NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Jets 2019 Outlook

Iron-cock

The Jets have lost ILB Avery Williamson for the season with a torn ACL.   There isn't much depth at ILB for the Jets either.  They traded away Darron Lee in the offseason, and the ILB's on the roster aren't very impressive.  In addition cornerback Trumaine Johnson remains out with a hamstring injury.   If he can't return by week 1, the Bills skill position players might be a good bet against a banged up Jets defense.  

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

The Jets have lost ILB Avery Williamson for the season with a torn ACL.   There isn't much depth at ILB for the Jets either.  They traded away Darron Lee in the offseason, and the ILB's on the roster aren't very impressive.  In addition cornerback Trumaine Johnson remains out with a hamstring injury.   If he can't return by week 1, the Bills skill position players might be a good bet against a banged up Jets defense.  

So, basically start TEs and slot WRs against the Jets every week?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

So, basically start TEs and slot WRs against the Jets every week?

Just start everybody.

To be fair, James Burgess looked pretty good for the Jets last night (even outside of the INT), and the Jets first team defense wasn't all that bad vs the Falcons first team offense.  Maybe they find someone to fill the gap?  Still, it's not a great sign to see injury issues this early in the preseason.

Edited by Iron-cock

3 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Just start everybody.

To be fair, James Burgess looked pretty good for the Jets last night (even outside of the INT), and the Jets first team defense wasn't all that bad vs the Falcons first team offense.  Maybe they find someone to fill the gap?  Still, it's not a great sign to see injury issues this early in the preseason.

the loss of avery williamson hurts. he notched a sack on ryan in the first half. certainly an enormous boon for cj mosely in IDP.

but i'm not ready to write the jets defense off yet.

the d-line was all over matt ryan like it was a fight for the playoffs. falcons first team had no answer.

jets finished the night with 17 pressures (9 against first team falcons), 14 QB hits, 5 sacks.

3 of these sacks were on ryan and against the falcons first string o-line, one of the better lines in the NFL (even without james carpenter and mcgary). you'd think the falcons were doing all they could to protect their $30 million dollar per year leader. really, the jets d-line looked voracious. still some holes in the secondary, now a hole in the middle. wouldn't be surprised to see the jets pick up mason foster for a one-year contract, someone to fill in until williamson returns. foster is capable enough at 30. do not despair, not yet. as a jets fan, fighting off despair at least until october should be in your blood.

thkk7qjypbwedpidxnjs

• 3 weeks later...

Just another one of Mac's amazing picks but jfc, if they were going to fire him, why the F would they even let him draft in 2019? Still blows my mind. Left from 2015-2017 is Leo, Jenkins, Shell, Edwards, Adams and Maye. Maye has too many injuries and I hated the back to back safety picks. I also think Adams was taken too high and leo ihas not lived up to his potential at all. Every pick Mac made was absolute trash and Darnold and Q fell to us so I don't even count those, especially since any GM could have moved up to 3rd. Majority of the guys wouldn't even be on a team's practice squad let alone be a starter. Half the players aren't even in the NFL after a season that he drafted. Basically anything past the 1st round Mac was just picking names out of a f'in hat. I guess it's nice to see them cutting bait immediately but it shouldn't have even gotten to this point. I just hope they've finally got their act together and the johnsons have relinquished all football and personnel decisions.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ugh.  Was hoping Darnold could be a value pick in 2020 but now it looks like we're doomed to Jets being trash to start another year. 

Jets owner Christopher Johnson confirmed coach Adam Gase will be back in 2020.

The Jets are going to see this thing through for at least two seasons. It hasn't been pretty for Year 1 of Gase, but at least the Jets escaped the Battle of the Meadowlands with a win over the same-town Giants last week. Gase's offense is at or near the bottom of the league in most statistical categories. Sam Darnold has actually regressed, and Le'Veon Bell is having the worst year of his career. This team needs a lot of work, top to bottom.

Nov 13, 2019, 12:54 PM ET

1 hour ago, jumper said:

Ugh.  Was hoping Darnold could be a value pick in 2020 but now it looks like we're doomed to Jets being trash to start another year. 

Jets owner Christopher Johnson confirmed coach Adam Gase will be back in 2020.

The Jets are going to see this thing through for at least two seasons. It hasn't been pretty for Year 1 of Gase, but at least the Jets escaped the Battle of the Meadowlands with a win over the same-town Giants last week. Gase's offense is at or near the bottom of the league in most statistical categories. Sam Darnold has actually regressed, and Le'Veon Bell is having the worst year of his career. This team needs a lot of work, top to bottom.

Nov 13, 2019, 12:54 PM ET

Hey, look at the bright side. He can't really get any worse..

.. never thought i would miss Eric Mangini..

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the Jets owner is going to stick to his mid-November comments of Gase being back next season.  If so, it looks like Jet's fans only hope is that Gase does something off the field (domestic abuse, racist comments, etc...) to get fired because he really can't do any worse with what's happening on the field. Tannehill majorly regressed under Gase in MIA and is now flourishing in TEN.  Devante Parker having a career year in MIA with Gase gone.  I'm not sure what else needs to be seen at this point to confirm that this guy is the absolute worst...