NBC Sports Edge Forums

25 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

No way am I taking JuJu. He needs to break some huge play or you are getting like 3 points from him. Gordon can still give you double digit points and if he breaks a big one which he is very capable of you are looking at 20+. 

Agree with this.  Especially this week.   No real track record of JuJu with this 3rd string guy.   And Gordon in a plus matchup.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm firing him up everywhere.

😂🤣😂🤣😂     

Mods coming into this thread:  

Posted Images

I have a tough decision for whether to start Gordon tonight or not, so am researching a bunch of stats to try and make a decision. Here's some of what I've noted...

1. Gordon has played 7 home games for the Patriots and 9 road games. Here are the splits:

Home: 26 catches - 468 yards - 4 TD (3.71 catches & 66.86 yards per home game)
Road: 33 catches - 532 yards - 0 TD (3.67 catches & 59.11 yards per road game)
(That doesn't factor in that his first two home games for NE last year, were after the early-season trade where his snap count was 22% and 26%)

Moral? Gordon can't score TD's on the road. But 4 TD's in 7 games at home leaves some hope that he can get a TD tonight.
Secondary Moral? 4 TD's in 16 games is not good at all. So that is scary.
(I don't seriously think he can't ever score on the road. Though that is kind of concerning for his next road game...)

2. Gordon has a cake matchup against the Giants. As PFF puts it: 
"Gordon is questionable this week, but he needs to be started if active. He’s underwhelmed for fantasy but has seen good volume, averaging 8.7 targets per game over the past three weeks. That number should climb this week, with Phillip Dorsett out and Gordon in an ideal matchup. Gordon will likely draw shadow coverage from Janoris Jenkins, who has given up the eighth-most fantasy points and ranks 82nd among 105 cornerbacks in PFF grade."

"Our 
PFF Shadow Matrix projects a shadow matchup between Josh Gordon and Janoris Jenkins, which should tilt heavily in Gordon’s favor. You may recall what Mike Evans did to Jenkins back in Week 3, and Gordon is a similarly big-bodied receiver with even more athleticism. Jenkins is allowing the third-most fantasy points per route among all cornerbacks, a truly outlandish number for a shadow corner. We nailed the Julian Edelman explosion in last week’s column, and it would not surprise for Tom Brady to try and get his embattled superstar receiver going in another matchup where the Patriots can truly do whatever they please."

My verdict?
Is it possible that the weather and high probability of NE blowing out the Giants, cuts into Gordon having a good day? Sure. But if we can't start him at home against the Giants, then why even bother rostering him? If the weather is not looking too crazy as game time approaches, this might be the time to roll with Flash.

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

No way am I taking JuJu. He needs to break some huge play or you are getting like 3 points from him. Gordon can still give you double digit points and if he breaks a big one which he is very capable of you are looking at 20+. 

Gordon has 1 game of 20 plus and 5 games under 10 out of 16 he has played for NE

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Gordon has 1 game of 20 plus and 5 games under 10 out of 16 he has played for NE

To be fair WR don’t just get instantly acclimated to an offense after getting traded midseason. Last years production was better than a lot of people expected. 

2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

I see a lot of people sitting him. For who?

Im starting Gallup and Boyd over him got Carson in my flex. 12 team 

move started Gordon way to many times this yr and have lost 2 games because of it. He’s a bench player as of now. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, sSektor said:

To be fair WR don’t just get instantly acclimated to an offense after getting traded midseason. Last years production was better than a lot of people expected. 

What about this year?? I mean he hasn't been horrible but still has 2 of 5 games under 10 points.  He actually produced better last year

6 minutes ago, youngrice said:

What about this year?? I mean he hasn't been horrible but still has 2 of 5 games under 10 points.  He actually produced better last year

Pats have been winning games in the 1st quarter with their offense sleeping. It’s been a glowing example of gameflow hurting a deep threat WR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, youngrice said:

We will see but a guy like him with no TDs has to be a bit flukey. It'll be interesting to see his usage in the RZ. Will be the first time I catch an entire Patriots game this year so will be better to draw a conclusion on if it has been flukey or his usage just sucks. 

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

Pats have been winning games in the 1st quarter with their offense sleeping. It’s been a glowing example of gameflow hurting a deep threat WR. 

This is the second issue. Their schedule later in the season is against legitimate offenses so he should do better then also. When your opponent is dead in the first it's better to run and dink and dunk. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sSektor said:

He is averaging more targets a game this year at 7.  Also Brady is averaging more yds a game and is on pace for more TD's.   So it's not like they are shutting it down in the second quarter because they have a huge lead.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This is the second issue. Their schedule later in the season is against legitimate offenses so he should do better then also. When your opponent is dead in the first it's better to run and dink and dunk. 

I honestly really like Gordon and had him on my team for years(even when he was not playing).  On another team where he gets peppered with targets I think he could be a high end WR2 with WR1 blow up.  But haven't we finally seen enough to realize that just simply is not gonna happen on the Pats and he is a WR3 with WR2 upside.

Just now, youngrice said:

But haven't we finally seen enough to realize that just simply is not gonna happen on the Pats and he is a WR3 with WR2 upside.

We can’t say we’ve seen enough until we see how the Pats use him against a team that can actually pretend to put up a fight. 

• Like 3

No matter if it’s raining or windy I am sitting Josh Gordon. 

2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

I see a lot of people sitting him. For who?

For who? Godwin, Woods &  McLaurin. Starting Freeman in flex. 

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Well looking at stats alone, I just don’t understand the logic. JuJu is the play over Josh 

1/2 ppr JuJu & Josh have played 5 games. Total points scored, catches & yards favor JuJu 

18 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

No matter if it’s raining or windy I am sitting Josh Gordon. 

For who? Godwin, Woods &  McLaurin. Starting Freeman in flex. 

Well looking at stats alone, I just don’t understand the logic. JuJu is the play over Josh 

1/2 ppr JuJu & Josh have played 5 games. Total points scored, catches & yards favor JuJu 

That's over simplifying things imo.   We're not even sure who the Steelers QB is going to be. 

And then you have to look at the matchups.  JuJu might have Hayward on hm the whole game while Gordon should have a nice matchup.

I'm not saying I'd 100% start Gordon over JuJu.  But to say it's not logical is just wrong.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, K197040 said:

That's over simplifying things imo.   We're not even sure who the Steelers QB is going to be. 

And then you have to look at the matchups.  JuJu might have Hayward on hm the whole game while Gordon should have a nice matchup.

I'm not saying I'd 100% start Gordon over JuJu.  But to say it's not logical is just wrong.

Yep, that is what I would do. The right move? That is why I enjoy reading these threads to see what others think. 
Just looking at the raw numbers and as you mention maybe I am only over simplifying this whole situation, but since the Patriots are playing tonight, JG is on the bench. I rather roll out the guys I have and JuJu. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mrmann1 said:

Or, ya know.. You could just go check the weather in Foxboro. 

Oh no, I am with IronCock...need a member to eyeball this and certainly lick his finger and stick it up in the air to determine wind...

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

We need someone at the game. They probably don’t take these weather measurements in the stadium. Anyone going?

I'm not at the game, but I'm a Jets fan and I can confirm from experience that the wind will be at Brady's back all 4 quarters of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
16 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Oh no, I am with IronCock...need a member to eyeball this and certainly lick his finger and stick it up in the air to determine wind...

If you didn’t see pdog’s mug smashing video in the TNF thread you probably don’t get it. 

• Haha 1