NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ichiro Suzuki 2019 Outlook

I read somewhere the mariners plan to play him for their opening series in Japan and then who knows after that. For that 2 game series the A’s and Mariners rosters are expanding from 25 to 28 players. Since Ichiro is from Japan It seems like the Mariners are giving Him one last hoorah to play in a Mariners uniform in his hometown. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Useless for fantasy but easily one of the best representatives for the game.  Love Ichiro and hope he stays in the MLB world (not necessarily as a player) for a long time.

Seattle already gave him a front office job.  He is just coming back down into uniform for those 2 games for one last hurrah.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just mentioned it on the ESPN broadcast that he’s holding a press conference after the game, and retiring.

Its been said a hundred times that “If Ichiro wanted to hit for power, he could’ve...”

“You should’ve seen him in BP”

Are we buying this? 

I mean do I think he could’ve hit 12-15 a year in his prime If he really sold out for power, sure.

But the way they always say it makes it sound like the guy had 400 HR pop, but was just like “Nah... I’ll slap some singles”

Edited by Gumbo_Ghost

6 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Just mentioned it on the ESPN broadcast that he’s holding a press conference after the game, and retiring.

Its been said a hundred times that “If Ichiro wanted to hit for power, he could’ve...”

You should’ve seen him in BP

Are we buying this? 

I mean do I think he could’ve hit 15 a year in his prime If he really sold out for power, sure.

But they way they always say it makes it sound like the guy had 400 HR pop, but was just like “Nah...”

“Consider this: In Ichiro's nine seasons in Japan, he played in 951 games and posted a .943 OPS. So far in his MLB career, Paul Goldschmidt has played in 951 games, and posted a .930 OPS.”

ive seen hints here and there that he had pop in his bat along with videos and articles covering it. I think in an 18 yr career if he sacrificed some of that high BA and contact rate he could’ve averaged over 23 HRs a year. Just my opinion and all we can do is speculate til we’re blue in the face

Edited by Wytchclt55

Ya, it’s just kind of become a running trope that he had this secret power.

I’m an Ichiro fan, not like I’m knocking him. Just seems kinda odd that we all go along with it, like if we all just said “Prince Fielder could’ve stole 15+ a season IF HE WANTED TO”

Ichiro punched out on an outside offspeed pitch... Might get another AB, but not a storybook ending 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Ya, it’s just kind of become a running trope that he had this secret power.

I’m an Ichiro fan, not like I’m knocking him. Just seems kinda odd that we all go along with it, like if we all just said “Prince Fielder could’ve stole 15+ a season IF HE WANTED TO”

Ichiro punched out on an outside offspeed pitch... Might get another AB, but not a storybook ending 

If ichiro doesn’t get another AB (which it’s looking like he might!) that umpire won’t make it out of Japan 

1 hour ago, Wytchclt55 said:

If ichiro doesn’t get another AB (which it’s looking like he might!) that umpire won’t make it out of Japan 

He did and grounded out but it was close at 1B.

This is from my post in the game thread but it belongs here more and this thread will drop off the map soon anyway so don't delete this please mods:

Yeah those announcers were terrible with this moment.  For most of the damn game they were  half "carve his face on Mount Fuji" and half a death bed watch.  They had no idea how to handle this the right and classy way.  No wonder they are the "Z Team" ESPN announcers.

The one thing they did right was the story of how the analyst, back when he was a teammate of Ichiro, stole one of Ichiro's bats from Ichiro's private, humidified, traveling bat trunk and promptly got a hit off of it.  Ichiro was none to happy at all about the theft but gave him the bat after autographing it with something in Japanese that the analyst still hasn't been able to get translated which is probably for the best, hah.  It is stories like this that are good for a player's last day.  Not the death watch crap.

That and it wasn't Ichiro but it was Kikuchi who was actually wiping away tears when Ichiro came out and the entire Mariner team was on the field giving him hugs.  And I tuned in late.  Was that Ken Griffey Jr in the dugout to hug him too?

And yes it was Griffey Jr.  Thanks, adifazio27.

And I loved learning that Ichiro always traveled on the road with a locked, private humidified trunk for his bats.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory