NBC Sports Edge Forums

Todd Gurley 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Having only two players at one of the most injury prone positions is silly. The signing means very little. 

And isn't Kelly going to play special teams?

CJA essentially matched Gurley's production last year when Gurley was elite. Are we expecting a massive drop-off with Brown? Key differences are the line is much worse and the offense is weaker, but it isn't like Gurley was able to elevate past those issues.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean the phantom thigh bruise they reported because his arthritic knee was acting up? Yeah, sure...he's good to go. 

Posted Images

My guess is Brown will be in the 40-60 yard range this week but closer to 60-90 other weeks. SF is going to be tough sledding.

Someone posted an article from the Rams website listing several examples of studs who didn’t get any real play their rookie year under McVay and the writer concluded by saying he didn’t think DH would have a big role this year. Throw in the near non-usage, need for solid pass protection and the fact that the Rams can’t afford to lose any games if they want to make the playoffs and it seems like DH won’t be a problem for Brown.

Given the state of their line and Brown’s lack of pass catching ability, I think the Rams keep doing what they have been doing and he Brown gets 12-18 carries most weeks. Solid RB2. 

Best guess

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

My guess is Brown will be in the 40-60 yard range this week but closer to 60-90 other weeks. SF is going to be tough sledding.

Someone posted an article from the Rams website listing several examples of studs who didn’t get any real play their rookie year under McVay and the writer concluded by saying he didn’t think DH would have a big role this year. Throw in the near non-usage, need for solid pass protection and the fact that the Rams can’t afford to lose any games if they want to make the playoffs and it seems like DH won’t be a problem for Brown.

Given the state of their line and Brown’s lack of pass catching ability, I think the Rams keep doing what they have been doing and he Brown gets 12-18 carries most weeks. Solid RB2. 

Best guess

I'll be thrilled with 60+ yards and a TD this week. 

• Like 1

Hollywood bekons

NFL superstar Todd Gurley has revealed he hopes to start a Hollywood career in acting once he hangs up his cleats.

The LA Rams running back, who boasts a stellar reputation as a touchdown king, believes he's got what it takes to shine in Tinseltown.

In an exclusive interview with DailyMailTV, Gurley, 25, said: 'I'm a pretty good looking guy', adding that he's 'pretty sure' screen roles will be on the table.

Gurley says he has already begun secretly planning some content for a career on the big screen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

Best guess

I don't know about "under McVay."  We're talking about, what, 37 regular season games?

Particularly at RB, it's been the Gurley show anyway since 2017 with exception for the CJA intermission.

But Kupp got some run in '17 at wideout.

24 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I don't know about "under McVay."  We're talking about, what, 37 regular season games?

Particularly at RB, it's been the Gurley show anyway since 2017 with exception for the CJA intermission.

But Kupp got some run in '17 at wideout.

Im just relaying what was in the Rams Wire article. He listed a number of guys. The article is in this or either or both of the M Brown or D Henderson threads.

7 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Im just relaying what was in the Rams Wire article. He listed a number of guys. The article is in this or either or both of the M Brown or D Henderson threads.

I read it.

I'm just suggesting that opinion seems to be missing some context in this situation.

• Like 1

Hopefully it's a short lived absence. Gurley hasn't been stellar thus far and hasn't been moving with the same agility as last year,  but he's pretty much performing like we thought in fantasy, a very solid RB2. One of the most important things is the TDs are still there. We always knew his workload would be scaled back, and his yardage would decline. But he's still averaging 15 touches a game. It's hard to believe he won't be getting that every time he steps on the field. And he's been averaging 15 ppg (ppr) on those touches. 

The injury is key here (captain obvious), if he's healthy enough to roll week 7, then his value and his status as an RB2 is safe. He's the second highest paid RB in the NFL, they have to get their use out of him. 

I'm choosing to remember the good times with Todd Gurley.  How he broke out almost immediately once he got healthy his rookie season.  The big strides he made in the passing game.  His love for lying down inside the 5 yard line to run out the clock instead of scoring a TD.  

As OJ Simpson said in his suicide note, "remember the real OJ instead of this lost person."  Gurley's fantasy career feels like it may be over.  But I'll remember the good times.

• Haha 1

Welp.. At least we got to see that Brown and Henderson are garbage. Brown was stuffed right at the goal-line and Henderson dropped an easy pass. This offense needs Gurely. Hopefully we'll be ready for next week. If he doesn't play again then I'm not buying that his injury is his quad. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Jugernot said:

Welp.. At least we got to see that Brown and Henderson are garbage. Brown was stuffed right at the goal-line and Henderson dropped an easy pass. This offense needs Gurely. Hopefully we'll be ready for next week. If he doesn't play again then I'm not buying that his injury is his quad. 

This is a bad take. Browns attempts were absolutely garbage because the offensive line was garbage and got absolutely 0 push. 

Henderson flashed legitimate skill. 

Gurley was just shown to be replaceable - the entire Rams offense was just embarrassed. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

This is a bad take. Browns attempts were absolutely garbage because the offensive line was garbage and got absolutely 0 push. 

Gurley was just shown to be replaceable - the entire Rams offense was just embarrassed. 

But the offensive line has been garbage this whole season... While I understand that their whole offense was in disarray due to SF's defense, I'm not buying that Gurely wouldn't have fared better based upon what I saw.

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

I think he showed himself to be irreplaceable based on that performance. Brown wasn’t a threat out of the backfield at all and no team cares enough about Henderson yet to really defend him. Gurley would have gotten more out of that putrid line than either of them or at the very least caught passes out of the backfield. 

1 hour ago, Jugernot said:

But the offensive line has been garbage this whole season... While I understand that their whole offense was in disarray due to SF's defense, I'm not buying that Gurely wouldn't have fared better based upon what I saw.

Gurley hasn't really done much either other than punch in short yardage TDs against worse defensive fronts (the Bucs aren't bad but they actually blocked pretty well on those plays).

Maybe he would have scored on 4th and goal, but I doubt it.  There were like three defenders in the backfield as soon as they snapped the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I don't think we learned anything about Gurley's value to the offense this game.  SF was killing their line and I don't think Gurley would've fared much better than his backups.  Gurley against this SF D would've brought you back to some of the Jeff Fisher dog days.

5 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Yeah I don't think we learned anything about Gurley's value to the offense this game.  SF was killing their line and I don't think Gurley would've fared much better than his backups.  Gurley against this SF D would've brought you back to some of the Jeff Fisher dog days.

We did learn that Jared Goff is the L.A. version of Andy Dalton and that even if Gurley is “washed up” he’s by far the most important piece to this offense and it really isn’t even close.

9 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

We did learn that Jared Goff is the L.A. version of Andy Dalton and that even if Gurley is “washed up” he’s by far the most important piece to this offense and it really isn’t even close.

I mean Gurley has been good at falling into the endzone quite a bit this year, but other than that Im gonna have to respectfully disagree, he hasnt provided much more than the 2 backs did on Sunday that played

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

No I couldn't disagree more Gurley Is pretty irrelevant nowadays unless he can revert back to his old self magically. Gurley is no longer the generational type of talent he was the previous two years. In turn Goff is suffering in turn they have no offensive identity right now. Gurley is really not that important anymore its a sad case but because he is a shell of himself now they have no identity... Things were all nice and easy for Goff when he had guys running wide open last year with play action passing off the threat of Gurley.

Edited by CroNY
  • Like 2