NBC Sports Edge Forums

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, ponchsox said:

I can’t see the Chargers FO reaching out to him admitting they need him. They are going to save face and wait for him to report.

I agree with this.   They made their bed, and its definitely arguable (as many here stated already) that Gordon doesn't necessarily save them from 1-2 the way the rest of the team has played.  Their schedule does get much, much easier too.  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My map of Southern California.

It's important to note that both Gordon and Zeke are still under contract (unlike when Bell held out), so they have to play this year (or retire).  If they don't play, they will still have the same am

Melvin had a few good runs here or there but Austin Ek would have done the same if not MORE on those same runs. Austin only got 8 touches and still managed to find the end zone. austin + targets

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Rough Rider said:

Which means that, given the team’s Week 12 bye, Gordon needs to show up after Week Five and before Week Six, since a three-week roster exemption would expire before Week Nine and make him eligible for eight games on the active roster, which would make him a free agent in 2020.

Tbh I wasn't really informed about how much time he can miss to still hit FA in 2020. The rumours of 30 days or week 10 sounded terrible for FF purposes. But if the information from above is true, this is very good for Gordon's outlook to make a fantasy impact.

I imagine the Chargers won't use the full 3 weeks of exemption list. If he isn't totally out of shape, which I don't believe, they are gonna activate him after at least a week if not immediately to ease him back into the game. Then he should be good to roll for the FF regular season stretch run and playoffs.

I don't even expect the RB1 numbers like in the past - just come back and fill my dreaded RB2 spot MGIII! 🙏

• Like 1
3 hours ago, frog34 said:

Tbh I wasn't really informed about how much time he can miss to still hit FA in 2020. The rumours of 30 days or week 10 sounded terrible for FF purposes. But if the information from above is true, this is very good for Gordon's outlook to make a fantasy impact.

I imagine the Chargers won't use the full 3 weeks of exemption list. If he isn't totally out of shape, which I don't believe, they are gonna activate him after at least a week if not immediately to ease him back into the game. Then he should be good to roll for the FF regular season stretch run and playoffs.

I don't even expect the RB1 numbers like in the past - just come back and fill my dreaded RB2 spot MGIII! 🙏

I agree with this. Especially about the exemption. The way this all shook out, Melvin is likely done in SD. Or at very least a coinflip. They are going to ride him on this deal for the last year. And Melvin, when he does come back, needs to compete and should want to show out for his next contract. 

If that timeline is true, it does bode well for us owners. I think it can be RB1 numbers at some point but maybe not right out of the gate. Just explode during fantasy playoffs and I'm happy with the 6th round pick I invested.

It's in everyone best interest for Melvin for perform soon as he's back. Question is when will that be . I'm hoping the Chargers keep losing games, and the run game becomes more ineffective as the weeks pass by.

Just now, RunCMC said:

It's in everyone best interest for Melvin for perform soon as he's back. Question is when will that be . I'm hoping the Chargers keep losing games, and the run game becomes more ineffective as the weeks pass by.

I'm happy with Ekeler and I have Gordon.

4 hours ago, sSektor said:

Spanos is possibly the cheapest owner in the league

Yup. And the most set in his ways. He won't budge one bit. Gordon isn't getting a new deal this season. And he won't be playing unless he is comfortable with that.

7 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Thought I was trippin when I saw #28 for the Chargers on defense yesterday. Melvin wears #28. Apparently, he has switched to #25 amongst all his holdout hoopla. FYI.

Side note: Please come back soon.

He wore 25 at Wisconsin, according to MG he paid $40k to change it to 25.

Rayshawn Jenkins switched from 25 to 23 last year, so 25 became available.

Wondering how soon MG could actually play and produce fantasy points.

I read that ProFootballTalk article, and I am confused. The article talks about how he needs to play 8 games this year but I have always heard he needs to play just 6 games. 

Is the 8 games confirmed? If so that means he needs to be playing by week 9 at the latest, which spells good news for those who have him on their bench right now

1-2, rushing numbers not stellar in real world, an Adam vinatieri miss away from being 0-3.  At what point do the chargers re-open line of communication?  I know they said they would not negotiate but this team had super bowl aspirations.  Ekeler has been great for fantasy but owners care about wins and losses.  

The time is now...

Edited by jjbooda
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jjbooda said:

1-2, rushing numbers not stellar in real world, an Adam vinatieri miss away from being 0-3.  At what point do the chargers re-open line of communication?  I know they said they would not negotiate but this team had super bowl aspirations.  Ekeler has been great for fantasy but owners care about wins and losses.  

The time is now...

Running the ball hasn't been their problem.

5 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Running the ball hasn't been their problem.

111.7 yards per game puts them middle of the pack.  They were bolstered by a large week 1.  They have not been able to effectively run in the second half of games thus the record. They can't grind out wins.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

111.7 yards per game puts them middle of the pack.  They were bolstered by a large week 1.  They have not been able to effectively run in the second half of games thus the record. They can't grind out wins.  

You're making football sense, but don't underestimate the sense of billionaire owners who care more about their ego and winning public feuds over football games.

Edited by FooserX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

That's just music to my ears. I figured Ekeler's efficiency would nose dive the more carries he gets , just not built for a bellcow role. Even Justin Jackson, while fully capable is nothing special. I mean can they get by with this type of run game, yeah I'm sure they can with Rivers under center. But they are nowhere near an elite offense without Melvin Gordon in the lineup. More losses to the Chargers will just compound this issue. 

• Like 2

ok, so ... scoped this on teh Redditz - they left it up, usually they quash any bullchit rumor mill fodder such as this - digging deeper as to the sauce, the reporter in question is apparently in tune with some folk in the know - it's pretzel logic for sure, but ... what the hell - guy is on the Cleveland Plain Dealer staff ... link to tweet:

Melvin to report tomorrow?

no one else has even sniffed this yet, so take it fwiw 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I read the thread. If it's to be believed,, he has a connection to Melvin's agent through LeBron James and Rich Paul.

Take it for what it's worth.

No better game than against Miami to produce spectacular numbers.

Edited by Newtown
  • Like 2