NBC Sports Edge Forums

Triston Casas- CI -Red Sox

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, Fielder1831 said:

Really interested in this guy. He was pulled from a game recently. A personal medical issue they called it. I am reading the assumption was Covid related.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Top 10 prospect for me 👀

I feel similar about him as I did Pete Alonso, although Casas is younger and I think has a better hit tool. I'll concede the power might be less than Alonso, but it's still quite big time power.  Tork is a much higher ranked prospect than Casas, and probably deservingly so, but i think the gap between them is less than what the current consensus is. I'm excited to see him get notoriety this year.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

@brockpapersizer Think Casas gets the call this year?

50/50 I think, but I'd certainly bet against a big impact in2021. Red Sox aren't interested in trying to win baseball games again this year, but I do think we might see more super two guys than ever due to collective bargaining.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

@brockpapersizer Think Casas gets the call this year?

I'm not Brock but as a Red Sox fan I seriously doubt it.  It's a rebuilding year.  No need to start his clock early.  Plus 1B and DH are spoken for on the big club.  He will probably get some time in the outfield this season and stay down to get every day AB's which he wouldn't in Boston.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

From PL write up this morning

Triston Casas, 1B BOS (Double-A) 4-for-6, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 3 R 

I’ve been waiting for this to happen all week but Casas finally went nuclear, dumping two homers into outer space and driving in six. He’s a Freddie Freeman prototype in my eyes and should be the Red Sox everyday first baseman as early as Late-July, though it’s likely we don’t see him until early 2022.

From Michael Avallone @MavalloneMiLB :

Whatever frustration Triston Casas might have been feeling over a slow start came to a head Wednesday night. The baseball took the brunt of it.

Boston's top prospect homered twice en route to a career-high six RBIs as Double-A Portland rolled past Hartford, 14-3. Casas added his first double of the season and singled to equal his personal best of four hits set on June 10, 2019.

"Those first few games were tough," Casas said. "I think I was trying to do too much last week. The bat felt like a feather in my hands and my eyes were getting big with every pitch. I was trying to crush everything."

Baseball's 35th-ranked prospect stepped into the box in the top of the first inning in the midst of a 1-for-14 slide over his previous four games. He singled to right field in the opening frame and flied out in the second before hitting the accelerator. Casas blasted his first Double-A homer over the right-center field fence in his third at-bat and followed that with a three-run blast to right-center two innings later. His double to left in the seventh brought home two more runs to give him six RBIs, eclipsing his previous high of four done three times previously. Casas led off the ninth with a chance for a fifth hit but grounded out.

The offensive explosion hiked the 21-year-old's batting average 104 points to .286 while his OPS jumped to .891.

"I'm feeling really good physically and mentally," Casas said. "Tonight I just shortened up my approach, didn't go out of the [strike zone] and had some success. Hopefully I'll keep riding this as long as I can, but I'm really happy to be back out there. I feel good."

Slow starts seem to be a habit for Casas, who hit .208 with 31 strikeouts across 27 games with Greenville in April 2019. The Miami native rebounded to finish his first full-season campaign at .256/.350/.480 with 20 homers and 81 RBIs in 120 contests. He led the Boston farm system with 51 extra-base hits and was named a postseason All-Star.

You thought Triston Casas' first homer was impressive? What about this three-run work of art? 🎨 pic.twitter.com/gEPIEMUNC9

— Portland Sea Dogs (@PortlandSeaDogs) May 13, 2021

Without Minor League action in 2020, Casas took up residence at the Red Sox alternate training site last summer. The 6-foot-4, 252-pound first baseman made sure his time around veterans of the Majors and the Minors wouldn't go to waste. Casas took the same approach during his time with the Major Leaguers in Spring Training. Although he tallied only a single hit in 11 Grapefruit League at-bats, the experience left a lasting impression.

"It was an awesome time for me," Casas said. "I got along with all of the guys and I tried to stick around the bat rack as much as I could. There's some impressive talent [on the Red Sox] and I was able to pick up some tips from a number of guys, all of who were eager to help."

Despite his strong 2019 season, Casas knows his work and time as a Minor Leaguer is far from over ... and he's fine with that.

"I'm not putting any expectations on myself this year. I don't have any specific numbers in mind," Casas said. "I just want to stay healthy, go out there every day and play hard to see where it gets me. I'm not Major League ready yet. I have a lot of work to do, but I'm happy to do it and get where I want to go."

Edited by Wieties
  • Like 1

Really goes to show you how one weeks worth of stats are just that. Last night's performance pushed his season numbers up to great. This is his first time in AA and he turned 21 earlier this year.  He is going to be a problem for the Yankees and the rest of the AL East for years to come. Haven't felt this good about a 1b type prospect (Excluding Vlad) since Alonso.  Guys like this are all whether they hit or not, and I think he does.  He just keeps impressing me.

50 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Really goes to show you how one weeks worth of stats are just that. Last night's performance pushed his season numbers up to great. This is his first time in AA and he turned 21 earlier this year.  He is going to be a problem for the Yankees and the rest of the AL East for years to come. Haven't felt this good about a 1b type prospect (Excluding Vlad) since Alonso.  Guys like this are all whether they hit or not, and I think he does.  He just keeps impressing me.

Agreed...of course I am pumped for Dalbec, Duran, Houck, Downs, but Casas the most... my fear is we trade him for an arm at the deadline if we are in first place, but I am hoping this isn't the case and eventually his number is enshrined on Fenway green for eternity.

Edited by dfstout
7 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Agreed...of course I am pumped for Dalbec, Duran, Houck, Downs, but Casas the most... my fear is we trade him for an arm at the deadline if we are in first place, but I am hoping this isn't the case and eventually his number is enshrined on Fenway green for eternity.

They won't trade him IMO, more likely they dump Chavis or Dalbec.  Either way Casas is a step (or more) above them in terms of a hitter, better than Downs too, but Downs has better defense obviously and steals for fantasy.

• Like 1
Just now, brockpapersizer said:

They won't trade him IMO, more likely they dump Chavis or Dalbec.  Either way Casas is a step (or more) above them in terms of a hitter, better than Downs too, but Downs has better defense obviously and steals for fantasy.

Sounds right... fingers crossed... i love me some TC...

10 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

Brock I’ve read some Freddie Freeman comps on Casas... you buy that?

This thread is littered with me💩posting about him for years now. Take a look. But he’s my favorite hitting prospect and has been for a while. Can’t guarantee he will be Freddie Freeman (who I also love as a hitter ) but I think he’s going to be good. I’m not sure he has the hit tool Freeman does but maybe he gets there, I think he has more power potential though. Reminds me of Alonso with a better hit tool, but Freeman is the comp I hear a lot because of how their bodies and swing are somewhat similar.

He could be a better 1b prospect than Tork. Emphasis on could . People have Tork inside their top 5 overall, not even for just fantasy .

Edited by brockpapersizer