NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Darrell Bevell... What up ?

howlin' 2

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

RIP Matt Stafford

Why? This guy seems to think the opposite (I confess I have no idea)
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/01/17/detroit-lions-darrell-bevell-matthew-stafford/2604593002/

Bevell played quarterback in college at Wisconsin, where he led the Badgers to their first ever Rose Bowl victory, and he worked exclusively with the position early in his NFL career.

He was Favre’s quarterbacks coach with the Green Bay Packers from 2003-05 (and the assistant quarterbacks coach for three seasons before that), coached two-time MVP Aaron Rodgers as a rookie and was part of the Seattle contingent that drafted and developed Russell Wilson.

Wilson had the four most prolific passing seasons of his career with Bevell calling plays, and Jackson said Bevell was flexible enough as coordinator to reshape his offense after he moved from Minnesota to Seattle.

Sounds to me like a dream coach for a guy like Stafford who is under-performing quite bit.

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Why? This guy seems to think the opposite (I confess I have no idea)
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/01/17/detroit-lions-darrell-bevell-matthew-stafford/2604593002/

Sounds to me like a dream coach for a guy like Stafford who is under-performing quite bit.

Not a chance. Bevel was one of the worst playcallers in the NFL in SEA...even before the SB loss to the Pats. Criminally shacked his QB and WRs, which Wilson was able to overcome.  

Bevel taking any credit for Rodgers is laughable. Tavaris Jackson is a prime example of what a QB looks like under Bevel's tutelage.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 4:56 AM, joshua18 said:

Not a chance. Bevel was one of the worst playcallers in the NFL in SEA...even before the SB loss to the Pats. Criminally shacked his QB and WRs, which Wilson was able to overcome.  

Bevel taking any credit for Rodgers is laughable. Tavaris Jackson is a prime example of what a QB looks like under Bevel's tutelage.

Hey, at least we know Bevell is going to call pass to the bitter end, no matter the scenario or odds!  That should come as some consolation to Stafford.

Edited by BMcP

56 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Hey, at least we know Bevell is going to call pass to the bitter end, no matter the scenario or odds!  That should come as some consolation to Stafford.

Nice :)

But if you look at his track record, he is terrible for his QB and WRs -- he favors a run dominant offense with low passing volume. Big reason Golden Tate was useless in fantasy until he left Bevel's offense.

And this is the offensive philosophy that Patricia wants. Bad news for Stafford, who can't generate fantasy points with his legs the way Wilson did to counteract Bevel's low passing volume. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

But if you look at his track record, he is terrible for his QB and WRs -- he favors a run dominant offense with low passing volume. Big reason Golden Tate was useless in fantasy until he left Bevel's offense.

I know how misleading stats can be, but this is something I had to research with stats.

I looked at the last three coaching stints of Bevell. In each case I compared the yards during his tenure with the 3 years before and after.

- 2003-2005 QB coach @ GB:  Favre before and after Bevell: 3817 yd/season; during Bevell 3777. I'm going to call that even.

- 2006-2010 OC @  Vikings: all passers (and they had many) before and after Bevell: 3701; during Bevell 3457. I'll give you that one. That was a very weird situation in Minny though with them going from Daunte Caulpepper (before Bevell) to Brad Johnson via Tarvaris Jackson to Brett Favre. 
image.png.7c7c1e3bf528a1b32eea3223b202e9c3.png
- 2011-2017 OC @ Seahawks:  That was 6 straight years of Russ Wilson, but he started with Tarvaris Jackson again, and you can see the rise of Wilson in the yardage:
image.png.53ed6702aacb59db30d4dff4fe950c04.png

The score: 3397 yds/season without Bevell, 3734 with him.

So... Based on the stats, I wouldn't say terrible for the passing game (*).

(*) I have no bone in this fight, I was just interested if I could find facts to support your statement.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

I know how misleading stats can be, but this is something I had to research with stats.

I looked at the last three coaching stints of Bevell. In each case I compared the yards during his tenure with the 3 years before and after.

- 2003-2005 QB coach @ GB:  Favre before and after Bevell: 3817 yd/season; during Bevell 3777. I'm going to call that even.

- 2006-2010 OC @  Vikings: all passers (and they had many) before and after Bevell: 3701; during Bevell 3457. I'll give you that one. That was a very weird situation in Minny though with them going from Daunte Caulpepper (before Bevell) to Brad Johnson via Tarvaris Jackson to Brett Favre. 
image.png.7c7c1e3bf528a1b32eea3223b202e9c3.png
- 2011-2017 OC @ Seahawks:  That was 6 straight years of Russ Wilson, but he started with Tarvaris Jackson again, and you can see the rise of Wilson in the yardage:
image.png.53ed6702aacb59db30d4dff4fe950c04.png

The score: 3397 yds/season without Bevell, 3734 with him.

So... Based on the stats, I wouldn't say terrible for the passing game (*).

(*) I have no bone in this fight, I was just interested if I could find facts to support your statement.

When Stafford has been good, he's been propped up by volume. Bevell has always been near the bottom half of the league in passing attempts. Not a good combo for the DET passing game in fantasy.

9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

When Stafford has been good, he's been propped up by volume. Bevell has always been near the bottom half of the league in passing attempts. Not a good combo for the DET passing game in fantasy.

image.png.90a9004a5c5c4cdfe9c45fce83c3ed7b.png

Yes, a couple seasons were near the bottom, most notably with some lesser QBs; and with Wilson in the early years. However, with Favre, not so much (of course, Favre didn't really listen a lot to coaches, so there's that). You can also see that in more recent years, the Seahawks turned more to Wilson.

22 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Agreed, Coach Pistachio is molding team in his image to show what a defensive genius he is. Protecting his precious image by dumbing down the offense worked at times but in today's games to beat the elite teams you have to be able to put points on the board. Look at thee teams that consistently win they have to have very good if not great play from their qb come playoffs.

Pistachio probably thinks he was integral in the Patriots championships when actually his defenses got torched  Bevell seems content to try and win games 17-14 or less but not holding out much hope that will be the case in Detroit. Boring game plans vs Vikes & Bears will get the leos playing from behind which turns loose the pass rush & pressure on Stafford. Not a recipe for success.