NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose Ramirez 2019 Outlook

9 hours ago, cizastro said:

He's 3rd in the league in SB's so at least he's still providing some sort of return for those of us stuck with him.  He's making the most of when he actually does get on base thankfully.

The thing is, he's been so bad in everything else that it's not even worth it having him in there for the SBs.  He's currently ranked as the 289th player on Yahoo and will continue to drop like he has been unless he does something in his final AB tonight.  Instead of the 5-category force he should be, he's been an extreme 4-category liability.  My team would probably be higher in the standings if I played a minor leaguer in my 3B slot all season instead of Jose Ramirez.  I never thought I'd ever be saying that, especially at this point in the season since this is well after he got going last season.

Still waiting, Jose...

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drafted him 4th overall, arrgghhh... According to statcast, teams have steadily been throwing more breaking balls to him since 2014 and this season he is seeing them at a career high rate (31.6%)

ZiPS ROS projections- .271/57/15 HR/51/18 SB I actually asked the creator of the projections, Dan Szymborski, about the rest of season model for clarification. I wasn’t sure if this was stil

Posted Images

9 hours ago, cizastro said:

He's 3rd in the league in SB's so at least he's still providing some sort of return for those of us stuck with him.  He's making the most of when he actually does get on base thankfully.

Thats like saying “I’ve got herpes but at least they are fun to scratch”

Edited by Baseball Or Bust
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Thats like saying “I’ve got herpes but at least they are fun to scratch”

Not really...10SB especially with 3B eligibility is a treasure. I can’t move him because he is the only reason I’m competing in a category and it’s so difficult to find a proper replacement if he goes

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Not really...10SB especially with 3B eligibility is a treasure. I can’t move him because he is the only reason I’m competing in a category and it’s so difficult to find a proper replacement if he goes

Is it really worth competing in one category when he hurts you in so many others?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, terminator10 said:

So basically hes Juan Pierre gotcha

• Haha 2

I took him in 2 leagues im in 11 total. I traded him early in one. The other is weekly and hes riding the bench. I dont forsee that changing anytime soon. I'm not cutting him hoping he breaks out but i dont expect it. 

As I said earlier in this thread bust of the year. Razzball has him at 43 in the hitter rankings and that seems generous. 

2 hours ago, DownSouthWolverine said:

When is yahoo going to remove him from the “can’t cut” list?

Never to protect leagues from owners with your mindset.  At worst you could sell for .50 cents on the dollar.  League landscapes shouldn’t be changed because a fantasy owner is mad that a quarter through the season his first round pick is underperforming.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Is it really worth competing in one category when he hurts you in so many others?

With his ceiling being a top 3 fantasy player? Yes he’s worth it. Not many players we can legitimately say have a proven ceiling that high 

Edited by terminator10
59 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

With his ceiling being a top 3 fantasy player? Yes he’s worth it. Not many players we can legitimately say have a proven ceiling that high 

Worth rostering?  Of course.  Has he been worth playing so far?  No, he's been an extreme liability no matter how many SBs he's gotten.  His status on the player raters proves that, as SBs can be heavily weighted in them and he's still waaaay down.

Not saying he won't snap out of this eventually, but I wouldn't blame anybody in the slightest if they have had him benched or plan on doing so until he shows a pulse for more than 1 day.

Edited by KilloWertz
3 hours ago, PhilsPhan90 said:

14 runs today, check Jose's contribution.....LOL

To be fair his 1st AB he hit a ball to the warning track. His 2nd AB RBI single, then attempted a SB where they threw home to get Cargo out to end the inning. His 3rd AB he missed 2 crushed doubles down the RF line by 5 feet and 1-2 feet foul that would have been RBI doubles. Then on 3-2 K's. His 5th AB he walks. He saw a ton of pitches today and had great AB's. And just missed having a HR and like 3 RBI's with a double. And still attempting SB's. 

• Like 4

I need a Jram plush toy I can punch in the face before each game lol. 

We seeing any signs he might have a significant bounceback or for you metrics guys is his terrible start backed up by the numbers ?

