Scooter Gennett 2019 Outlook

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hopefully he said “i pooped”

Over the final 2 1/2 weeks of last season, Scooter slashed 184/245/306. That’s pretty bad. If we’re throwing out streaks, should we throw that one out too? Or is it not long enough? Not cold enough? O

Woah am I just stupid? What is going on with Scooter??    2017: all star level 2b/3b .295, 27 homers, 97 RBI, 80 runs 2018: all star level 2b .310 23 homers, 92 RBI, 86 runs 2019:

7 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Wow would they hold Senzel now? Senzel doesn’t play second base??

When Senzel went to AAA last year he was started primarily at 2B. Zero errors in 137 chances, he could easily handle it. Seems the obvious move.

Edited by BleedRedsRed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That looks like groin with the way he awkwardly was squatting to block the ball. his back leg stayed back and he really put a lot of stress on the groin area to make that play. 

Just now, Caelum said:

Cincinnati Enquirer article says Gennett appeared to mouth the words “it popped” to the trainer. Hope the beat writer is bad at lip reading.

Watching him walk off, it's a pretty safe bet something popped. How long it costs him it's a totally separate question. Could be a few weeks could be worse. 

4 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

12 weeks for a strain?  Back in June or July. 

Yeah teams are always giving overly optimistic projections on return dates and they are almost always wrong.

The Reds announced that starting second baseman Scooter Gennett will miss the next 8-12 weeks due to a severe right groin strain.

It's a major blow for a team hoping to contend this season for the first time in years. The Reds will move Jose Peraza to second base and insert Jose Iglesias into the starting lineup at shortstop. This could affect the Reds' plans to have top prospect Nick Senzel play centerfield instead of his natural second base. The Reds have a logjam in the outfield and it may make more sense to put Senzel at second base, Peraza back at short and have Scott Schebler start in centerfield.

Source: C. Trent Rosecrans on Twitter       Mar 23, 2019, 1:20 PM

So now the question is, what’s his (adjusted) outlook for 2019? 

Assuming all goes well with healing and rehab, do we get 3-4 months of healthy/normal Gennett or is there lag time/skill deterioration/rust to knock off?

Initially, I assume he projects (like all top 150 players) as a guy worth slotting into an IL slot (if your league has them). But if we think the time table is realistically more like 12-16 weeks, followed by rehab, lessened production, etc., then it may be nearly a lost season for him. 

On 3/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Hockey_Baseball said:

That's a shame. I find myself cheering for the guy because he still doesn't get respected for what he's done with the bat the last couple of years.

Felt exact same way, I own NO shares of this guy for variety of reasons but really thought he was undervalued and I dont like seeing guys who get undervallued end up getting hurt (dont like to see anyone) but certainly guys who you want to see put up another monster season.  

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

so at this juncture, where do we think it is plausible to draft Gennett as far as pick #? 

maybe 209-220 .  That's where I've seen him going since injury news. in 1 12 teamer he went undrafted and was claimed off waivers the next day.

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Forgot how important bench space is even with 7 spots!

So how long to hold Scooter? AS a Red fan, no way in hell are they bringing him back before the ASB

If you have an IL spot,  hold until he comes back. No reason having those spots on your roster if you're not going to use them