NBC Sports Edge Forums

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

In his 53-man roster projection Wednesday, ESPN's Eric Williams wrote to "expect" Melvin Gordon to end his holdout in time for Week 1.

Williams had nothing more to add to it than that, so it remains a bit mysterious. However, this is the real first sign of hope we've seen regarding Gordon possibly reporting to the team. He just doesn't seem to have much leverage here. It doesn't sound like the Chargers haven't budged much with their offer. Gordon might just be forced to play out the final year of his deal and look for a big-money contract elsewhere next offseason. This is different than the Le'Veon Bell situation because Bell wasn't technically even under contract during his holdout. Gordon has routinely been going around the fourth round in fantasy drafts of late.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 28, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

🤞

still don’t see either of these rbs caving.   Dallas will get there with Zeke because they need him to be a serious contender- and he’s the best overall rb in the league.   Gordon will sit most of the year I’m afraid.   Minimize wear while still counting towards a year of his contract.   If they tag him it will be a nice pay raise in 2020-  if he signs it.  

Best hope a trade 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My map of Southern California.

It's important to note that both Gordon and Zeke are still under contract (unlike when Bell held out), so they have to play this year (or retire).  If they don't play, they will still have the same am

Melvin had a few good runs here or there but Austin Ek would have done the same if not MORE on those same runs. Austin only got 8 touches and still managed to find the end zone. austin + targets

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

In his 53-man roster projection Wednesday, ESPN's Eric Williams wrote to "expect" Melvin Gordon to end his holdout in time for Week 1.

Williams had nothing more to add to it than that, so it remains a bit mysterious. However, this is the real first sign of hope we've seen regarding Gordon possibly reporting to the team. He just doesn't seem to have much leverage here. It doesn't sound like the Chargers haven't budged much with their offer. Gordon might just be forced to play out the final year of his deal and look for a big-money contract elsewhere next offseason. This is different than the Le'Veon Bell situation because Bell wasn't technically even under contract during his holdout. Gordon has routinely been going around the fourth round in fantasy drafts of late.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 28, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

I sure hope so but what does he know and is there more to this? There is zero information other than an Eric Williams "said".  Its been too quiet and I'm getting antsy about this situation.

Here's the actual Twitter feed. He does refer to the fact that Gordon will be out 330K per game check. It just seems like he knows what the Chargers know, what Gordon knows, when it's time to put up or shut up, Gordon will be in the building. He does seem confident.

"Missing nearly $330K on his game check."

"Just a hunch."

A team reporter saying "just a hunch" is way of saying, I have my sources.

• Like 1

Beat writers also had that same hunch last year with Bell and look how that turned out....he is better off waiting until week 10 and return if staying healthy is his concern going into a contract year. Not to mention this guy is always hurt.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TT215 said:

Beat writers also had that same hunch last year with Bell and look how that turned out....he is better off waiting until week 10 and return if staying healthy is his concern going into a contract year. Not to mention this guy is always hurt.

Agreed.  a serious injury would cost him tens of millions if he comes back on a one season deal. 

The risk/reward hasn’t changed, but the chance he could join the team to start the season makes Gordon a great value. I drafted him in the 5th round, some took him in 4th, some even later. If he returns any time before week 4 or 5, he’s a great return for his pick. If he holds out till week 10, then the pick wasn’t worth it. The chance to get a 1st rounder in the 5th round or later is a reward worth the risk to me. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Jared24 said:

I believe Earl Thomas found this out the hard way, no?

So, maybe AJ Green should sit out. Chris Harris, Dante Fowler, Andrew Whitworth, Costanzo, Tyreek or Amari or even Ebron. Or maybe Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake should sit out. I can give you even more but I'm not sure if we'll have enough players in the league to even start the season.

Miller was a UFA and s--- happens. Maybe he should have sat out to? No?

1 minute ago, Big Nate said:

Honestly he should have taken the $10M offer and been in camp.

Maybe he still will 🤷‍♂️ 

Safe to say team MG3 is weighing the financial risks with a fine toothed comb.   At least he’s not the #4 overall pick lol.   

5 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

So, maybe AJ Green should sit out. Chris Harris, Dante Fowler, Andrew Whitworth, Costanzo, Tyreek or Amari or even Ebron. Or maybe Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake should sit out. I can give you even more but I'm not sure if we'll have enough players in the league to even start the season.

I get it, you own Melvin.

Keep the faith, my guy 👍

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, TT215 said:

Agreed.   I can't imagine he comes back without an extension.   Why play half the season for a few extra million?  He needs to just finish the year healthy to erase the durability question mark, and he'll get a much better guarantee.   

Its debatable if he should accept whatever offer the Chargers have made I guess, but coming back for nothing, now?  Makes no sense.  

Took the gamble in my long standing keeper league last night.  My keepers are really really good so I felt like I could absorb the risk.

Took him with the first pick in the second (basically 6th round) and took Jackson in the 6th round.  Ekeler was unexceptionally kept.

I'm still bitter about Bell likely costing me a championship last year so I'm not looking forward to the drama of a hold out.

1 minute ago, kevinwayne20 said:

Took the gamble in my long standing keeper league last night.  My keepers are really really good so I felt like I could absorb the risk.

Took him with the first pick in the second (basically 6th round) and took Jackson in the 6th round.  Ekeler was unexceptionally kept.

I'm still bitter about Bell likely costing me a championship last year so I'm not looking forward to the drama of a hold out.

This helps us how?

Gordon was going in the 4th in most of the redraft mocks I had seen, with the occasional 5th.  I imagine this latest Rotoworld Blurb will bring that down to 3rd Round in drafts that take place in the next few days.

• Like 1

They just need to meet in the middle. Gordon is young enough that he's a good investment, he will put asses in those seats. I don't think money wise they're to far off from each other, just meet in the middle 

1 minute ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

This helps us how?

Gordon was going in the 4th in most of the redraft mocks I had seen, with the occasional 5th.  I imagine this latest Rotoworld Blurb will bring that down to 3rd Round in drafts that take place in the next few days.

Ironic that meaningless hypothetical mocks help more than actual drafts?  Where you THINK he's going to go doesn't help anyone anymore then me actually stating where I just drafted him.  

I could care less if it helps you.  I simply stated where he went in my latest draft.

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Why play half the season for a few extra million?  

He needs to play a full season and ball out if he wants to get paid like a top Running Back by the Chargers or another team.  

He’d get something more like McKinnon money at this point rather than Gurley money if he were a free agent. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

AJ Green makes 16 mil a year, Harris 12 mil, Fowler 12 mil, Whitworth 11.5, Costanzo 8.25, Tyreek was days away from huge contract before his issues, Amari 13.92 mill, Ebron 7 mil( one of top paid TE's), Henry had a great 3 game stretch(has to show it for a year), Drake are you kidding me(has done nothing in nfl, dolphins would laugh at him).

None of them are even close to same situation as Gordon.

• Thanks 1