's $12.5M by that time. If he's franchised again, then it's 120% of last year's value, which would be $15M. So essentially Zeke is under the Cowboys control for 4 more years until he reaches the price he's looking for, and that's assuming he plays at least half the year during that time. If he sits out the full year, then it just pushes his contract back another year. Gives him no advantage financially.

For Gordon, he's asking for around $11M I believe. He currently only has one year left on his deal, at $5.6M. After that he can be franchise tagged. Again, franchise tag for last year was $11.8M, so likely the franchise tag value would be equal to / more than he's looking for anyway. So essentially he could become a free agent. Though again, he also needs to play half the year for the season to count.

Bottom line, Gordon has a bit more leverage given he can become a free agent next year. He will need to show up sometime in order for that to happen (I think it's around week 10, though I'm not sure the exact week he'd have to return), but he can save his body for half the year so it decreases the likelihood he gets hurt heading into free agency. He would also only look whatever the prorated amount of his current $5.6M deal would be for the games he missed.

Zeke could also choose to sit out to save his body, but he'd be doing so just to head back to the Cowboys again next year, and likely the years to follow. So there's no market value incentive for him to do so. The Cowboys also have a decent team this year and will shortly need to start paying some of the players over the next few years, which means they will likely need to let some pieces go. So this could be one of the best times for the Cowboys to contend for a title. Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for him to sit out.

My guess would be that Zeke either doesn't miss any games, or if he does he's only missing one or two just to make a point. Gordon on the other hand I would expect to sit out until the week 10 deadline (or whenever it is) that he has to report by for the year to count. He could show up earlier, but I wouldn't draft him with the expectation he'll only be available later in the year.

EDIT: I just want to clarify I used very rough numbers. I know I'm off on a few things, but I think everything should be close enough for "decision making purposes" so to speak. 

Edited by Idoolittle
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MidnightExpress said:

I appreciate the discussion without being hostile, hard to find on here sometimes!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree though. I think the engine on Dallas's offense is the offensive line. How many players have come to Dallas and ran well? McFadden after he was washed, Morris, Demarco, now Pollard looks good. I'm not saying those guys are as good as Zeke but you can see where they still get production no matter who's in there.

I just think its a team effort to win Super Bowls and that's what everyone wants right? The Pat's are damn near genius's at not overpaying. Hell they wouldn't even pay Dion after a fantastic year. Nor will they overpay for Sony or any other RB that comes down the pipeline. I feel bad for them but RB's are just too easily replicable. Especially when you have a good offensive line.

4 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

I appreciate the discussion without being hostile, hard to find on here sometimes!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree though. I think the engine on Dallas's offense is the offensive line. How many players have come to Dallas and ran well? McFadden after he was washed, Morris, Demarco, now Pollard looks good. I'm not saying those guys are as good as Zeke but you can see where they still get production no matter who's in there.

I just think its a team effort to win Super Bowls and that's what everyone wants right? The Pat's are damn near genius's at not overpaying. Hell they wouldn't even pay Dion after a fantastic year. Nor will they overpay for Sony or any other RB that comes down the pipeline. I feel bad for them but RB's are just too easily replicable. Especially when you have a good offensive line.

awful. 

just awful. 

while i'll allow that RBs are not the vital cog to SB 'chips, i will scoff and guffaw at your assertion about the OL being the driver here. 

Zeke is a complete tool and moron.  that's a given. 

but he's an absolute BEAST - what will be 3-5 yd gains for the avg rb behind that line extrapolate to 10-15-20 yarders wif Zeke .... if not more. 

this kid is a gargantuan talent running the ball - best in the leeg atm - to suggest biz as usual in the running game if he sits is parenthetically absurd. 

go out and get some fresh air ... might help a bit. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

awful. 

just awful. 

while i'll allow that RBs are not the vital cog to SB 'chips, i will scoff and guffaw at your assertion about the OL being the driver here. 

but he's an absolute BEAST - what will be 3-5 yd gains for the avg rb behind that line extrapolate to 10-15-20 yarders wif Zeke .... if not more. 

this kid is a gargantuan talent running the ball - best in the leeg atm - to suggest biz as usual in the running game if he sits is parenthetically absurd. 

lol Just like Gurley is right? How'd that work out for the Rams. Boggles my mind how many people want to win games and not championships.

16 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

awful. 

just awful. 

While I agree that Zeke is one of very few "special backs", Pollard has looked great in preseason and a great offensive line will make a mediocre RB look good.  If Zeke holds out game one and Pollard gets 100 yards and a TD or two, he loses a lot of leverage.  A great line and a decent RB is good enough to win with.

Just now, oban14 said:

While I agree that Zeke is one of very few "special backs", Pollard has looked great in preseason and a great offensive line will make a mediocre RB look good.  If Zeke holds out game one and Pollard gets 100 yards and a TD or two, he loses a lot of leverage.  A great line and a decent RB is good enough to win with.

fair enuff ...

but that stat line from the jalopy Pollard would prolly be like 200/2 or 3 for Zeke. 

it be what it be. 

