NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jose Ramirez 2019 Outlook

jfazz23

3 minutes ago, Bean11 said:

Man it´s so hard....... what to do with this guy in dynasty? I don´t think i can sell him for someone i like. 

At this point, you hold, especially since he is showing legitimate signs of life right now (even if some people don't think so).

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, tonywow said:

How many of you still think his terrible year is to be chalked up simply to bad luck, shifts, league adjustments, or what have you as opposed to possible PED use in the past ? 

Seems like this has been a bitter debate in the past, but the year of juiced balls and everyone jacking HR's doesn't seem to be doing Jram any favors. If he's not hurt, I find it a bit hard to believe the perfect storm of bad luck of all combinations possible is what's caused this downfall rather than something else or a combination of it. I've never really picked either side of the coin myself terrible slump or PED's, I simply just let the season play out to see what happens. Curious what you guys think currently vs what you may have thought earlier in the season. 

I believe it was a little bit of everything, excluding the PED stuff because I don't think that is a legit possibility. The good news is that he is finally showing signs of his old self and has adjusted nicely to how teams are playing against him at least during this most recent stretch. I think he will be fine in the end. Not a 1st round caliber player but definitely a top 30 guy in my eyes. The talent is just too great to give up on him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

Guys hes good now! 

Just a bit. 😀

A 9 game hitting streak, with 4 of those being multi-hit games.  4 straight games with a double, and 8 XBHs total during that span.

I have no idea why it took this long, but it really does seem like he's back.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 12:22 PM, weakkneeswilly said:

This is not Jose Ramirez's breakout. I expect him to be slightly better moving forward but this is who he is for now. 

On 7/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Pretty much. The days of elite Ramirez could be gone. 

His last 20 games he has a .329 avg, 3 HR, 7 2B, 1 3B, 17 R, 13 RBI, 4 SB, 7 walks to just 8 strikeouts, and an OPS over 900. That is elite Jose Ramirez. Everyone was spoiled by a home run binge last year that wasn't his game. He is a 20/30 guy who can hit .280-.290.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CounterPunch said:

His last 20 games he has a .329 avg, 3 HR, 7 2B, 1 3B, 17 R, 13 RBI, 4 SB, 7 walks to just 8 strikeouts, and an OPS over 900. That is elite Jose Ramirez. Everyone was spoiled by a home run binge last year that wasn't his game. He is a 20/30 guy who can hit .280-.290.

I'd up the average a bit to .300 as he proved he can do that easily prior to last year, and he would have been close to that last season if it wasn't for his late season collapse.

I'd say there's even potential for another 30/30 season at some point since he hit 29 in 2017, but you're right, him chasing 40 isn't really him.  Still, it seems like he is finally back, and that's what really matters at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ads7633 said:

So, where do we rank him rest of season at 3B? 

Top 5 3B ROS IMO. There's no 5x5 threat like him at the position. Arenado and Bregman will give him a good run, but JoRam seems back to form. He was a consensus top 5 pick overall this season and I see no reason why he won't play that way the rest of the season. 

• Like 2

He has been absolutely ridiculous over the last month and a half .Since June 15, 145PA, .321/.366/.611  8HR 6SB  7.6BB% 6.9K%. Despite putting up a .599OPS over his first 290PAs this year he's now up to the 47th highest scorer in my league.

• Like 1

What’s there to laugh about your first round pick destroying you in 4 categories for 3.5 months regardless of how he finishes? Most teams that drafted him aren’t contending for championships at this stage and if they are it is completely in spite of him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dislimb said:

What’s there to laugh about your first round pick destroying you in 4 categories for 3.5 months regardless of how he finishes? Most teams that drafted him aren’t contending for championships at this stage and if they are it is completely in spite of him.

Depends on context. In h2h, sure, you have a point. But in roto, it's not how he plays for 3.5 months but rather for the entire season. He's hitting .337-20-8-24-4 over the last month, and his total numbers are up to .245-52-13-54-22. If (*if*) he can stay hot for the remainder of the season, you're looking at final numbers that are not going to kill any team. Is he going to return top 5 numbers? Not a chance, but he won't be a season-killer if he can keep some semblance of this up through Aug-Sept. If he can hit .300 ROS and reaches 600 ABs, that gets his BA up to .265. I believe 15-20 R and RBI is perfectly reasonable for Aug and Sept, if he can keep hitting. That puts him in the mid-80s to low 90s in each category. It's possible he finishes with 25 HR, which isn't great in these juiced ball days, but it's a lot better than it was looking in mid-June. If his final numbers are .265-85-25-90-30, you'll have a lot of owners breathing a sigh of relief.

And what do you mean, "what's there to laugh about"? I haven't seen anyone laughing. Granted, I just read the last page, but I haven't seen anyone laughing or gloating or whatever. I see guys who are ecstatic about his recent production. Guys are happy to have their top 5 pick hitting like a top 5 pick, and they're expressing that. What exactly is wrong with that? Should his owners put on their Eeyore face when they post and not be really happy over how he's produced over the last month? I have a lot of respect for your posts, but I'm sorry, expecting Ramirez owners to not be really happy right now is just a ridiculous position to take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Those who bought low, now can sell high

And then you miss out on the rest of his hot streak, which could last almost the rest of the season.  He did collapse at the end of last season, but the hot streak also started at a much earlier point of the season.

8 hours ago, Unoslacker said:

Can’t wait for JoRam to finish .270 25/30 or even 30/30 

Might be rough to get 30/30, but I can definitely see the 25/30 finish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

No one can get hotter than Jram. His slump was extended, which we haven't seen before,  but he's had bad months before only to get white hot. 

He's going to rake the rest of the year. Finish 20/30 and be a first round pick again next year.

You think he would still go in the first round? Maybe roto where streakiness doesn't matter as much, but h2h I wouldn't touch him first few rounds. In a sport where streaks are the default JRam is possibly the streakiest of all. And his streaks, both the good and bad, are long and extreme.

5 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

And what do you mean, "what's there to laugh about"? I haven't seen anyone laughing. Granted, I just read the last page, but I haven't seen anyone laughing or gloating or whatever. I see guys who are ecstatic about his recent production. Guys are happy to have their top 5 pick hitting like a top 5 pick, and they're expressing that. What exactly is wrong with that? Should his owners put on their Eeyore face when they post and not be really happy over how he's produced over the last month? I have a lot of respect for your posts, but I'm sorry, expecting Ramirez owners to not be really happy right now is just a ridiculous position to take. 

There were laughing/gloating/call out posts, but they’ve been deleted. If I wasn’t personally called out and tagged in this thread yesterday, I wouldn’t have even posted.

I sincerely didn’t even know he has been as hot as he’s been for the last month until yesterday. I have zero shares of him this year (price was way too high IMO, but I’ve gone over this plenty) but have owned and enjoyed having him on several of my teams in the past couple of seasons. He’s always been a VERY streaky player, for better or for worse.

All I’m saying at this point is that no matter how he performs ROS it would not justify the cost of drafting him. I don’t think that’s a very hot take at this stage at all.

• Like 1