NBC Sports Edge Forums

Danny Jansen 2019 Outlook

8 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yea, that's probably right. But I still think he will end up being a unrosterable catcher again. But I hope I'm wrong.

Not really sure why you're so pessimistic on Jansen and this great stretch he's going through.  I could understand if he was some middling hitting prospect (he's not), or if he was striking out a bunch even during this (he's obviously not).  Not saying he's all of a sudden going to be the best catcher in fantasy baseball, but I think there's more to this than just it being a hot streak.  Like I said before, it's crazy how it just started out of nowhere, but I'm still leaning towards Jansen being legit.

Jansen didn't do anything exciting tonight, but he's now extended his streak of not striking out to an insane 11 games.

• Like 1
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty crazy if true...  

Pretty dumb to compare those two ABs. Of course your swing will look different when you're reaching for something low and away vs. something up high

10 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Not really sure why you're so pessimistic on Jansen and this great stretch he's going through.  I could understand if he was some middling hitting prospect (he's not), or if he was striking out a bunch even during this (he's obviously not).  Not saying he's all of a sudden going to be the best catcher in fantasy baseball, but I think there's more to this than just it being a hot streak.  Like I said before, it's crazy how it just started out of nowhere, but I'm still leaning towards Jansen being legit.

Jansen didn't do anything exciting tonight, but he's now extended his streak of not striking out to an insane 11 games.

I’m pessimistic because catchers are mainly terrible and Jansen was atrocious for the bulk of the year. He’s been hot for a few weeks. I don’t buy it. I still picked him up and am hoping for the best, but I have rostered about 4-5 different catchers this year and there is a reason for that. They are not very good. I don’t think Jansen is any better than Phegly or Alfaro. Sorry. Just my opinion. I hope I eat crow on that.

Edited by hangin n wangin
2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I’m pessimistic because catchers are mainly terrible and Jansen was atrocious for the bulk of the year. He’s been hot for a few weeks. I don’t buy it. I still picked him up and am hoping for the best, but I have rostered about 4-5 different catchers this year and there is a reason for that. They are not very good. I don’t think Jansen is any better than Phegly or Alfaro. Sorry. Just my opinion. I hope I eat crow on that.

True, catchers as a whole suck.  So did Jansen for a large portion of the season so far.  In my opinion, the main difference between him and a lot of other catchers is the fact that he actually has plenty of hitting ability.  While obviously plenty of people hit in the minors and don't hit in the majors, at least Jansen has a track record of being a good hitting catcher, so that's why I'm optimistic that he's actually legit and not just a fluke.  Obviously he's not going to keep this ridiculous run going forever, but I'd think it's more likely he continues to be a valuable catcher rather than falling back on his face.

We'll see obviously.

• Like 1

Also, Pitcher List just posted one of their good Going Deep articles on him...

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-minor-adjustments-major-payoffs-for-danny-jansen/

He's just not doing the same exact thing he was doing and just started suddenly hitting.  Not drastic changes, but he did change his stance a bit.  Maybe them bringing in Eric Sogard was an even bigger deal than anybody would have thought...

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

As Killowertz stated maybe there is something to the batting stance change. The new stance seems more compact and steady while shrinking the strike zone. The old stance stood taller and had more overall action to it.

April

giphy.gif

July

giphy.gif

• Like 4
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, CounterPunch said:

As Killowertz stated maybe there is something to the batting stance change. The new stance seems more compact and steady while shrinking the strike zone. The old stance stood taller and had more overall action to it.

April

giphy.gif

July

giphy.gif

Pretty dumb to compare those two ABs. Of course your swing will look different when you're reaching for something low and away vs. something up high

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Roto4500 said:

Wasn’t comparing the swings. I was comparing the stance differences. Geez read...

• Like 1

I think a lot was a bit of statistical correction. He obviously wasn't as bad as his stats were leading into the hot streak. He's also not a guy I'm breaking down walls to get either. If you had him for the hot streak, then congrats, but I still don't see him as a top tier catcher or anything. 

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

It's not the swings.  It's the stances.  The stances are different and are exactly how the person described them.  He's clearly more straight up in the first one...

It was mentioned earlier, I believe, but Jansen said he took some lessons from sogard's swing and crouched more. He said he felt like this stance keeps his head still and helps him see the ball better.

1 hour ago, OaksterDan said:

There is an obvious difference in the stance/preparation in the two gifs. Watch the front leg in both, for starters. Looks a lot less nervous & shifty in his July approach. 

Yeah early in the year he was lifting his front foot off the ground a few times before preparing to load with the high leg kick. Now it looks like he's changed his approach to maintain contact with the ground with that front foot prior to his load and big leg kick. This could help with timing in a big way since he no longer has to time each of those little "pumps" with the front foot as the pitcher begins his windup. He can just focus on when to begin his leg kick.

Edited by BostonCajun
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Looks like the ride might be over, he was on fire but since the All-star Break he has been pedestrian.

Have to agree unfortunately.  Obviously he wasn't going to keep hitting HRs left and right and never strike out, but he's striking out a lot again and getting very few hits.  I've still kept him stashed on my bench, but the leash is getting shorter.

Edited by KilloWertz
35 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Have to agree unfortunately.  Obviously he wasn't going to keep hitting HRs left and right and never strike out, but he's striking out a lot again and getting very few hits.  I've still kept him stashed on my bench, but the leash is getting shorter.

And that’s why I was pessimistic. Onto the next catcher who’s on a streak.

I dropped him in a 1x catcher league, but held and sat him in a 2x catcher league.  He has some tough match ups this weeks, but with PT, the ball parks he plays in on the regular, and his minor league numbers he should be monitored in 2x leagues, and in 1 catcher leagues if you don't have one of the top bats at the position.  I've been playing cat and mouse in my 1x league cuz no one holds two catchers unless their top end guy got hurt.  Catching has been a total wasteland this year overall which is kinda surprising considering the fact that so many JAGS are hitting bombs with the juiced ball.

10 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

And that’s why I was pessimistic. Onto the next catcher who’s on a streak.

I was optimistic because of his track record in the minors, and I think that was a good reason to be, but unfortunately the production has fallen off the cliff lately.