NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Foltynewicz 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

He can get blown up for all I care cause he'll be on my bench, but what's important is whether his velo rebounds at all. Like St.Steven said he's sitting 93-96 riht now, but he was regularly at 97-99 last year. Haven't seen him hit 97 once yet.

That’s interesting to me.  Took awhile for sale to build up.  If he hits 98,99 that will be huge.  

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd heavily lean towards keeping him rostered, chart was pretty promising again last night: FB- pretty much the same as last time, 95+ MPH average, was just missing spots. Threw 22--15 strikes wi

Basically one bad inning did him in...otherwise very impressive and chart continues to trend upward: FB- continues to gain steam, averaged a new high of almost 97 MPH, topping at 99! threw 37--23

Posted Images

Hit 98 multiple times today and the slide piece was awfully dirty, almost felt like vintage 18 Mike Foltynewicz...here's the chart from today:

FB (4-seam) sat 95.5 MPH, great vertical break, threw 21--11 for strikes with 9 swings and 1 whiff

FB (2-seam) sat 95.3, same great vert action, threw 12--9 for strikes with 7 swings and 1 whiff

SL- very nice dive/dart spin, averaged 85 MPH, threw14--11 for strikes with 9 swings and 3 whiffs

CU- nice little drag shape with it, complements the velo spectrum well at 78 MPH, spun up 11--6 strikes with 4 swings and 1 whiff

CH- great fade to it today, sat almost 87 MPH, threw 9--7 strikes with 7 swings and 3 whiffs

• Like 2

He looked good today mostly hitting his spots.  Gave up 2 long balls, but they were single shots.  His body language from the first pitch was much better.

Curious that Snitker let him lead off the bottom of the 6th, but didn't let him come out for the 7th.  He was only at 67 pitches.  Hopefully he didn't hurt himself on a swing.

4 minutes ago, professorbaseball said:

just claimed him off waivers... is this a mistake? hahaha.. Next outing @STL ...

Don't start him until his velo gets up. He hit 98 once or twice last week. It needs to be there more consistently before I throw him out there

21 minutes ago, professorbaseball said:

start or sit @STL? haha scary...

Yeah it was an encouraging chart from his last start, velo up and slider biting...but STL owns him and it is not a SSS either...

36 minutes ago, Gorilla Steeze said:

Stat line looks good. How was the velo?

Up another full tick (averaged 96+), this after he was much higher his last start (95 MPH). His slider was dynamite again too. Whiffs with all 5 pitches tonight. Arrow looks to be pointing straight upward imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Up another full tick (averaged 96+), this after he was much higher his last start (95 MPH). His slider was dynamite again too. Whiffs with all 5 pitches tonight. Arrow looks to be pointing straight upward imo.

25804009-BA84-48B4-AA72-D31A1DEFB1E5.jpeg

Edited by DearMrFantasy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

His mound presence is back to where it was last year (may seem small if you don't watch him much, but for Folty this is very important).  His fastball was sitting 95 to 97 with ease.  Slider was acting as a good wipeout pitch; albeit still needing to tighten up a little.  The change up was used very effectively (has the advantage of McCann calling his games).  I guess what I'm saying is all of his pitches were working, and he isn't far from where he was last season.

Another great indicator is his pitch efficiency.  I see a couple of CGs in his future this season.  He is close to an automatic start for me right now.

• Haha 1

the 8 Ks in 5 innings was great against a bad Detroit team. however everything else sucked for him. Maybe it was just an off day or the only day of the year that Detroit shows up. either way no way I start him next outing. Another one like this and he can meet mr waivre wire

I'd heavily lean towards keeping him rostered, chart was pretty promising again last night:

FB- pretty much the same as last time, 95+ MPH average, was just missing spots. Threw 22--15 strikes with 10 swings and 4 whiffs on it, great vertical break.

SL- it's damn near back, sat 87, threw 31--24 strikes with 21 swings and 12! whiffs, great tilt to pitch.

SI- 12 of them at 95.5 MPH with 8 strikes--6 swings and 1 whiff, good action.

CU- spun up 9--8 strikes with 6 swings and a whiff, I hope this leads to further use, pitch has nice spin and shape and compliments all his vert movements with its horizontal action and good for his velo spectrum at 80 MPH too.

CH- only 2 last night

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I'd heavily lean towards keeping him rostered, chart was pretty promising again last night:

FB- pretty much the same as last time, 95+ MPH average, was just missing spots. Threw 22--15 strikes with 10 swings and 4 whiffs on it, great vertical break.

SL- it's damn near back, sat 87, threw 31--24 strikes with 21 swings and 12! whiffs, great tilt to pitch.

SI- 12 of them at 95.5 MPH with 8 strikes--6 swings and 1 whiff, good action.

CU- spun up 9--8 strikes with 6 swings and a whiff, I hope this leads to further use, pitch has nice spin and shape and compliments all his vert movements with its horizontal action and good for his velo spectrum at 80 MPH too.

CH- only 2 last night

Good stuff saint! Hoping I picked an sp3....maybe a 2 off the scrap heap.