NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Bell 2019 Outlook

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every time Josh Bell homers I go back to this post and laugh my a** off. 

Grabbed JB in my 12-teamer.  He's currently ranked #16 in AVERAGE EXIT VELOCITY @ 94.4 ... #35 in HARD HIT RATE @ 52.4%. I also like his BARREL % of 14.3%. All those numbers are UP from both 2017 and

That'll do for the start of a new month.  4-6, 4 Runs, 3 HRs, 7 RBI's tonight...  

2 hours ago, trojans888 said:

Is kind of crazy #1 hitter goes a full month between posts.  Not even a middle rounder either.  Nuts.

He did have a pretty bad slump over this period of time before today's monster performance. He just had such a hot start that his overall season numbers were still monstrous.

2 hours ago, Bandito said:

spacer.png

I love having a day when only three of my batters play and I still get 3 HR and 7 RBI. :wub:

I had 3 batters, also, but I ended up with 9 RBI in 10 ABs.

6 hours ago, trojans888 said:

Is kind of crazy #1 hitter goes a full month between posts.  Not even a middle rounder either.  Nuts.

Granted June was a pretty down month for him, but even I was surprised to see that the post before mine was a full month old after I made my post.

Hopefully this is the start of adding more and more pages to his thread now. 😀

4 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

Drafted him real late in the draft hoping and somewhat expecting he'd be closer to 2017 than 2018, but man, I don't think anyone was expecting this.

This is the breakout my dynasty team has been hoping for since drafting him as a minor leaguer. He was always touted as having ridiculous raw power that he wasn't tapping in games. He gave us a hint in 2017, then had a "sophomore slump" equivalent (I know he wasn't a "sophomore." Thus the word "equivalent.") in 2018, and is now charging back. As a Bellinger and Bell owner it has been interesting to watch their careers sort of parallel over the past 2 1/2 seasons in an upside-down bell (yes, pun intended) curve, albeit Bellinger has definitely held the limelight. But Bell has definitely ramped it up huge, this year. Comeback player of the year?

Edited by Halo Fan
7 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

Drafted him real late in the draft hoping and somewhat expecting he'd be closer to 2017 than 2018, but man, I don't think anyone was expecting this.

I doubt anybody from the Pirates organization did either, and I have my doubts even Bell expected his season to go this good.

I guess not everybody in the league needs to have a pretty swing to be great.  Obviously everything about his mechanics at the plate is significantly better this season than ever, but you wouldn't think he'd be one of the best hitters in all of baseball.  That he is, and he has all the fancy statcast stats to back it up.

Obviously they aren't exactly the same, but now that Goldschmidt has fallen off his perch as one of the top 2 or 3 1B, Josh Bell has appeared to take over.

12 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

I think his success teaches us to always be patient with players who have been elite prospects in the minors, even if it takes few years of mlb.

Couldn't agree more. I think we underestimate the jump in level of competition to the major league level. A lot of these elite prospects are at least 2 to 3 years older than the same level of comp before they hit the bigs. You have guys just a couple years removed from HS age now playing against the best of the best who have done it for years. It's not surprising at all it takes some of them a couple seasons, or more, to keep up. 

I do not know if it possible for one hitter to carry a team to a rotisserie league title but Josh Bell is trying.

2 hours ago, B&F said:

I do not know if it possible for one hitter to carry a team to a rotisserie league title but Josh Bell is trying.

It's a good thing he has big shoulders.  He's carrying the Pirates on one and then fantasy teams on the other.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, miamifin33 said:

How are his batted ball metrics looking during this extended slump that he's been in? Has he just been getting unlucky or is it a sign of something worse?

Still a ton of hard contact, but the LD% is down and the soft% is up. As is usually the case he's not the guy he showed in April, but he's better than he has shown in June/July.

31 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Still a ton of hard contact, but the LD% is down and the soft% is up. As is usually the case he's not the guy he showed in April, but he's better than he has shown in June/July.

Way to completely ignore his amazing May... 😉

4 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Sucks he turned back into josh bell

Not impossible but I feel he has another one month tear in him.