NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Foltynewicz 2019 Outlook

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd heavily lean towards keeping him rostered, chart was pretty promising again last night: FB- pretty much the same as last time, 95+ MPH average, was just missing spots. Threw 22--15 strikes wi

Basically one bad inning did him in...otherwise very impressive and chart continues to trend upward: FB- continues to gain steam, averaged a new high of almost 97 MPH, topping at 99! threw 37--23

Posted Images

Just now, herschel said:

So where are we on Folty.  Everyone was screaming drop in the day game thread but looks like he bounced back nicely after a rough first inning and got the win. K’s still look nice.  Thoughts?

He's a ticking time bomb with a straight fastball and who knows whats going on upstairs?  The Marlins got him for 4. Theres probably not a more talented guy on any waiver wire right now though.  For me,hes a hold and play if youre in "swing for the fences" mode and a pass if youre defending a lead or close to the top

• Like 1
4 hours ago, herschel said:

So where are we on Folty.  Everyone was screaming drop in the day game thread but looks like he bounced back nicely after a rough first inning and got the win. K’s still look nice.  Thoughts?

I'm still sticking by what was said in the Game Day thread.  I did say he bounced back after the first inning, but then he had another bad inning before the end of his outing.  I'm glad I managed to get the Win and 7 K's out of him, but I'm moving on tomorrow, especially with his next start being against the Dodgers.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Surprised by all the talk about Folty at this stage, after this brutal year most redraft owners have moved on long ago.

I'm only here because I bought into last year and kept him for 2 more years! Paying for that this year ugh.

Have still held so far because either I keep him for $7 next year too or face a $4 penalty for cutting. That said limited keepers here each year (9) so think I'm better off cutting ties. 

I'll hold just in case last outing was finally the start of a turnaround but not holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Surprised by all the talk about Folty at this stage, after this brutal year most redraft owners have moved on long ago.

I'm only here because I bought into last year and kept him for 2 more years! Paying for that this year ugh.

Have still held so far because either I keep him for $7 next year too or face a $4 penalty for cutting. That said limited keepers here each year (9) so think I'm better off cutting ties. 

I'll hold just in case last outing was finally the start of a turnaround but not holding my breath. 

Slider looked dirty last outing.  Hitting his spots well.  Yesterday he was interviewed during their game against the Rockies and he said he was reluctant to throw the slider because it's what caused his elbow issues earlier in the year.  I remember Darvish saying the same thing about his fastball except he said he altered his mechanics because of a mental block and with re-adjustments, Darvish is looking like his old self.  Here's to hoping Folty has gotten past that block, is fully healthy, and can embrace his slider. 

4 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Playoffs start next week and I think he has a two start week. At this stage of the year you take what you can get.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 1:13 PM, TheForearmShiver said:

Great insights. This guy will be back up and in the rotation once he gets his temper under control. They’ve got some great young arms but need another veteran who will eat up innings. You have to look at it from a Managers and GM’s perspective where they need this guy to get back to what he was last year. They’re not just looking to take the next man up and move on from the time they have invested in him. He’s much more of a known commodity going into the second half and the playoffs and has the arm to give them 200 innings. Fried and Soroka are likely to get capped at some point so adding more young arms isn’t the most desirable gameplan. I’d say Foltynewicz has 2-3 more starts in Gwinnett and gets the call if he continues to be solid. They can’t afford to bail on a 2018 all-star who can help them pitch into the postseason. 

Since Folty returned from the minors, he’s gone 6-0 with a 2.08 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and a K per IP with only 5 HR in 52 IP compared to 16 allowed in the first 59 IP. 

17 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Since Folty returned from the minors, he’s gone 6-0 with a 2.08 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and a K per IP with only 5 HR in 52 IP compared to 16 allowed in the first 59 IP. 

Way to pat yourself on the back....  but you were right. 😀  Just glad he continued to pitch really good last night.

• Like 1