I see a lot of people aren't expecting a big turn around like Goldy last year and others selling for what they can. Was hoping someone had a glimmer of hope for this guy going forward. He's been especially brutal with the steals during up lately.

59 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I need a Jram plush toy I can punch in the face before each game lol. 

We seeing any signs he might have a significant bounceback or for you metrics guys is his terrible start backed up by the numbers ?

I see a lot of people aren't expecting a big turn around like Goldy last year and others selling for what they can. Was hoping someone had a glimmer of hope for this guy going forward. He's been especially brutal with the steals during up lately.

His statcast data is pretty much the same as it was last year besides a slight decrease in hard hit rate and slight increase in K rate. His exit velocity is exactly the same as 2018 at 88.9 mph. With this all in mind it again begs the question of who he really is. He's been awful for over half a season now dating back to last season. His average exit velocity and hard hit rates are both very average so how did he hit 39 bombs in pretty much 2/3 of a season??? Was he lucky? Did he just homer every time he squared one up? The underlying metrics suggested what he was doing wasn't sustainable and clearly it wasn't.

His profiles suggests he's more of a 20-30 homer guy than a 30-40 guy, and honestly that's being generous. Maybe I'm dead wrong and he's just a guy who normally out performs his peripherals?

Edited by bradwatson
  • Like 1

I’d still bet he gets to 20-25HR and 30-35SB. Anyone doubt that? Even with that SB/HR combo he is elite. He also still has elite contact and PD skills so the average will turn around. Lastly Cleveland’s offense is also turning it around. 

With all that is said above, how is anyone concerned. What part? Not saying he will do last years numbers but top 10-20 seems well within reach 

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I’d still bet he gets to 20-25HR and 30-35SB. Anyone doubt that? Even with that SB/HR combo he is elite. He also still has elite contact and PD skills so the average will turn around. Lastly Cleveland’s offense is also turning it around. 

With all that is said above, how is anyone concerned. What part? Not saying he will do last years numbers but top 10-20 seems well within reach 

I jumped ship. Not optimistic he'll finish with an average above .250 or so with how he is hitting. I don't think ~22.5/~32.5 with a .250 is a top 20 player. Its closer to Tim Anderson than 2018 Jo-Ram

35 minutes ago, Orioles123 said:

I jumped ship. Not optimistic he'll finish with an average above .250 or so with how he is hitting. I don't think ~22.5/~32.5 with a .250 is a top 20 player. Its closer to Tim Anderson than 2018 Jo-Ram

idk khris davis went 48/0 .247. I think 22/32 is >= 48/0. (will come down to if joram can get to 200 rbis+ runs  which seems highly unlikely

overall rank doesn't really mean that much (outside roto). if he goes on a perform like hes capable of ROS he still probably wont finish 1st rd value overall but that doesn't me isn't a 1st rder for 75% the season

Edited by colepenhagen
53 minutes ago, Orioles123 said:

I mean in his 3 full seasons with the Indians he’s hit around .300. That’s a sample size of over 1500 ABs. And nothing in his underlying metrics shout a fall off in BA. I think it’s a stretch to say he won’t hit .250 rest of season. I expect .270-.280. Overall a lot better than last years Anderson (in all 5 cats) so not a huge fan of that comparison. 

If I knew what I know now and the season was starting again I’d pencil Ramirez in for:

85/23/95/33/.275

Elite imo 

21 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

I just got him and it was no bargain price. 

Yeah, I paid a ton for him a month ago. He was also traded away in another one of my leagues. So people are willing to trade him, but it's still a high asking price.

Curious, what did you give up?

7 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

If he snaps out of it and even gives us 2017 JoRam the rest of the way I'd be happy. I haven't been able to part with my #3 pick, call it stubbornness. 

I wouldn't part, either, and just go down with the ship if you have to. For those of you seeking him in a trade, remember all that matters is what he does from here on out, you're not condemned to his numbers thus far. Things change quickly. Look it how Goldie finished after a sluggish start last year. He didn't turn it around until mid-to-late May. Just a month ago, there was nothing but panic in Chris Sale-ville -- 14 and 17k performances later, perceptions have reverted back. 

Edited by IceGoat