Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Willy Adames 2019 Outlook


swfcdan
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting to finally heat up a bit at least with the power, 2 dongs in 3 games. What's happened to the speed though, only 1SB so far. Thought he was meant to be a threat to swipe 15? He needs to do that to stay relevant as he doesnt have the power of most SSs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 3:46 PM, swfcdan said:

Starting to finally heat up a bit at least with the power, 2 dongs in 3 games. What's happened to the speed though, only 1SB so far. Thought he was meant to be a threat to swipe 15? He needs to do that to stay relevant as he doesnt have the power of most SSs.

 

He has power, he’s young and still learning MLB pitching. I bet he could hit 30 hrs annually 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Nice to see for those with him in keepers. Still not eye popping numbers, but steadily improving throughout the year.

Really like that lineup he's in too. Just hoping he'll start running some more, don't understand why he isn't when he's batting low in order?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know who Connor Kurcon is, but I have a hard time believing Adames has been top 10 good at SS since those first 27 ABs. His BA has been solid since then, but not great (.271). Only 6 HR, 18 RBI, 3 SBs. I haven’t run the numbers...maybe this Connor guy has. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t know who Connor Kurcon is, but I have a hard time believing Adames has been top 10 good at SS since those first 27 ABs. His BA has been solid since then, but not great (.271). Only 6 HR, 18 RBI, 3 SBs. I haven’t run the numbers...maybe this Connor guy has. 

 

I was also skeptical. He has them ranked by WAR - which is not a fantasy category.

 

So it's debatable if he's "top 10" because Tim Anderson is below him on that list, and while Adames had 6 HR's, 28 runs, 18 RBIs and 3 SBs - Tim Anderson had  8 HRs 28 runs, 25 RBIs and 14 SBs

 

So Kurcon's argument about him being top 10 in WAR might not translate perfectly to fantasy rankings.

 

I find Adames has been usable. I like the potential upside with his youth and athleticism. I just don't think he's MUST OWN/START at this point in most leagues. (depends on size/depth of course)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drafted him in a deep league and then dropped him.  He's been sitting on the wire since April.  I've been keeping tabs on him cuz kids like this can get hot mid season and make a difference.  His 2nd half will be interesting to monitor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I drafted him in a deep league and then dropped him.  He's been sitting on the wire since April.  I've been keeping tabs on him cuz kids like this can get hot mid season and make a difference.  His 2nd half will be interesting to monitor.

hard to believe he's sitting on the wire in a deep league.  what do you consider "deep"?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

hard to believe he's sitting on the wire in a deep league.  what do you consider "deep"?

 

12+ teams with expanded lineups, or leagues where you roster 30 or more players.  AL only as well of course.  I've never done an only league, but from what I gather even the bat boys and the guys who throw BP are pretty much rostered. 😀

 

It's really a subjective question in some ways since we all play in different sized leagues with different formats, but generally speaking if you're around 350 or more rostered players, then I'd consider it a deeper league.  Some might disagree, which again is perfectly reasonable since it all comes down to what you are used to playing.  In 15 teamers with large rosters this guy won't be available for example.  I don't think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

12+ teams with expanded lineups, or leagues where you roster 30 or more players.  AL only as well of course.  I've never done an only league, but from what I gather even the bat boys and the guys who throw BP are pretty much rostered. 😀

 

It's really a subjective question in some ways since we all play in different sized leagues with different formats, but generally speaking if you're around 350 or more rostered players, then I'd consider it a deeper league.  Some might disagree, which again is perfectly reasonable since it all comes down to what you are used to playing.  In 15 teamers with large rosters this guy won't be available for example.  I don't think.

 

I'm in a 12 team dynasty league with minor league spots and he is on the waiver wire. Low average guys with limited power that offer nothing in the SB department aren't at all interesting to me.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He’s sitting on the wire in my 12-team, 30-man roster keeper league MIs. He’s just a “meh” guy at the moment. Not showing much power or speed with only a decent avg. I figure someone will grab him eventually, but I don’t see a reason to beat a hasty path to his door. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

His home road splits are insane. 136 WRC+ on the road and 22 at home. If you play in deeper daily leagues and he's nowhere near droppable in your format, seems important to know.

 

Really mind-boggling 

The anti-Coors effect. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.draysbay.com/2019/8/1/20750205/willy-adames-tropicana-field-road-split-analysis?utm_campaign=draysbay&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

 

Doesn't actually say anything interesting as to why these splits are happening or what can make him better at home, but this is a good piece on just how great Willy Adames has been on the road this year (and terrible at home)

 

He's basically been a Mookie Betts level hitter on the road.

Edited by brockpapersizer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

https://www.draysbay.com/2019/8/1/20750205/willy-adames-tropicana-field-road-split-analysis?utm_campaign=draysbay&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Doesn't actually say anything interesting as to why these splits are happening or what can make him better at home, but this is a good piece on just how great Willy Adames has been on the road this year (and terrible at home)

He's basically been a Mookie Betts level hitter on the road.

Maybe he is distracted at home because he lives in fear that a catwalk will come crashing down on him at the Trop.  Or maybe he thinks that when he plays at home he is actually playing away since most the fans are usually rooting for whatever other team is playing there instead of the Rays.    😏

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Maybe he is distracted at home because he lives in fear that a catwalk will come crashing down on him at the Trop.  Or maybe he thinks that when he plays at home he is actually playing away since most the fans are usually rooting for whatever other team is playing there instead of the Rays.    😏

spacer.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

What's this guy's dynasty value? I know Wander Franco is the next big thing for TB at short... will Adames move over to 2B when that happens? Does he have the talent to be a fixture in their lineup (and a fantasy asset) even after Franco comes along? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jnormy said:

What's this guy's dynasty value? I know Wander Franco is the next big thing for TB at short... will Adames move over to 2B when that happens? Does he have the talent to be a fixture in their lineup (and a fantasy asset) even after Franco comes along? 

 

He should probably stay in the MI with Franco, but this is still probably a year or two away. I dont think Adames will ever be a fantasy stud, but I do think he finally has mini offensive breakout at some point in the next 2-3 years when everyone just kinda forgets about him and forget how young he is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...