NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Allen 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

He's peaked my interest for sure.  I'll say this, I don't get all the hype for Lamar Jackson when this guy is sitting there going undrafted in most leagues.  To me Allen and Jackson feel like very similar players.  Both are running QBs who's passing ability are in question.  Of the 2 I'd say Allen is the superior passer and he showed elite running ability as a QB last year.  I tend to lean toward passing QBs in fantasy, but Allen is my go to flyer as a QB2 on my roster.   I much prefer Allen in the last round of a draft than Jackson who sometimes goes 5 rounds earlier. 

I've done 3 drafts this past week.  Jackson has been drafted in all 3, while Allen was only drafted in one. 

Jackson has designed runs. Allen runs for his life because he has to. They're going to expect Allen to pass more this season, which limits his rushing numbers significantly, IMO. I own him everywhere though; even as my QB1 in one league. Fire him up!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps the wind will make him accurate.

Decent weeks...he was the #1 scoring fantasy QB over that time, I’d say he was pretty decent...   Allen has the upside to be the #1 fantasy QB for 2019. Not saying it’s going to happen but i

Best QB of the 2018 NFL Draft, as I said it before that draft.    

53 minutes ago, Homerj24 said:

Jackson has designed runs. Allen runs for his life because he has to. They're going to expect Allen to pass more this season, which limits his rushing numbers significantly, IMO. I own him everywhere though; even as my QB1 in one league. Fire him up!

Well, yes and no, he's smart enough to take off and run when he's got wide open field for easy yards. He had the 2nd most 25+ yard runs (7) only to S Barkley because of it. You don't typically rip off 25+ yarders when pressured, that's seeing open field and eating it up.

With the strongest arm in the league and propensity to throw deep, open field will continue to be there for his legs.

Also, in the 2nd half of the year they started doing some unconventional things to protect him that you can only do with an arm like his. They would have him in shotgun, then take a 3 step drop from there, putting his back foot a full 11 yards behind the LOS, it almost looked like a punt formation by the time he finished his drop. 

Here's a look:

Pre Snap spacer.png

Drop - look how far from the blue LOS

spacer.png

Throw -- completed pass approx 15-20 yards after LOS, look how far that line slid but he was protected due to the drop.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 8/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, daethfromabove1979 said:

Those rushing numbers are going to plummet, they were all from scrambling and not by design.

5 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

Jackson has designed runs. Allen runs for his life because he has to.

F A K E N E W S

They are not designated QB runs like Lamar or traditional impromptu scrambling, but still by design:

Instead, Allen scrambles -- and again, that's not objectively bad. As a matter of fact, I would argue that the second prong of Daboll's savvy maximization of Allen's current skills has been exactly this: he designs plays to let Allen scramble.

As I said above, there's no way a player's depth of target increases that much, and his rushing yards become that astronomical, unless the coaching staff is on board with that style of offense. Allen's depth of target and rushing yards have both ballooned because Allen's legs have become his checkdown. When he sees green, he's allowed to just go get it -- just as Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold and Lamar Jackson are encouraged to "take the easy throw," Allen gets to "take the easy run."

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/brian-daboll-is-riding-the-josh-allen-rollercoaster

• Like 1

new career high in yards a game at 254/1/2 today. 24/37 for 64.9%

10/38/1 on the ground, and a couple fumbles

I didn't see the turnovers to can't speak to them, but get those cleaned up and there's something to work with here. very clutch performance to get the W today

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

new career high in yards a game at 254/1/2 today. 24/37 for 64.9%

10/38/1 on the ground, and a couple fumbles

I didn't see the turnovers to can't speak to them, but get those cleaned up and there's something to work with here. very clutch performance to get the W today

His chemistry with Brown looks very promising.  I hope Brown can stay healthy in the Buffalo cold.

He looked pretty good. Still made some knuckehead throws but BUF was moving the ball fairly well. Both INT's came off WRs hands, not really on Allen on those. Cole B looked good with him as well as Brown.

• Thanks 1
On 9/5/2019 at 4:43 PM, lolcopter said:

F A K E N E W S

They are not designated QB runs like Lamar or traditional impromptu scrambling, but still by design:

Instead, Allen scrambles -- and again, that's not objectively bad. As a matter of fact, I would argue that the second prong of Daboll's savvy maximization of Allen's current skills has been exactly this: he designs plays to let Allen scramble.

As I said above, there's no way a player's depth of target increases that much, and his rushing yards become that astronomical, unless the coaching staff is on board with that style of offense. Allen's depth of target and rushing yards have both ballooned because Allen's legs have become his checkdown. When he sees green, he's allowed to just go get it -- just as Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold and Lamar Jackson are encouraged to "take the easy throw," Allen gets to "take the easy run."

It has little to do with Buffalo’s coaching staff, Allen did the same thing in college.  If anything when he was drafted the Bills probably asked him to cut down on the scrambling and later realized that wasn’t working. 

