NBC Sports Edge Forums

J.D. Martinez 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Call it a hunch, call it positive regression to the mean, but JD is gonna go OFF on this next home stand. Gonna remind people why they call him Just Dingers 

He has to at some point.  Looking at his season on the surface, it doesn't look that bad, but when he's supposed to be one of the best all-around power hitting OFs in all of baseball, his actually line for the season is mediocre at best.  I know that sounds a bit silly when he's batting .308, but there are dozens of players nowhere near as good as him that have way more HRs and RBIs than he does right now.

Am I actually concerned? Not at all.  Just frustrated, but obviously I'm not considering moving him even for a second.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I highly doubt it. As good as he's been, he's been underperforming. Plus at this point in his career he's a DH, so would be a huge gamble for him to do so. It was hard enough for him to get his 1st co

Since this post.... Batting .408, 9 HR, 26 RBI, 21 R in 20 games   Can you do Paul Goldschmidt next?

Yeah he could gamble but it could backfire big time for him. His age plus his poor ability to play in the field -- he has been pretty bad this season in the OF to say the least -- kind of limits his m

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, jbarretta said:

Just got pinch hit for in a big run inning   why?

Game was 14-1.  Get the bench guys in to have some fun.

People seem to forget that JD didn't hit many homers last year at the beginning.  He likes to hit opposite field homers and they don't go out of a 380 foot deep RF in the spring in Boston with the ocean wind knocking balls down left and right out there.

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Game was 14-1.  Get the bench guys in to have some fun.

People seem to forget that JD didn't hit many homers last year at the beginning.  He likes to hit opposite field homers and they don't go out of a 380 foot deep RF in the spring in Boston with the ocean wind knocking balls down left and right out there.

It was 8-1 at the time actually.  Pearce replaced him in the 7th.  Still, it was out of hand.

He had 9 at this time last season.  He did start out slow with the HRs, but had gotten on his HR tear by now (he had 18 by the end of the May).  Still, I'm not actually concerned.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:20 PM, KilloWertz said:

It was 8-1 at the time actually.  Pearce replaced him in the 7th.  Still, it was out of hand.

He had 9 at this time last season.  He did start out slow with the HRs, but had gotten on his HR tear by now (he had 18 by the end of the May).  Still, I'm not actually concerned.

Trout got pinch hit for the other night in a big lead. It's common even with stars 

45 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Two homers today and the weather wasn't even sunny or warm.  He is getting it going before the warm weather this year.

The weather is taking even longer this year to get to where it should be.  He was going nuts before now last season, but hey, it's nice to see him finally getting going in the HR department.  The average has been there all season, but nothing else.  He's obviously getting there now.

Read somewhere he was the unluckiest player in baseball coming into last weekend with at least 100 PA....which was scary considering he was still having a decent year....I think we are seeing why he was considered unlucky with what he had done so far

• Like 1
2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Read somewhere he was the unluckiest player in baseball coming into last weekend with at least 100 PA....which was scary considering he was still having a decent year....I think we are seeing why he was considered unlucky with what he had done so far

I could buy him being the unluckiest in the power department.  He's been hitting over .300 literally all season so far, so I don't think it's anywhere but the power department.  Obviously just a guess without actually looking at his statcast stats.

Regardless, it seems the beast has been awakened.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I could buy him being the unluckiest in the power department.  He's been hitting over .300 literally all season so far, so I don't think it's anywhere but the power department.  Obviously just a guess without actually looking at his statcast stats.

Regardless, it seems the beast has been awakened.

His xWOBA was much higher than his actual WOBA when I checked last week. He was top 5 in terms of “unluckiest”. It’s correcting itself now

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Yippee, left the game yesterday because of back spasms yet again...

I tried unloading him yesterday, no bites. I don’t know if I wanna deal with his injuries all season long.

1 hour ago, MaeDay said:

I tried unloading him yesterday, no bites. I don’t know if I wanna deal with his injuries all season long.

I have a hard believing you can't unload him. I think about 90% of fantasy baseball players would be more than interested in Julio Daniel. 

6 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

I have a hard believing you can't unload him. I think about 90% of fantasy baseball players would be more than interested in Julio Daniel. 

Problem with my league is it’s a 10 teamer and maybe half of them are willing to trade. I sent offers for like Acuna, Harper, etc but no bites. I think the DTD beside the name scares people off.

25 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is back spasms.  No an "injury" injury.

I often wonder about the classification of "back spasms".

As someone who has had them sporadically throughout adulthood, I find them to be rather debilitating.  As in it feels like your back is incapable of carrying its own weight and that's not to mention the weight of the rest of your upper half.  There's no sitting, or standing, or laying down position that offers relief. 

I have to imagine professional athletes are administered localized cortisone just to allow them to move around.  I guess the point I'm making is that a DTD designation for the back spasms I'm familiar with could very well mean out of action for a week.  Coming back and resuming the violent swinging motion it takes to hit a baseball would be the last thing I would think about doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1