• Like 1
Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

fair enuff ...

but that stat line from the jalopy Pollard would prolly be like 200/2 or 3 for Zeke. 

it be what it be. 

And if the final score is a Cowboys win 28-13, no one will care.

I am still torn on Gordon's value in a long term keeper/dynasty where you can keep a guy forever.  I assume most people are keeping him but it will hurt to start the season, especially if he misses 5+ games. If he sits out until game 10 that is a rough position to have kept Gordon.  You also assume he hasn't burned bridges like Bell did. You never know how sitting out will affect the team dynamics. Some are tighter and would have his back and others, like in Pitts will go south. The media could spin this situation very negatively too.

As of now I'm keeping him but each day that goes by gets harder.  Part of me just wants to cut bait and get something for him, even a later draft pick.

9 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I am still torn on Gordon's value in a long term keeper/dynasty where you can keep a guy forever.  I assume most people are keeping him but it will hurt to start the season, especially if he misses 5+ games. If he sits out until game 10 that is a rough position to have kept Gordon.  You also assume he hasn't burned bridges like Bell did. You never know how sitting out will affect the team dynamics. Some are tighter and would have his back and others, like in Pitts will go south. The media could spin this situation very negatively too.

As of now I'm keeping him but each day that goes by gets harder.  Part of me just wants to cut bait and get something for him, even a later draft pick.

I was in a similar situation in which the one league I had Gordon, it is a league where you can keep a guy forever. But I ended up dropping him, as our draft started last Tuesday (8/20). 

In that league, we can keep up to 3 players. If you keep only 2, you lose your 3rd round pick. So I decided to roll the dice, aiming to pick up another RB in Gordon's place. I ended up getting David Montgomery in Gordon's slot.

I mention that because depending on how your league setup is, it may be worth it to throw Gordon back into the draft, for a possibility to pick up another RB you like (or a player from any position for that matter). 

5 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

What are the chance this guy makes it back in any reasonable amount of time.  I may be looking to dump him to get past the drama and wasting a roster spot.

Well absolutely don’t do that. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Well absolutely don’t do that. 

By dump I mean trade, but...I have been burned on superstar holds before   ala ( Gronk, Bell)  So my patience is thin anyway.

Edited by Sivaro
2 hours ago, Sivaro said:

By dump I mean trade, but...I have been burned on superstar holds before   ala ( Gronk, Bell)  So my patience is thin anyway.

He's IR eligible in ESPN leagues right now(well at least in mine) so you can put him on ice and scoop someone off the WW

6 hours ago, m_cox22 said:

I don't disagree about the OLine. Thing is, their OLine is incredible AND they have an incredible running back. That only adds to it. 

Winning a Superbowl is definitely a team effort but Zeke is their best offensive weapon with the ball in his hands.

I find it hard to believe that Dallas can win a super bowl with Pollard, Dak and Cooper being their main weapons. 

Zeke is in a situation where he knows this too. He's going to hold Jones up for every penny he can and I don't blame him. 

Also have to add in the the fact that Jones is probably desperate to win another one and I really think he'll shell out for Zeke. I think the Chargers are fine with letting Gordon ride it out and see what happens with eckler and Jackson tbh

Anyway, back to Gordon, as its his thread..... 

6 hours ago, Big Nate said:

First thanks for bringing the thread out of the sandbox and back into the adult world. As for Gordon, I'm not in a keeper so to me it's all about this year and he would have to be ridiculously cheap for me to even think about drafting him. The thing is what if I throw him out in my auction and he IS cheap...hard to know where to draw the line. Personally I'll be surprised if he even plays half a season.

Edited by bomont

In his 53-man roster projection Wednesday, ESPN's Eric Williams wrote to "expect" Melvin Gordon to end his holdout in time for Week 1.

Williams had nothing more to add to it than that, so it remains a bit mysterious. However, this is the real first sign of hope we've seen regarding Gordon possibly reporting to the team. He just doesn't seem to have much leverage here. It doesn't sound like the Chargers haven't budged much with their offer. Gordon might just be forced to play out the final year of his deal and look for a big-money contract elsewhere next offseason. This is different than the Le'Veon Bell situation because Bell wasn't technically even under contract during his holdout. Gordon has routinely been going around the fourth round in fantasy drafts of late.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 28, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

• Thanks 3
6 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

In his 53-man roster projection Wednesday, ESPN's Eric Williams wrote to "expect" Melvin Gordon to end his holdout in time for Week 1.

Williams had nothing more to add to it than that, so it remains a bit mysterious. However, this is the real first sign of hope we've seen regarding Gordon possibly reporting to the team. He just doesn't seem to have much leverage here. It doesn't sound like the Chargers haven't budged much with their offer. Gordon might just be forced to play out the final year of his deal and look for a big-money contract elsewhere next offseason. This is different than the Le'Veon Bell situation because Bell wasn't technically even under contract during his holdout. Gordon has routinely been going around the fourth round in fantasy drafts of late.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 28, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

This Stud is a steal!