NBC Sports Edge Forums

Andrew McCutchen

BirdDog20

A guy that could possibly steal 30+ bags with some pop while not really hurting you anywhere is pretty valuable. He definitely needs to become more efficient on the bases, but he's definitely worth keeping an eye on. I'd expect he'll be up this season at some point.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also right now Cutch projects to be similar to Carl Crawford but with better plate discipline and maybe a few less steals. If his power develops he projects to be the Crawford everyone wanted. The one who can hit 20 HR's annually. Furthermore the one league that Cutch played in that he wasn't incredibly young for he hit 14 HR's in 114 games.

This is all coming from a guy who just traded him. So I'm not trying to tout a player on my squad but I'm just saying he's got much much more potential than Lewis.

The thing I love about this guy are the BBs and lack of SO's. Now I'm not saying he's going to walk 100+ times a year, or strike out < 50 times a year. However, he could definitely walk near 80 times a year while striking out less times then that annually. That might be a few years down the road, but it will help his immediate fantasy value. If he can just walk and get on base, that will open up many other possibilities as far as stealing 2nd, and then scoring. Very underrated all around aspect towards his game that isn't often spoken about.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09117/965922-63.stm

PirateApologist: Hello, Dejan. Is Andrew McCutchen first in line if Nate McClouth (or any outfielder) goes on the DL? Or will they bring in a stopgap like Salazar?

Dejan Kovacevic: The Pirates have no intention of calling up McCutchen until they feel he is ready, and that is not now. Adding Salazar would involve a 40-man move, so Steve Pearce is more likely. Plus, Pearce is hitting really well lately after a poor start.

They feel he's not "ready" yet?

Maybe one day they will just give up on Pearce already, sheeeeeeesh. I'm not really in any hurry to call Cutch up to the team I have him in though, so not a big deal for me B)

I'm not either...I wouldn't mind it, but I also have Pearce in the league with McCutchen, and I still think Pearce could be a productive OF.

• 4 weeks later...
throwing together a nice little week in the minors currently...any more speculation on a june 1st call up or later?

I can't understand why they didn't even give him a look last year. He's young and clearly there's no big rush, but the Pirates aren't playing for much other than to be spoilers for other teams and figure out what might work in the future.

I read that he tends to struggle against RHP and they want him to improve .... but last night was against a RHP.

how can there be no real info on this guys call up? is he not a uber prospect? because if a previous poster is right and this guy is the carl crawford we all wanted then i would think that makes him a future star future first rounder uber prospect and worth mentioning anytime anyone asks who is a future stud....and when will they be here?

I hear you .... I read in the PIT newspaper that (a) there is nobody blocking him in the majors (obviously), and (B) when he is ready they will call him up. Hopefully that's code for after super 2.

2-5 last night and yahoo's newest note says that they do not know when to expect a call up as he is not needed in the pitt outfield at this time....with morgan continuing to hit mcclouth doing his thing and moss hitting like .400 over his two weeks or so....i guess maybe he just deserves a call up for pirate fans then...i mean really we all know morgan and moss are not the long term answer so why not call up your best of prospect and let him do his thing for the people....surely they are considering this in pittsburgh?

2-5 again today with another bomb....got to be thinking call up right? tomorrow is june 1st....

I really feel for Pirates fans. Having to watch Craig Monroe and Moss, and even Morgan, getting ABs over McCutchen is depressing at best.

I really feel for Pirates fans. Having to watch Craig Monroe and Moss, and even Morgan, getting ABs over McCutchen is depressing at best.

Brandon Moss is hitting .305 in May. Nyjer Morgan is hitting .280 with 11 SBs on the season. You don't exactly bring up a guy to play over those types of numbers. It would help his case if Moss hasn't heated up lately because yes Monroe has been very disappointing but at the same time he gets more money than both Moss and Morgan so it's really hard to bench him. They are giong to try to let him work out his issues.

Besides McCutchen is only OPSing .864 in AAA. Which yes that is good but it is not killing the ball by any means. Remember this is including his current hot streak as well.

He is going to have continue improving on these numbers for at least another week or two before he gets a shot and even then he won't be gaurenteed full time ABs. He's better off to stay in AAA than play around 3 of every 5 games in the majors.

June 16th the Pirates are @MIN. Maybe then they will call him up as they will have an extra hitter in the DH and could play all 4 of these guys. Give him a 3 game series if Monroe is still struggling and McCutchen does well maybe he'll earn majority ABs over the other 3 guys in some sort of a OF platoon system.

Archived