NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marco Luciano- SF Giants- SS

9 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Am I crazy to think that Wander/Julio/Luciano are the best 3 prospects right now?  And maybe even luciano over Julio, considering he has double the walk rate at AGE ******** 18.  His number are Sotoesque

His stats arent too meaningful yet. I much rather have Julio. Most of Luciano's stats are below A ball. If he mashed, he could easily be a consensus top 5  prospect  end of season though.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jeez. This kid invokes the oppo of your user name! #6-ta-midnight

17 year old in A ball    

Everyone's excited about Victor Victor Mesa as the top international guy, but I have my eye on the upside further down the line. Top J2 signing guy   Last 3 top J2 signing guys Vlad-Mai

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

more . . . 

I think he’s (Luciano) a 3B long term but I think his bat is extremely special. it’s only been a year since a meh defensive 3B was #1 so it’s not unthinkable. Also think Wander has more holes in his game than people think. I think the power and speed are both far off what people think . . . 

i’m aware that he’s special (Franco) but i think he does have some holes that people understate. he has the bat speed for power potential but his current approach is too geared towards GBs. also think his speed isn’t what people think it is. still have him #1 but i’m not as certain

If we're talking about Wander Franco having less speed than people think, I'm not sure I get that in a Luciano comparison. Luciano looks pretty well built with some room to grow. Not sure he's going to be a 20 SB guy in the majors after the first year or two, if that. I could be wrong, but guy looks like he's going to a tank.  Fangraphs has 50 current 45 FV on Luciano and 60/60 on Wander. Even if Wander isn't a steals guy, I'm not really buying Luciano has stealing more.  Wander feels like better hit tool and Luciano feels like better power and I think Wander has a better shot to develop more power than Luciano being having a near elite hit tool. This could look pretty dumb in a few years, we're talking about teenagers. 

I don't think he was comparing the speed/sb potential so much as simply saying that while it helps make Franco so exciting that it (and his power and approach) might be a little overrated. I think people sometimes get carried away with top prospects.. It will be interesting to see how they do this year.

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If we're talking about Wander Franco having less speed than people think, I'm not sure I get that in a Luciano comparison. Luciano looks pretty well built with some room to grow. Not sure he's going to be a 20 SB guy in the majors after the first year or two, if that. I could be wrong, but guy looks like he's going to a tank.  Fangraphs has 50 current 45 FV on Luciano and 60/60 on Wander. Even if Wander isn't a steals guy, I'm not really buying Luciano has stealing more

Who's saying that Luciano steals more than Franco? I think the point of those tweets above your post is that the author feels like Wande's chances of developing into an elite player are lower than most people think, and that Luciano's ceiling as a hitter is much higher than Wander's. So much so in fact, that he thinks maybe Luciano is the better prospect overall. I didn't read the tweets and get the feeling he was talking about Luciano's stolen base prowess at all.

To be clear those aren't necessarily my opinions, just what I took away from the "Will" tweets.

Edited by cs3

This could age horribly, but I just think Luciano has that *it* factor. Yeah, he hasn’t gone above rookie ball.  But the K/BB and ISO with his age, combined with the physical tools, is just... extraordinary.  Also, just take a look at him swinging. I know this board isn’t that big on the “eye test,” but just do it.  Don’t @me when he’s the #2 prospect this time next year 

Edited by Fbaseballgod

I dont think projecting Luciano as being a top 10 or even top prospect after Wander Franco is that bold.  He just needs to do exactly what he did last year at a higher level. He's trending to a super elite prospect, it would be silly to deny that. He's already pretty elite for dynasty.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

From John Shea of the San Franicisco Chronicle: Giants Scott Harris had this to say in regards to prospects within the organization. 

“I think if the opportunity presents itself, we may start them with conservative placements but be totally open-minded to promoting them quickly because I don’t think we can underestimate the impact of going an entire year without playing in real competitive games against players from other organizations.”

14 hours ago, thejamman said:

From John Shea of the San Franicisco Chronicle: Giants Scott Harris had this to say in regards to prospects within the organization. 

“I think if the opportunity presents itself, we may start them with conservative placements but be totally open-minded to promoting them quickly because I don’t think we can underestimate the impact of going an entire year without playing in real competitive games against players from other organizations.”

he should probably see at least AA this year, maybe AAA, but I'd be a little surprised if he made it to the majors

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 9:10 PM, thejamman said:

I’ve read several articles from different outlets stating that they feel Luciano is on the fast-track to the MLB, and based on the language used by Giants hitting coaches (Justin Viele and Donnie Ecker), farm director Kyle Haines, and manager Gabe Kapler I tend to agree.

All reports seem to indicate that Luciano is an extremely hard worker who is motivated to improve. I love the story that Ecker shared about him struggling with rising four-seem fastballs and working on improving his approach with them, then the next day coming into camp and absolutely demolishing one off of Rico Garcia in Oracle Park.

Viele has gone so far as to refer to him as a ‘ferrari’ in terms of drive, internal motivation, and overall skills.

All of that being said, I agree with @brockpapersizerthat it would be a little surprising if he were to make the majors in 2021, but anything can happen. Crawford, Belt, and Solano are all free agents at the end of this year, and if there is an MiLB season and Luciano is dominating, I could see them potentially giving him a cup of coffee. I think 2022 is more likely the year we see him up though.

Edited by alowe1275

Possibly, it just depends how well he can handle a different position.

From what I’ve read the giants think he can stick at SS and that’s where they’ve been playing him. But I’ve also heard people speculate about 3b and LF.

The opening will be there at SS after this season unless the Giants sign someone (and the 2022 SS free agent market looks to be pretty stacked with Seager, Lindor, Correa, etc). Considering the Giants are going to have a lot of money to spend with all the contracts coming off the books that’s a real possibility.