NBC Sports Edge Forums

Andrew McCutchen

BirdDog20

Any rumblings on a possible callup if Xavier Nady has to be pushed to the DL? Who would get the call him or Pearce?

As soon as I saw the replay on Nady jamming his shoulder into the RF brick wall, I thought that with as much pain as he showed on his face, it looked like a DL stint. Immediately picked up McCutchen (for Chris Duncan) in speculation. I could use some cheap steals. lol.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it's McCutchen but I can see it being Pearce...Pearce is 3 years older and they will probably give Pearce his shot...if he falters and Nady is still hurt than I can see McCutchen getting the call...

I hope it's McCutchen but I can see it being Pearce...Pearce is 3 years older and they will probably give Pearce his shot...if he falters and Nady is still hurt than I can see McCutchen getting the call...

You think there is a chance we see them both with the big club August 1st?

You think there is a chance we see them both with the big club August 1st?

Highly doubt it if the rosters stay the same...if they both were to be up that would mean either Bay, Nady, or McLouth got hurt or traded...the Pirates are however supposed to make a couple of moves around the All-Star Break...I can see Bay getting traded which could bring Pearce up for the remainder of the year...after this year Pearce will take LaRoche's spot at 1st base and McCutchen will take the OF spot

• 1 month later...

Any chance he gets an extended look now with Bay gone? Seems to me like they are clearing up the OF for the minor prospects they have. He should at least get a call up since he is one of the top prospects in all the minor leagues IMO.

Definetly a september callup (at the very least), i'd say.

He's one to keep in mind for those with a top 5 waiver in keepers/dynasties.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

McCutchen isn't even projected to be in their OF to start the season?

I personally dont think Moss or Pearce have the amount of talent that McCutchen has. I'm sure hes going to get the call during the season i just wish they would let me work with teh midnset that he is going to be a starter.

I traded for him right before Nady got traded and i was for sure that this kid was going to get the call, but they are being cautious w/ this kid.

McCutchen isn't even projected to be in their OF to start the season?

I personally dont think Moss or Pearce have the amount of talent that McCutchen has. I'm sure hes going to get the call during the season i just wish they would let me work with teh midnset that he is going to be a starter.

I traded for him right before Nady got traded and i was for sure that this kid was going to get the call, but they are being cautious w/ this kid.

Whatever it takes for him to be a stud.

A hopeful scenario for AM owners is that FA to be LaRoche gets dealt, they move Pearce to 1st making room for AM in the OF. Even though he got a gold glove I don't think Nate will remain in center. Just hometown speculation.

A hopeful scenario for AM owners is that FA to be LaRoche gets dealt, they move Pearce to 1st making room for AM in the OF. Even though he got a gold glove I don't think Nate will remain in center. Just hometown speculation.

According to the fielding bible I think McLouth was a below average CF. I forget tho.

According to the fielding bible I think McLouth was a below average CF. I forget tho.

His range sucks pretty much, gets bad reads or something on fly balls, slow breaking to ball, lets alot of trackable balls drop in.... imo.

• 1 month later...

From RotoWorld Homepage: Steve Pearce has a strained right calf and will be limited to batting practice over the next few days. Pirates manager John Russell made the revelation Thursday afternoon. Pearce is considered day to day, but missing time is going to hurt his chances of making the big club.

What type of value does McCutchen have this season regardless of the Pearce news. I have considered trading him in my keeper league, but have read places that he is a top 3 prospect fantasy wise this season...meaning that he has a good chance at making an impact. What are your thoughts?

From RotoWorld Homepage: Steve Pearce has a strained right calf and will be limited to batting practice over the next few days. Pirates manager John Russell made the revelation Thursday afternoon. Pearce is considered day to day, but missing time is going to hurt his chances of making the big club.

What type of value does McCutchen have this season regardless of the Pearce news. I have considered trading him in my keeper league, but have read places that he is a top 3 prospect fantasy wise this season...meaning that he has a good chance at making an impact. What are your thoughts?

I don't know...he's been pretty putrid in his ABs so far this spring. I have a feeling the Pirates will keep him down to start the season and roll with a rotating cast of Hinske, Morgan, Monroe, and Moss. Moss will prob. be the starting RF, with Hinske taking some starts there on occasion, and Nyjer Morgan might take the most starts in left with Hinske and Monroe taking some starts there. Aside from McClouth, the Pirates' OF is a mess and if McCutch has a good start to the season in the minors, it would not be a shock to see him up fairly quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Via RotoWire:

McCutchen went 2-for-5 on Friday for Triple-A Indianapolis, scoring two runs while stealing a bag.

Spin: McCutchen is hitting .328/.377/.609 and seems destined for the Pirates roster shortly.

I have the same question as the above poster. When does this kid get the call?

I don't see what the hype is about this kid. He's basically a younger version of Fred Lewis. Some speed with very little power.

You can't just look at stats and call him Fred Lewis. If you compare both of their 1st full years in AAA they have very similar numbers you're right. But the huge difference being that Cutch was 21 years old where Lewis was 26. Lewis also had 3 full seasons of Minor league ball under his belt going into that 1st AAA season as where Cutch only has had 2. You see where I'm going here?

Archived