NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Jets 2019 Outlook

Iron-cock

New York Jets 2019 Season Outlook

Significant Draft Picks: 1.3, 3.3, and a late third acquired from Saints (Bridgewater trade). 

Cap space:  99M

2018 Record: 4-12

Head Coach/Playcaller: Adam Gase

Defensive Coordinator: Gregg Williams

The Jets enter 2019 with a new head coach and defensive coordinator to go with second year quarterback Sam Darnold.  Quincy Enunwa signed a four year extension with the Jets, Robby Anderson will likely get a RFA tender from the Jets.  

Isaiah Crowell averaged 4.8 YPC and will likely be back for 2019 along with Elijah McGuire.  Bilal Powell is a free agent. 

What will the Jets do in the offseason?

The Jets have almost 100M in cap space, the second most in the league.  GM Mike Maccagnan should realize he can't take that cap space with him if he's fired, so look for the Jets to be more aggressive in free agency and the trade market than previous years.  

5 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Bad year to have 100m in cap space, should've spent it on last year's crop...another example of poor management.

Might as well throw it at Bell.

I wouldn't spend it on Bell, but they could have been more aggressive in the past few years.  

9 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

That Enunwa deal is a total joke. What a great time to be an average WR in the league, ridiculous contracts for everyone!

Everything came together for Enunwa.  The Jets might not have Robby Anderson next year.  After Enunwa they have Charone Peake.  No other WRs are under contract for 2019.  So they'll need a bunch of new WRs this offseason, and keeping around at least one of Enunwa/Anderson who had played with Darnold was desirable for 2019.

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Everything came together for Enunwa.  The Jets might not have Robby Anderson next year.  After Enunwa they have Charone Peake.  No other WRs are under contract for 2019.  So they'll need a bunch of new WRs this offseason, and keeping around at least one of Enunwa/Anderson who had played with Darnold was desirable for 2019.

Still doesn't mean he was worth that much. 

8 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Still doesn't mean he was worth that much. 

He's worth what a team is willing to pay him.  Like I explained in the last post, he basically happened to be in the right place at the right time.  

Also the contract is fairly team friendly:

https://overthecap.com/player/quincy-enunwa/3148/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

They hired a crack head for a coach so the outlook isn't very good.

Serious question to Jets fans. How do they feel about Gase?

I'm happy we now have a head coach who uses uppers instead of downers.

Seriously though, I like the Jets hiring Gase.  He's gotten the best out of quite a few of QBs.  I'm glad we will finally have an offensive minded head coach.  I was dreading some kind of "off the wall" hiring.  Gregg Williams is a solid hire as DC too.

Hopefully Gase isn't dipping too much into Chris Foerster's stash...

On a fantasy note, Gase tends to adapt an offense to the players strengths.  He's had three seasons where his team was top 10 in passing attempts, two in the top 5.  On of those was the Jay Cutler year in Miami.  If Gase is going to let Darnold throw the ball 600ish times, it will bring fantasy relevance to Darnold and some of the receivers.

The one year Gase was OC with the Bears, his team was 6th in rushing attempts.   

Gase will find what the Jets players can do well on offense (lol) and adapt the offense to them.  The key to possibly unlocking a late round flyer on this team will be figuring out if Gase wants to be Pass or Run oriented.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, devaster said:

Jets really need to find a pass rusher or two. Brandon Graham is probably available via FA. Michael Bennett might also be available.

Shane Ray ain’t coming back to Denver, tbd on Shaq Barrett too (pretty sure he’s UFA). Also saw a blurb about the Bucs potentially cutting Gerald McCoy

• 3 months later...

GM fired per Schefter.   I really dont know how you draft a colossal failure like Hackenberg, not win much, and keep your job for as long as he did.  

Like any other team in a similar state, if the young QB is the real deal, they'll be fine.   If he's not, you're toast until you cut him loose.    

44 minutes ago, BrianM said:

GM fired per Schefter.   I really dont know how you draft a colossal failure like Hackenberg, not win much, and keep your job for as long as he did.  

Like any other team in a similar state, if the young QB is the real deal, they'll be fine.   If he's not, you're toast until you cut him loose.    

Why fire him now though? There must have been a power struggle between him and Gase and Gase won. Otherwise why let him participate in another draft after showing how much of a failure he has been the last few seasons?

This happened in Buffalo a couple years back- the new coach came in and the local guys with connections basically dug it out that the GM was going to be fired all along as well, but they didnt want to have to rebuild a draft board/scouting profiles etc from scratch.   The belief is that McDermott's whole "culture/process" shtick sucked the owner right in, and he went about making sure McDermott got to basically pick his GM after that.

TBH, despite this crazy setup, the front office did pretty well that spring/winter***:  FA- Hauschka, Hyde, Poyer.   Draft- Tre White, Matt Milano, Dion Dawkins.   

***it must be noted that they A- chose not to draft Mahomes, but got an extra first to trade out. B- they drafted Peterman.  C- This is the Bills we're talking about, so an offseason with that much success is as close to a home run as it gets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, devaster said:

Why fire him now though? There must have been a power struggle between him and Gase and Gase won. Otherwise why let him participate in another draft after showing how much of a failure he has been the last few seasons?

The team is being run by Christopher Johnson whose major accomplishment in life is being the great-grandson of the founder of Johnson and Johnson. 

This conflict was easy to see coming, I even mentioned in the first post that MacCagnan might go balls to the wall to “win now”.  Johnson could have stepped in before or after the Gase hire and clarified the situation, but he is clueless.  

So the Jets will continue to do Jetsy things, with their only hope for success being a coach or GM being able to overcome the organizational incompetence at the top.

Belichick made a masterful strategic move to leave after Leon Hess died.  

• Like 1

So now Gase has control over the 53 and he's gonna keep it through the GM hire..........Gase??  When did he turn into some kind of top coach that should be given more power?  I'm not fully aware of what coaches were granted this in the past, but i'm guessing ALL of them had a hell of a lot more success than Gase did.    

Is it me or do some of these NFL owners seem like the easiest people to fool?  I feel like I could sneak my way into some kind of role at an owner's meeting, schmooze a bit, and leave there with enough seed money for whatever fake company i wanted to pitch them to retire and live high.  

• Like 1