NBC Sports Edge Forums

Auction vs Snake

I am in 3 leagues and they have all changed to auction formats and I have to say it is the best thing that happened.  After going Auction, I could never do a snake draft again and all the members from my leagues feel the same.

The weird thing is when I check this forum it seems like at least 80% of the community still does snake.  What makes it mind boggling is that this is a pretty hardcore fantasy forum and I would think if that is really true then the majority would be auction.

The questions are, I guess is, why are you still in a snake draft? whats holding you back from going auction and fellow auctioneers, do you feel the same?

• Like 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL - This debate is the equivalent to debating whether dogs or cats make better pets. Everyone KNOWS that dogs (auction drafts) make better pets, but cats (snake drafts) are usually easier to live wi

Why do auction draft guys have to always think there way is the only way to draft?   

I've done auction.  I've done snake. I don't think auction is the only way to draft...but I think auction is the best way to draft.   I would do auction in all 3 of my leagues if I

42 minutes ago, RUGOO said:

I am in 3 leagues and they have all changed to auction formats and I have to say it is the best thing that happened.  After going Auction, I could never do a snake draft again and all the members from my leagues feel the same.

The weird thing is when I check this forum it seems like at least 80% of the community still does snake.  What makes it mind boggling is that this is a pretty hardcore fantasy forum and I would think if that is really true then the majority would be auction.

The questions are, I guess is, why are you still in a snake draft? whats holding you back from going auction and fellow auctioneers, do you feel the same?

Our league has been around for a long time and most of the guys are now married and have kids and what not and are halfway out the door as it is.  To try and “complicate” matters would surely make guys just quit.  

I guess its just easier if that makes sense.

But obviously auction evens the playing field.   

34 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Why do auction draft guys have to always think there way is the only way to draft? 

It's the only fair way to draft. I'm not an auction guy but that isn't really all that debatable. 1st pick has a fairly significant advantage over 12th and that shouldn't be how it works. Auction evens the playing field. 

• Like 2

I've done auction. 

I've done snake.

I don't think auction is the only way to draft...but I think auction is the best way to draft.

I would do auction in all 3 of my leagues if I could (unfortunately not everyone wants to switch, in the 2 leagues that still do snake). 

Why do I think it is best? It's really simple. You can draft anyone you want, as long as you're willing to pay the price. You can truly build the type of team you want. There's no blaming of draft position for any shortcomings. If you don't end up with a player you really want in an auction, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Vice-versa, I think it is silly to have no shot at some players simply because of your draft spot in a snake draft.

For people who have done both and prefer snake, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But for those who have never attempted auction, live a little and give it a try!

For those who have never attempted auction, I don't think they can truly consider themselves a serious fantasy football player (which hey, that may be fine by some people). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I play in two leagues every year, one is an auction and the other is snake.  I actually like them both for different reasons and would never want to do just one or the other.  I enjoy the challenge of building a team both ways and there is no convincing me that one way is better than the other.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

It's the only fair way to draft. I'm not an auction guy but that isn't really all that debatable. 1st pick has a fairly significant advantage over 12th and that shouldn't be how it works. Auction evens the playing field. 

Not really, if you take the necessary steps to prepare yourself for whatever pick you are drafting before the draft and put in the work during the season, it doesn't matter where you draft.  Actually, 3 of the 5 years I won it all, including this year, I had the 12th pick and put together some really good teams.  

3 minutes ago, chief79 said:

Not really, if you take the necessary steps to prepare yourself for whatever pick you are drafting before the draft and put in the work during the season, it doesn't matter where you draft.  Actually, 3 of the 5 years I won it all, including this year, I had the 12th pick and put together some really good teams.  

Some systems (Yahoo) don't allow you to prep for your random draft spot, as you only find out a half-hour before the draft.

Which is one of several reasons I don't like Yahoo as a fantasy platform, but I digress :) 

And even if you prep in advance for every draft spot scenario, you still cannot get certain players you want. People can win from any draft spot in spite of that, but that doesn't make it a good system IMO. 

30 minutes ago, chief79 said:

I'm not saying you can't win if you are drafting late. Furthermore, your sample size of 5 is peanuts to larger sample sizes. The reality is, snake drafts give a distinct advantage to individuals drafting higher. 

Edited by Gohawks

Both are fine..........everyone should do at least one auction if you do multiple leagues, but I wont join the "auction or no go" crowd

Advice to anyone shifting or joining a new league- be sure your auction draft is run well.   Have at least 3 people tracking money- pivot tables work great for this.  Have a system in place to prevent someone from bidding beyond their draft dollars.   You want to go in and only have to worry about your team, not things like guys going over the limit or getting an extra player.    Ask these questions ahead of time.   

2 hours ago, RUGOO said:

It's just preference. I bet most people here do both 

• Like 1

Auction removes some of the luck from the draft process.

