NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Paul DeJong 2019 Outlook

murraygd13

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That was DeJong's sophomore slump typical of very young players as they and the pitchers play their adjustments game.  But if you want to go by that alone then what did Correra do last year?

Correa has 3 years of good stats followed by 1 bad year and has had injury problems...hardly the same comparison

4 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Correa has 3 years of good stats followed by 1 bad year and has had injury problems...hardly the same comparison

DeJong had injury problems last year after a rookie season with good stats. I'm not saying DeJong is the same talent that Correa is, but 2018 was not a full season for him. He missed 47 games with an injury and played with an injured hand for a time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

32/96/94 .268/.817ops 162 game pace for his career

still a little too early to sell high. 

Sell high for whom?  Why does one want to sell off their good players?  This guy had a really good season followed by the typical sophomore slump one.  He is ready to rock this season.  And at only 25 he is still getting better.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sell high for whom?  Why does one want to sell off their good players?  This guy had a really good season followed by the typical sophomore slump one.  He is ready to rock this season.  And at only 25 he is still getting better.

you always sell high its just smart fantasy baseball.  give him another week or 2 of production and sell as a 3rd rder if possible. 

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

you always sell high its just smart fantasy baseball.  give him another week or 2 of production and sell as a 3rd rder if possible. 

No you don't.  There is nothing smart about it.  Some people believe in this "sell high" idea because they think the player is merely on a hot streak or is declining in their skill levels because of age or something.  DeJong obviously won't collapse and at age 25 he isn't ready for a rocking chair yet.  So nothing smart about getting rid of him. 

And most people I know in fantasy baseball don't believe in the whole idea of "sell high" anyway and think it is just a buzz word many casual owners think makes them look clever while not understanding it's real meaning by the few who can actually use the concept sensibly.  And it it certainly isn't doing it every time a player of yours is doing well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No you don't.  There is nothing smart about it.  Some people believe in this "sell high" idea because they think the player is merely on a hot streak or is declining in their skill levels because of age or something.  DeJong obviously won't collapse and at age 25 he isn't ready for a rocking chair yet.  So nothing smart about getting rid of him. 

And most people I know in fantasy baseball don't believe in the whole idea of "sell high" anyway and think it is just a buzz word many casual owners think makes them look clever while not understanding it's real meaning by the few who can actually use the concept sensibly.  And it it certainly isn't doing it every time a player of yours is doing well.

It depends on the player, but I still agree with you about the whole sell high thing in general. It's ridiculous when it pops up for almost every player that is doing better than expected.   I have no problem with somebody asking around a bit to see what people would be willing to offer for a player that is performing better than expected, but it's not like you have to make it a priority to trade that player immediately.

Do I expect Paul DeJong to continue to do this all season?  Maybe not, especially the batting average, but his overall numbers should still be pretty good given that he's hitting in between Goldy and a now fully healthy Ozuna.  I also don't expect him to be in the Top 20 all season like he is now on Yahoo, but still, I'd consider him much more of a draft day bargain than a must sell high candidate.

At the other end, he's not exactly somebody I'm rushing out to buy as 1) He has to do this longer for me to fully believe 2) His ranking right now is a bit inflated one way or the other.  In the end, it doesn't really matter.  If I had him, I'd more than likely just enjoy it and only trade him if I got offered somebody better than I expected to be offered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

its about eliminating the unknow of players you drafted cheap that are over performing/breaking out and cashing in on a proven player. more times than not it works out and the  more you do it the better the odds are in your favor. no one is going to give you a fair offer for a player on a hot streak that is old or declining. that's when you hold and ride it out like the proven old yet having a bounce back season. they will however trade for a young player that they think is on a breakout.

you seriously would rather roll with dejong ROS than a proven top 35ish player? if so then you are missing out and don't understand what sell high means. not the other way around 

Edited by colepenhagen

10 minutes ago, treat88 said:

No one that is involved in this hobby is giving up a top 35 hitter for Dejong at this point.

If you play with guppies, go for it. 

that's why I said wait another week or 2 and hope he keeps it up. (there is also this crazy idea called a  2 for 1 trade )

and a top 35 hitter isn't out the question. now top 35 overall player is out of the question right now

Edited by colepenhagen

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-brandon-lowe-and-paul-dejong/

write up and I'm not going to quote it all, but in the end it says this..

With roughly 80% ownership levels in both ESPN and Yahoo leagues, it’s unlikely DeJong is available on your free agent wire. However, existing owners should feel confident in holding him, while those in need of power from the middle-infield spot should consider trading for him if the value is right. A 30 home run, 90 RBI batting line paired with a .275 / .340 / .510 triple slash by season’s end is within reach.

this isn't surprising. he had 25 HR in his rookie season in 108 games.

• Like 1