Edited by Iron-cock
1 minute ago, Iron-cock said:

It has little to do with Buffalo’s coaching staff, Allen did the same thing in college.  If anything when he was drafted the Bills probably asked him to cut down on the scrambling and later realized that wasn’t working. 

He didn't scramble near this much in college, maybe in his sophomore year.  As a junior he only had 200 yards on the ground.

16 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

He didn't scramble near this much in college, maybe in his sophomore year.  As a junior he only had 200 yards on the ground.

1.  His offensive line was worse.  Sacks take away rush yardage.

2.  He played less games

3.  He had games with over 10 rushes

4.  I watched him in a few games before the draft and I was under the impression he could (and would) run pretty well.  It was clearly a tendency and not something the Bills taught him to do (lol).

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

1.  His offensive line was worse.  Sacks take away rush yardage.

2.  He played less games

3.  He had games with over 10 rushes

4.  I watched him in a few games before the draft and I was under the impression he could (and would) run pretty well.  It was clearly a tendency and not something the Bills taught him to do (lol).

I watch nearly every Poke game, he didn't scramble near this much in college. (Well as much as he did to end last season, the game today was pretty true to his college play)

Just now, hoppychokes said:

I watch nearly every Poke game, he didn't scramble near this much in college. (Well as much as he did to end last season, the game today was pretty true to his college play)

Ok.  I came away from watching a few of his college games (specifically watching him) thinking he would scramble under pressure and either bomb the ball down the field or run depending on circumstance.  

I don’t think the rushing or the deep throws are all that different than what he’s been doing for a long time. If you think otherwise you are welcome to your opinion.  

• Thanks 1

Watched the whole game, he wasn't as bad as the numbers suggest.

I was a big time hater of his during the draft, my opinion of him was basically the same as this website put together by barstool: https://www.barstoolsports.com/draft_josh_allen/

I came away somewhat impressed, he combines frat-boy confidence with untrained athletic instinct.

Now clearly he'll never be the most accurate QB - he doesn't have it in him - but he can win you games. Case in point, yesterday's game-winning drive. When the team needed him most, he went 8 of 10 for 102 yards and a touchdown. That's all that matters. Unlike last season, he has a decent o-line blocking for him. If i'm not mistaken, he already has 3 or 4 game-winning drives in 10 starts. That's pretty damn good by most standards. 

If he was playing for the Giants, his real-life mediocrity (and occasional fantasy stud-liness) would be celebrated and we'd constantly hear fans and media calling him "clutch" and "physically gifted" while overlooking his obvious flaws. But unfortunately, he plays for the Bills, so he isn't taken seriously.

Whatever happens, he'll always be better than Jameis Pinkston. In real life and fantasy.

• Like 2

Once they had to get desperate, he made plays.   IMO they have to play unhinged like that all the time for him to succeed.   The dink and dunk plan in the first half was silly, especially watching them line up the fullback out wide.    However, Allen was at least accurate with those throws, they did move the ball a bit

3 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Once they had to get desperate, he made plays.  

you mean "once they started giving Singletary touches" right?  because the whole offense went from black n' white to glorious technicolor .... the rook was "The Wizard of AHHHHHS!" in that respect. 

they were fun to watch once the Motor got running, freed up Smokey for some nice chunks, as well. 

this offense can be a ton of fun if they let the kids do their thing. 

Allen sacked up, no question ... this kid's a leader. 

• Like 1

Allen has 4 4th quarter comebacks in 12 starts, I believe. He's got the juice. He also has markedly improved his short-area accuracy. I think he showed a lot yesterday to feel good about. However, our play calling is absolutely terrible. dreadful. Fullback out wide, are you serious? I really hope it improves.

Also, when you make Josh Allen be a quarterback as your defensive game plan, bad things are going to happen to you. He's not in the Trubisky, Winston, Jackson (of last year) class. He just isn't. To think he is is indicative of someone having never paid attention to our team. He isn't nearly a finished product yet, but he has something.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

Allen has 4 4th quarter comebacks in 12 starts, I believe. He's got the juice. He also has markedly improved his short-area accuracy. I think he showed a lot yesterday to feel good about. However, our play calling is absolutely terrible. dreadful. Fullback out wide, are you serious? I really hope it improves.

Also, when you make Josh Allen be a quarterback as your defensive game plan, bad things are going to happen to you. He's not in the Trubisky, Winston, Jackson (of last year) class. He just isn't. To think he is is indicative of someone having never paid attention to our team. He isn't nearly a finished product yet, but he has something.

Allen would have 5 4th Quarter comebacks in 12 starts if not for a Charles Clay drop lasy year.

His first INT this week went through Beasley's hands & into the defender's, and the 2nd INT was a tipped ball. The 2 fumbles credited to him were a bad snap by the Center, and a sack/strip where the LT completely whiffed on a block. Allen passed for 64% despite 3 dropped passes & 3 he threw away. If you read between the lines, it was a pretty good game for him, and he moved the chains all day. He needs to clean some stuff up, but looks very promising going forward.

• Thanks 1