This year I did 2 snakes and 1 auction. I won 1st place in both snakes, and finished middle of the pack in the auction league. And my draft position was middle/late in both snakes. 

Funny thing is, after my drafts I felt the auction team was the best. A couple injuries can quickly change things (among other things).

Auction drafts are much more fun/engaging as well IMO.

Edited by Members_Only_76
3 hours ago, RUGOO said:

I think the big part is live vs online - doing online auctions and their functionality and practicality are still growing, honestly Ive done auctions in both baseball and football for a while, but only live.  The online leagues I am in, still are snake, so I think its just a matter of that platform growing and people trying it.  So for snakes, there is auto-draft and also setting of your queue and they can be slow with hour long, etc so lots of options - auctions even though you are seeing them online, not sure about offering that kind of flexibility that Im sure a lot of leagues use.  

I greatly prefer auction, but I do think snake evens out the skill level to a degree. Once you get past the top 40-50 players, more casual players start to have minimal knowledge of player situations, etc. With an auction, someone that has a lot of knowledge might be able to pick up 4-5 players that would be 5th round picks just because the rest of the league isn't really as informed. Also, I think auctions generally take longer.

Life is not fair, I prefer the fun of a live in-person snake draft...where your draft strategy is dependent on your draft position and the sobriety of the owners around you.   

Auctions are more like T-ball.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think some of it may have to do with how easy it is to snake draft on your phone.   And how relatively little attention you have to pay in between picks.   So even if the draft time is inconvenient for some managers, they can still be able to participate.   This last season, I had to do two drafts that started an hour apart while I was traveling.   Both were snake drafts.   I can't imagine being able to the same with auction.    

5 hours ago, chief79 said:

I get what you're saying but if a league member was approached before the draft and given the opportunity to take pick 1 or pick 12, 90%+ are going to take the first pick.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I get what you're saying but if a league member was approached before the draft and given the opportunity to take pick 1 or pick 12, 90%+ are going to take the first pick.

I can get on board with 1 over 12 but...

5 > 1 this year at least

Edited by bhawks489

Although I greatly prefer auction (especially for an 'in-person' draft), either is fine.  I would guess that the majority of drafts that use the snake format do so because it's 'easier'.  Whether or not that's a good thing, I don't know.  Personally, I like the control auctions provide.  If you absolutely HAVE to have Gurley, there's nothing stopping you.  Good luck pulling that off drafting from the six-hole.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, RUGOO said:

I've done auction football leagues and snake. Personally, I like both and am good with either. 

Edited by JFS179
Removed instigating comments
  • Like 2

Reading through the thread, it seems most are going at this from the redraft angle. Is that correct? I see some statements about the fairness of draft position in a snake. The only leagues I play in are keeper leagues, and our draft positions are determined based on our finish the previous year. Both are online drafts. 

The auction league I was a part of came when I lived in Pittsburgh and was a redraft (or re-auction, I guess, lol). We did a live auction, and it was cool...I liked it. But then I moved and haven't done an auction league since. Personally, I don't like the idea of doing an online auction. I live in a rural area (my nearest neighbor is more than a mile away...love it), so my internet access isn't the best. It's certainly not the great internet service I had in Pittsburgh. It's one thing, to me, to risk being cut off in a draft...it's something else entirely to risk being cut off during an auction. 

I guess, imho, I don't see an issue with unfair draft position in a keeper that sets draft position based on the previous year's finish. 

35 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Reading through the thread, it seems most are going at this from the redraft angle. Is that correct? I see some statements about the fairness of draft position in a snake. The only leagues I play in are keeper leagues, and our draft positions are determined based on our finish the previous year. Both are online drafts. 

The auction league I was a part of came when I lived in Pittsburgh and was a redraft (or re-auction, I guess, lol). We did a live auction, and it was cool...I liked it. But then I moved and haven't done an auction league since. Personally, I don't like the idea of doing an online auction. I live in a rural area (my nearest neighbor is more than a mile away...love it), so my internet access isn't the best. It's certainly not the great internet service I had in Pittsburgh. It's one thing, to me, to risk being cut off in a draft...it's something else entirely to risk being cut off during an auction. 

I guess, imho, I don't see an issue with unfair draft position in a keeper that sets draft position based on the previous year's finish. 

I couldn't get logged into an quickly in one of my leagues this year. Only ended up a couple minutes late, but the computer drafted me Gurley and Hill (luckily I got in in time to stop the bidding on mckinnon as they were trying to bleed my money down and some other schmuck got stuck with him), which weren't heavy targets of mine in other leagues. It ended up being 1 of only 2 of my teams to make it to the finals, and the only team that won it. If it weren't for the computer bidding up injured and newly suspended players, I might think about joining leagues and letting the computer do the work for me next year. 

The point is, I have no point. Just like this thread has no point.