NBC Sports Edge Forums

A.J. Pollock 2019 Outlook

35 minutes ago, abachar said:

Are those without free IL spots holding this guy?

I've got him signed for this year and next year and will dump if a FA really excites me.  In the meantime, I'm holding.  No IL spots in a 5x5 roto 10 team format.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got that right. who is on first what is on second I do know who is on short & third is why playing left & because is in center.  Is Bellinger an outfielder or first baseman

That's because there were so many it's tough to remember them all

That's odd. He's usually an Ironman type.  

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I mean, people had to know it was coming.

Yeah, the injury is less concerning to me than the performance YTD.  Usually you get pretty outstanding 5 category contributions when he is healthy but so far this season it has been 2 HR, bad BA and 0 SB to go with useful but not great R/RBI.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

How do you get infection INSIDE the elbow? Maybe they meant inflammation? Either way, just IL him right now please so I can add someone.

I'm not sure if there's a miscommunication here and it isn't an infection IN the elbow like we're left thinking, but I believe this is the elbow he's had surgery on. It's not uncommon to have infections post surgery, though usually a bit earlier post-op.

7 hours ago, AHF said:

Yeah, the injury is less concerning to me than the performance YTD.  Usually you get pretty outstanding 5 category contributions when he is healthy but so far this season it has been 2 HR, bad BA and 0 SB to go with useful but not great R/RBI.

Agreed.  Small sample size on the season, but it looks like the injuries over the years have sapped both his speed and power.

I'm just skeptical that the Dodgers are ever going to let him run and when you combine that with the weak start and ever present injury risk it makes for a suspect profile for this season.  Got swept up in the hype train on the Nate Lowe thread and picked him up and dropped Pollock.  That will incur a penalty for me in next year's auction draft fwiw (although I think that is a sunk cost given his price).

Edited by AHF

this ain't good:

A.J. Pollock is scheduled to undergo an exploratory procedure to determine the severity of his right elbow infection.

There should be more information available later this week -- hopefully an exact diagnosis as to what Pollock is dealing with. He was placed on the 10-day injured list on Tuesday evening and there is currently no timetable for his return to the Dodgers' active roster. 

Surgery on table.  I own zero shares this year, did last year.  This guy might he the easiest DND player in mlb.  He literally runs into injuries, infections, who knows.  Simply do not draft again.  He’s not worth the headache.  

Well at least we probably know why he sucked all of a sudden. Always frustrating owning someone for the first time as soon as they fall of a cliff.

Dodgers must be regretting that deal. Verdugo's job to lose now. Cut in anything but deepers if you don't have a DL spot for him.

Well...  this issue is likely *why* he has been so bad.

I'm out, cut him this morning.   Too bad the guy can't catch a break, he's so good when actually healthy.

2 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Thoughts on his dynasty outlook? He will be 32 next year and is often injured. Then again, when healthy he consistently has played at a high level.

I significantly downgrade it at this point.  I would say there is major injury risk and that his early season performance puts an additional risk on what you get when healthy. I don’t play dynasty but cut him in a keeper league where I’ve owned him for the last 5 years and still have him under contract for next season (meaning I will have to pay a cut penalty).  I hope he recovers but I don’t view him as a good risk / reward bet anymore.

If having him on your roster doesn’t take up resources and your league is deep enough that you can’t find promising talent on the wire then I would hold him and see what develops.  For my format, he was a cut.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, SpartyinFoCo said:

How do you get infection INSIDE the elbow? Maybe they meant inflammation? Either way, just IL him right now please so I can add someone.

He has a metal plate in it from when he broke it a few years ago.

Now confirmed he will be getting surgery. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/a-j-pollock-elbow-surgery-dodgers.html

13 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Thoughts on his dynasty outlook? He will be 32 next year and is often injured. Then again, when healthy he consistently has played at a high level.

I cut him in a dynasty half way through last year for Austin Meadows whose owner dropped Meadows like an idiot.  It was obvious AJ was on a steep decline even minus his endless injuries so no he hasn't been consistent when healthy of late.  There are plenty of younger up and coming players to use his slot on in dynasty.  Don't hold on to someone like this out of nostalgia when there are way better options for that slot on your team or you will miss the next big one coming down the road.  Nothing wrong with having older vets in a dynasty ... if they are producing.  But if not and they have become an endless albatross?  Well keep the conga line moving in a dynasty.  So, thanks for the memories AJ but time for you to go.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, SpartyinFoCo said:

From what i've read it sounds like a case of septic arthritis. I read an article that mentioned that following his last elbow surgery he had a screw placed, it's possible that bacteria on the screw led to the infection of the elbow.

It seems like he will be out for a while though

Pollock (elbow) has a "PICC line" in his body to help eradicate an infection that will sideline him for at least six more weeks, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports.

Analysis: The PICC line inserted into Pollock's left biceps will give him a steady dose of antibiotics in an effort to get rid of an infection in his right elbow, an issue that popped up following surgery. He'll remain on the shelf for at least six more weeks while the medication does its job, and he'll undoubtedly need more time to get back into baseball shape once the infection clears up. A firm timetable for his return has yet to be released by the Dodgers.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

does this dude even play regularly when he returns? hes sitting on the wire in what looks to be most leagues. anyone making the add? he should be started a rehab assignment in the next couple days. 

Logically he shouldnt get much playing time since the Dodgers current OF is doing very well but this situation could very easily get over-managed. The Dodgers are already doing silly things (Joc at 1B) so who knows really.

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

does this dude even play regularly when he returns? hes sitting on the wire in what looks to be most leagues. anyone making the add? he should be started a rehab assignment in the next couple days. 

He will play sporadically and when he does, he won't do anything for fantasy except cockblock Verdugo who is deserving of an everyday role but now will be forced to platoon.