NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tevin Coleman 2019 Outlook

For those who think that Tevin Coleman won’t assume the passing role.

This is a review of how Shanahan used Coleman in the passing game 

Shanny literally drafted up plays for Coleman.

compare the game logs in 2018 for the 49ers versus 2016 Falcons

2018 49ers    Carries     Carries Yds    Carries TD    Rec     Rec Yds     Rec Tds
Breida    153    814    3    27    267    2
Morris     111    428    2    8    27    0
Mosert    34    261    1    6    25    0
Total    298    1503    6    41    319    2

Freeman     227    1079    11    54    462    2
Coleman    118    520    8    31    421    3
Total    345    1599    19    85    883    5

Mind you Coleman missed 3 games that year.

Breida won’t have plays designed for him like Coleman. Coleman will have a role even IF Mckinnon is healthy.

Coleman is likely to see a total of 200 touches at least this season (if Mckinnon is healthy) but will likely see more if he isn’t.  Breida didn’t even touch that when he dominated touches last year. I don’t get the hype around Breida. He’s a solid Zero RB guy and RB3/Flex this year with maybe a low end RB2 upside a couple games 

• Like 3
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Make yourself useful and predict 30 points next time

Here's my math on Coleman: Shanahan RB touches the last 5 years 2018 - 364 rushes / 66 targets / 53 rec 2017 - 345 rushes / 124 targets / 80 recs 2016 - 345 rushes / 105 targets / 85 rec

Hot off the presses! This is huge for my retroactive points league, thanks Marty.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:17 AM, whoopsie said:

There always seems to be hype about Coleman but what has he actually done in the league?

Only averaged 981 yards per season the last three with two of them being in a full blown timeshare with one of the better (when healthy) RBs in the NFL.

Goes to what projects to be a  dynamic offense which has a bunch of career backups and a guy coming off a torn ACL who’s not even healthy yet as his competition.

The 49ers had big holes this offseason so them spending $10M on 26-year old Tevin Coleman who has only 600 career touches should tell you everything you need to know. He’s going to get absolutely fed. Inside, outside, passing game, goal line. Everything. Draft with high confidence in the 4th imo.

Edited by Ruut6
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Ruut6 said:

Only averaged 981 yards per season the last three with two of them being in a full blown timeshare with one of the better (when healthy) RBs in the NFL.

Goes to what projects to be a  dynamic offense which has a bunch of career backups and a guy coming off a torn ACL who’s not even healthy yet as his competition.

The 49ers had big holes this offseason so them spending $10M on 26-year old Tevin Coleman who has only 600 career touches should tell you everything you need to know. He’s going to get absolutely fed. Inside, outside, passing game, goal line. Everything. Draft with high confidence in the 4th imo.

4th round? Honestly I'd rather have Breida, who did get over 1000 yards last year, in rounds 8-10.

Might want to sell your Coleman share why they have value before the preseason blurbs come out...Breida is far and away the back to own here

• Like 3
20 hours ago, whoopsie said:

4th round? Honestly I'd rather have Breida, who did get over 1000 yards last year, in rounds 8-10.

Yeah that’s a good call. Breida has looked pretty good every time he’s hit the field. Definitely seems like they can support two startable RBs this year.

28 minutes ago, Mattmac92 said:

I'm so in on this guy and I got him tonight as my flex please deliver kid 

Sorry to hear that...hope you got him in round 10 or higher. 

• Like 1

As long as Coleman is healthy I'd imagine he will get his fair share of touches. That's really more of my concern, it's not as if Coleman has a good history staying on the field either. It's probably likely one of Coleman/Brieda/McKinnon will be injured at any given point in the season.

26 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Mckinnon with a set-back, probably going to be on IR to start the season. This is a big boon for Coleman. I think at this point the carries will be 65/35, in favor of coleman, should be a decent rb2. 

I’d say conservatively they split 50/50 to start the season in terms of carries, but the real difference maker is in the passing game and goal line. Coleman will be used similarly to how Shanahan used him in 2016, with more carries. Get him out in space for chunk yardage, match him up with a slower LB and let him run. But also just have a stranglehold on the goal line work.

Prediction is 195/800/9 on the ground with another 40/480/3 in the air.

Vs. 170/730/3 and 30/270/1 for Breida.

Breida is going to make the most impact, I would say it goes the other way in favor if him.   Brieda is in for a 1000 yard all purpose season. 6-8 TDs.   Coleman is the change of pace and perhaps goal line.

Breida is more talented and until he shatters into pieces, this will be his show.  IMO

Edited by Sivaro
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Sivaro said:

Breida is going to make the most impact, I would say it goes the other way in favor if him.   Brieda is in for a 1000 yard all purpose season. 6-8 TDs.   Coleman is the change of pace and perhaps goal line.

Breida is more talented and until he shatters into pieces, this will be his show.  IMO

Coleman started every game from what I've seen and is the should get the majority of snaps in the beginning of the season. Yeah, Brieda had a good 3rd preseason game, but Coleman was hand picked to come in and handle a large snap %. 

All the reports from training camp have been that Coleman has been running as the main RB.  While it's concerning that Breida looked so much better the last preseason game, I don't think one preseason game should overshadow all of the reports from training camp.  Plus with the recent news about McKinnon, you can pretty easily grab Coleman and Breida and therefore lock up one of the best RB situations in the entire NFL.

• Like 1