Mike Foltynewicz 2019 Outlook

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd heavily lean towards keeping him rostered, chart was pretty promising again last night: FB- pretty much the same as last time, 95+ MPH average, was just missing spots. Threw 22--15 strikes wi

Basically one bad inning did him in...otherwise very impressive and chart continues to trend upward: FB- continues to gain steam, averaged a new high of almost 97 MPH, topping at 99! threw 37--23

Posted Images

He's been a bit better in AAA, had a string of 3 straight starts walking 1,2,1 respectively...his last start he went 6 IP 4H 1ER 3BB 6K

He should get a shot again soon, but Gaus came back and looked decent today too.

He should be dominating in AAA with his stuff.  His problem is upstairs and when the going gets tough, he gets frustrated. I think we’ll find out about how the Braves think of him by the trade deadline. I’m not optimistic 

5 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's been a bit better in AAA, had a string of 3 straight starts walking 1,2,1 respectively...his last start he went 6 IP 4H 1ER 3BB 6K

He should get a shot again soon, but Gaus came back and looked decent today too.

When the Braves recalled Gausman I looked at Gausman’s numbers at triple A his three starts were better than Folty’s 

I own Folty I just don’t have any faith 

Folty can still be a stud. We are forgetting that he didnt really have a spring training and wasnt fully in-sync when back in the majors. And I'm encouraged that three of his flaws are being worked on in the minors: Fastball velocity, command and most importantly, finding the slider again.

Numbers-wise, the walks have been low, and the accounts of his command have been good. CHECK

Again, according to reports (via beat writers) the fastball velocity is pretty much back. Maybe half a tick below last year but that is a negligible difference.

Slider, from Folty himself after his last start: “The slider was working really well today, which is the pitch I’m coming down here to work on,” Foltynewicz said. “I had success with it last year and I wasn’t surprised by it, but really relieved that it’s still there. They have a couple of solid big-league hitters in that lineup so I was just really attacking with the fast ball and working on the slider."

The ingredients are there and I think folty will help us all down the stretch. It really will come down to how effective that slider can be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Who knows...Is he for sure coming up next week?

No not for sure at all. I’m speculating that recent performances of Gausman and Fried push one of them to bullpen. And assuming no starter is picked up at deadline. If he performs well tomorrow I don’t see why they’d hold him down any longer. 

34 minutes ago, KidDynamite420 said:

No not for sure at all. I’m speculating that recent performances of Gausman and Fried push one of them to bullpen. And assuming no starter is picked up at deadline. If he performs well tomorrow I don’t see why they’d hold him down any longer. 

Cool. Thanks.

I have talked some smack on the guy because..well I do think he's kind of a poo brain. But for fantasy teams that need back end starting pitching help, I think he's a nice upside guy who you can get for free if he's figured some things out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

looks like he only went 3 innings on july 30th. anyone know why? he struck out 2 and and allowed 0 earned runs off of 3 hits allowed. before this outing he was pitching atleast 5 innings in his previous few outings. what gives here? im assuming a call up is imminent. hes been pretty much lights out the past few outings at AAA.  

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
1 hour ago, Overlord said:

Hmmm ... I have to wonder how close Foltynwiczewciwczecwz is to that 172 day service-time cut-off that would give them another year of control.  

He had 3.163 on his service clock before the season and he was up for a decent amount so far. Also making 5.4Mil this year.

So, no. It's completely irreverent and it's a waste you keep someone you are paying 5M in the minors if he's ready.