NBC Sports Edge Forums

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

28 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

what's your take on moving him to Washington or S.F.?

I don’t think the Redskins will pursue it... even if Guice is done for the year.  I believe they will hand the keys to the Pinto over to Peterson with Thompson mixing in, and have Smallwood as insurance along with another veteran backup off the street.  

I think they still believe in AD, despite the inactive designation this week. That was an unfortunate situation that arose thanks to Jordan “Glass” Reed’s inability to suit up, which forced them to promote a backup TE and cut a Special Teamer.

If RB was the only piece missing from this team, perhaps they make the move, but I think they know this isn’t a playoff team this year. Better to keep draft picks and cap flexibility rather than shipping off a 2nd rounder and tying up even more salary on a skill positions for the next few years (thanks Alex Smith).

I haven’t heard any rumblings about a trade in the local media, so it would surprise me if the Skins’ made a move.  I know the Guice situation changes things, but I don’t think it moves the needle enough to do something desperate.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My map of Southern California.

It's important to note that both Gordon and Zeke are still under contract (unlike when Bell held out), so they have to play this year (or retire).  If they don't play, they will still have the same am

Melvin had a few good runs here or there but Austin Ek would have done the same if not MORE on those same runs. Austin only got 8 touches and still managed to find the end zone. austin + targets

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Regarding SF... I have no idea.  Looks like it’s only a sprained ankle for Coleman, so as long as Breida is healthy, I don’t see why they do something desperate. They already have a good amount of salary tied up at RB, and need WR help anyway.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Aren't the Redskins essentially tanking the season anyway?  They are going to be eventually breaking in a rookie QB, tons of rookie WRs, if Guice is done then next year they'll be using a year 3 "rookie" at RB, etc.  Why wouldn't they just roll with the dried up husk of AD and dead man walking Jordan Reed, use Keenum a bit and then eventually bring in Haskins, give plenty of reps to the young WR corps, all while getting as high a draft pick as they can?

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Aren't the Redskins essentially tanking the season anyway?  They are going to be eventually breaking in a rookie QB, tons of rookie WRs, if Guice is done then next year they'll be using a year 3 "rookie" at RB, etc.  Why wouldn't they just roll with the dried up husk of AD and dead man walking Jordan Reed, use Keenum a bit and then eventually bring in Haskins, give plenty of reps to the young WR corps, all while getting as high a draft pick as they can?

They aren’t tanking (Gruden’s job may very well be on the line), but I think they are going into the season with a long term mindset in terms of roster construction. “Win now” is not the #1 organizational priority.

They actually played well yesterday, and should have probably won that game if they could have executed at least one of two things:

1) Had ANY ability whatsoever to manage a 3rd down stop in the 2nd half

2) Managed to keep Desean Jackson from looking like he was still primetime DJax who used to outrun everyone down the seam. Thanks Josh Norman.

1 hour ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

He HAS been devalued. That’s why they aren’t paying him what he’s asking.  

But he’s still under contract with the team, and releasing him for nothing would just be silly.

Nonsense.  He can draw his salary anytime he walks through the door.  Minimizing a career ending injury on his rookie contract is good business.

Le'veon forfeited way more money by sitting out and not risking injury.   He got more guaranteed money than the Steelers offered but not as much as he wanted.

The Chargers can choose to negotiate now and try and get him signed to a cheaper deal having more leverage.

Chargers can franchise tag Gordon after the season or let him become a free agent.   Either way he will get a nice bump in salary as long as he remains healthy.

Great on the money post @screaming_vultures  . Melvin wherever you are ... please please watch this video, then watch it again, then watch it just one more time. Let it sink in for a good hour or so, call your agent and fire that butt penguin . Hire someone with the last name ending in Ross, Berg, or Haus . Call the Chargers front office, beg for mercy and pray they let you sign that $10m a year contract. 

On 9/9/2019 at 11:36 AM, KennyWoo said:

I love the colorful language here (literally laughed out loud) and I agree this seems to be the most prudent approach.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ginocan said:

I think highly of Gordon as a football player, but Ack balled hard definitely put a huge dent in Gordon’s leverage. 

Yep. But to be fair he had a ton of space on almost all of his runs. His one tackle breaking one was great. Melvin picked the wrong season to holdout because the Bolts oline looks great run blocking so far.

15 minutes ago, GangGreen89 said:

Not a Gordon owner but just as an outsider's perspective i would believe HH's and Mikes injury will force the chargers to come to an agreement. They need playmakers. 

Eckeler is a playmaker, unless you're suggesting Eckeler lines up wide or in slot the majority of his snaps.. 

33 minutes ago, jujus-jujubees said:

Eckeler is a playmaker, unless you're suggesting Eckeler lines up wide or in slot the majority of his snaps.. 

Correct. He can be used the way the Bears use Cohen but it's getting to the point where the chargers need to make a move. 

Edited by GangGreen89
1 hour ago, GangGreen89 said:

Not a Gordon owner but just as an outsider's perspective i would believe HH's and Mikes injury will force the chargers to come to an agreement. They need playmakers. 

Unfortunately, that's not really how business works. The Chargers tried to make something work and extended an offer out for $10M a year, but Gordon turned it down. The Chargers have since retracted this offer and aren't willing to negotiate at this point. So really, it's up to Gordon to decide how many games he wants to play at $330k a game this year, knowing that he needs to return by week 10 in order to become a free agent. There's an outside shot that Gordon could be traded, or that the Chargers would reconsider putting their offer back on the table if Gordon was willing to sign for $10M a year beyond this year, but I wouldn't hold your breath on either of those happening. Just going to have to wait to see when Gordon wants to return.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, GangGreen89 said:

Why?

Neither of them run the ball. Ekeler and Jackson are doing just fine on the ground.

Hate to keep beating the dead horse but does anyone follow him on instagram or Twitter, anything from him? Just wondering where his mind is now, got to be tough watching other players blow up in what should be your position.

3 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Hate to keep beating the dead horse but does anyone follow him on instagram or Twitter, anything from him? Just wondering where his mind is now, got to be tough watching other players blow up in what should be your position.

He's pretty active on Twitter.

He posted this yesterday after the Hunter Henry injury:

Unfortunately probably reinforces his mentality that it's not worth playing a full season without a longer contract with more guaranteed money.

1 hour ago, jjbooda said:

Anyone watching the game tonight has to be praying that the Bucs decide the backs they have actually do suck and they need to make a trade.   #freegordon

The Bucs don’t have the cap space to trade for Gordon.