NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Jets 2019 Outlook

Iron-cock

Jets trade Darron Lee to Chiefs as Adam Gase grabs reins

https://nypost.com/2019/05/15/jets-trade-darron-lee-to-chiefs-as-adam-gase-grabs-reins/

Darron Lee likely isn’t smiling anymore.

The Jets, as expected, traded their 2016 first-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for a 2020 sixth-rounder on Wednesday, a source confirmed to The Post’s Brian Costello.

What wasn’t expected: How quickly Adam Gase struck his first deal as interim general manager since winning a power struggle with the fired Mike Maccagnan earlier in the day. 

In the midst of Wednesday’s stunning firing, Lee sent out a tweet that appeared to poke fun at his now-former boss.

“Good afternoon everybody,” he wrote next to a beaming smiley face emoji, before deleting it.

Maccagnan had previously declined Lee’s fifth-year option, and it turns out Gase didn’t want him either.

Edited by Iron-cock

16 hours ago, BrianM said:

Lol at that writer.   Yeah i'm sure Lee's fuming at getting traded to a contender who has a role for him, rather than being stuck in NY

I thought I read that backwards lol. Who wouldn't want to be on the cheifs now?

On 1/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, Iron-cock said:

New York Jets 2019 Season Outlook

Significant Draft Picks: 1.3, 3.3, and a late third acquired from Saints (Bridgewater trade). 

Cap space:  99M

2018 Record: 4-12

Head Coach/Playcaller: Adam Gase

Defensive Coordinator: Gregg Williams

The Jets enter 2019 with a new head coach and defensive coordinator to go with second year quarterback Sam Darnold.  Quincy Enunwa signed a four year extension with the Jets, Robby Anderson will likely get a RFA tender from the Jets.  

Isaiah Crowell averaged 4.8 YPC and will likely be back for 2019 along with Elijah McGuire.  Bilal Powell is a free agent. 

What will the Jets do in the offseason?

The Jets have almost 100M in cap space, the second most in the league.  GM Mike Maccagnan should realize he can't take that cap space with him if he's fired, so look for the Jets to be more aggressive in free agency and the trade market than previous years.  

Hey iron cock. Your team sucks it big time, and really loves the finish. It evidently is an acquired taste that took years for it to come full circle. 🤣

1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

I'm sure they will have plenty of suitors, because whichever team gets him will get him without most of the guaranteed money remaining. A big discount. Jets would be stupid to trade him because Gase didn't want a high dollar RB.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm sure they will have plenty of suitors, because whichever team gets him will get him without most of the guaranteed money remaining. A big discount. Jets would be stupid to trade him because Gase didn't want a high dollar RB.

if any of this is true, I wouldnt draft Bell simply because chemistry and trust are being destroyed between HC and new star player. That type of situation is not ideal for production

PFT's Mike Florio reports the Jets are targeting Peyton Manning for their GM job.

Manning has ties to Adam Gase from their time in Denver. He's the biggest name that's been connected to the Jets, joining Eagles VP of Player Personnel Joe Douglas and NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah at the top of the list. Manning has turned down front office and media jobs since his retirement, but the Jets' opening could be enticing.
Related:

New York Jets

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBSSports
May 18, 2019, 10:42 AM ET

giphy.gif

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lolcopter said:

PFT's Mike Florio reports the Jets are targeting Peyton Manning for their GM job.

That would be a major stunt.

I have read before that Manning is interested in a front office position. I just wouldn't know why he would choose the Jets when he can simply walk into any of the 32 teams, tell the owner "I would like that desk over there" and they would happily give him everything and include free foot massages.

But if he does, I think that in say 10 years, the Jets could be a major force.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

That would be a major stunt.

I have read before that Manning is interested in a front office position. I just wouldn't know why he would choose the Jets when he can simply walk into any of the 32 teams, tell the owner "I would like that desk over there" and they would happily give him everything and include free foot massages.

But if he does, I think that in say 10 years, the Jets could be a major force.

Why? He basically got to pick his own team for years in IND and they only won once. 

Peyton is the main reason Gase has a HC job...it certainly hasn't been Gase's track record as a HC.

8 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Would love to see Peyton as a GM, who knows how likely that is.  He certainly doesn't need the money.  

With a couple of kids I can't imagine that he would take a GM job in NYC and uproot his family again.

I honestly think his next NFL move is as an owner

On 5/19/2019 at 6:47 AM, joshua18 said:

Peyton is the main reason Gase has a HC job...it certainly hasn't been Gase's track record as a HC.

The most impressive thing on Gase's resume is his work with Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler.  

You can make case for him making the best of what he had in Miami.  It's not a situation like the Cowboys where they underperform the talent level of the players.

10 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

He doesn't have the money to be an owner.

He has enough to be a part of an ownership group. there are only 12 teams who have outright owners, the rest have ownership groups or multi-family ownership.