NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jon Gray 2019 Outlook

18 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

This is not a big deal for anyone that owned him. Coors pitcher who isn't even that good anyway. I was looking for a reason to drop and this made it easy.

I feel like this is a bit harsh. I owned him in a pretty standard H2H points league. He scored 15+ points ten times this year, and had a point total in the neighborhood of Odirizzi, Wheeler and Max Fried. I guess it depends on the format. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not a big deal for anyone that owned him. Coors pitcher who isn't even that good anyway. I was looking for a reason to drop and this made it easy.

He was amazing for the first 3 innings, incredibly efficient and the command was great. In the 4th he gave up 2 ERs but did a pretty good job recovering until the solo HR and being taken out after the

Best shape of his life?

He’s been pretty decent (considering the state of pitching).  He has a matchup next week against the Pirates that I really could have used.  High strikeout pitchers that won’t kill you in any other category don’t grow on trees. Huge loss for me especially since I’ve already lost 2 aces.  

Jon Gray ranks 7th among pitchers in WAR (baseball reference) for 2019 with 4.9. 

Not saying it’s the best metric for fantasy purposes but let’s take it a little easy here, he’s been good this season. 

• Like 1

The way I look at it is would I trust this guy in the playoffs at Coors? The answer is an easy hell no. So for me, I’m not as interested in his services. I do understand up to this point that he has pitched respectable. But playoffs are where it counts and I wouldn’t start him when he pitches at Coors. So basically I’m gambling if he’s going to get away games during the playoffs weeks and he takes up a roster spot. Make all the confused faces you want, but he doesn’t titillate me.

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

The way I look at it is would I trust this guy in the playoffs at Coors? The answer is an easy hell no. So for me, I’m not as interested in his services. I do understand up to this point that he has pitched respectable. But playoffs are where it counts and I wouldn’t start him when he pitches at Coors. So basically I’m gambling if he’s going to get away games during the playoffs weeks and he takes up a roster spot. Make all the confused faces you want, but he doesn’t titillate me.

Again, it’s hard to have 4 or 5 aces in most league formats.  He could still be a decent contributor (especially with the right matchup).  And I believe he’s pitched better at home than on the road (although I’m not able to look that up right now)

3 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Again, it’s hard to have 4 or 5 aces in most league formats.  He could still be a decent contributor (especially with the right matchup).  And I believe he’s pitched better at home than on the road (although I’m not able to look that up right now)

I don’t disagree with any of this necessarily. That being said, I’m still not excited about a pitcher like Gray at Coors field in the fantasy playoffs. My stance doesn’t change in that regard.

50 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I don’t disagree with any of this necessarily. That being said, I’m still not excited about a pitcher like Gray at Coors field in the fantasy playoffs. My stance doesn’t change in that regard.

Is any pitcher, in Coors, exciting whether in the playoffs or not?

12 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Oh I hear ya.  But then again, I’m nervous about all of my pitchers in the playoffs.  Even if I still had Sale and Snell, I would be nervous about them.  That’s the state of pitching this year.

• Like 1