NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jimmy Garoppolo 2019 Outlook

urban2014

22 minutes ago, tatddy said:

Actually I own the same 2 QBs. Tough call but I'm starting Jimmy G this week. 49ers have a bye week 4 and they are super motivated to take this first home game and head into the bye 3-0. They have a nice implied team total at 25.75 here. My only concern is Staley out protecting the blind side but I think the 49ers team blocking has been amazing first 2 weeks and the Shanny play calling should open up Kittle and co for a few long td opps. 

Def starting Brissett next week at home vs OAK with SF on a bye and rooting for him to go off this week on my bench. Mack not practicing this week isn't great for their overall O.

Yeah, nailed my gameplan also. San Fran's O-line is making me comfortable with Jimmy, then if Brissett has a solid game I'm all systems go for starting him next week. If Mack is out I doubt much changes, but it may affect my decision slightly.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, mjb said:

Any chance Jimmy G finishes top 10? It’s been a struggle with the likes of Ben, Kyler, Josh A, I need 250/2 minimum weekly, but concern is they run in so many TD’s.

I suppose by attrition he could if he plays 16.  I think Jimmy G is a better QB in real life than fantasy.  Their team's scoring rate per possession with him on the field is elite.  People look at the one lazy stat TD:INT Ratio to discredit him, which is not fair in my opinion with the extremely mediocre WR stable they have.

• Thanks 1

Any thoughts on his week 6 match-up against the Rams?  Think the O-line can keep the Rams pressure at bay?  I know week 5 hasn't even been played but, I'm trying to get a jump on next week by stashing my streamer instead of fighting on the waiver wire.

41 minutes ago, Kilo said:

Any thoughts on his week 6 match-up against the Rams?  Think the O-line can keep the Rams pressure at bay?  I know week 5 hasn't even been played but, I'm trying to get a jump on next week by stashing my streamer instead of fighting on the waiver wire.

They were just gashed by Winston and Russell, in two totally separate ways.  Kyle Shanahan, in my opinion, is the best play caller in the NFL.  He will scheme them a way to put up a lot of points.

• 4 weeks later...

I think he's an ok streaming option, He just hasn't had that many pass attempts per game this season due to the running game, but I think it's possible he sees more pass attempts against the terrible Cardinals pass D.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content

4 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Jimmy G is a stay away because 

1) When they play bad defenses they'll blow people out and just run the ball

2) He's not good enough to throw well against good defenses

I would argue that we don't know if Jimmy G is good enough to throw well against good defenses.  He probably has the easiest QB job in the league, hes never been tested or relied upon to make throws or come from behind.  I think its more of number 1. They running the ball down every teams throat, control the clock, and play good defense.  Jimmy G checks down to Kittle, next thing you know you are down by 2 scores with 5 minutes left.

1 minute ago, Thrill22 said:

I would argue that we don't know if Jimmy G is good enough to throw well against good defenses.  He probably has the easiest QB job in the league, hes never been tested or relied upon to make throws or come from behind.  I think its more of number 1. They running the ball down every teams throat, control the clock, and play good defense.  Jimmy G checks down to Kittle, next thing you know you are down by 2 scores with 5 minutes left.

Right. 

I would argue it’s number 1 and my #2 would be if they are playing a good defense, they will still run it down peoples throats and limit risk and count on the defense to keep them in the game. 

Bottom line is either way they are going to run it and pass minimally, which means JG has virtually no upside.

13 minutes ago, Thrill22 said:

That's fair, but when he has had to throw 30+ times it's mediocre fantasy numbers. Pitt game, bleh. Rams game, bleh. 

image.png.64c8c04bd16279bf53efedd038363333.png

It's not all his fault, it's the way the offense is set up. But I'm not touching him as a fantasy option.

4 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Jimmy G has a lot of fans apparently. Dude has a real high interception percentage on the season. Just play like 2011 Alex Smith and dont turn the ball over bro

Jimmy plays like he dates, high risk. This is what Jimmy had to say during preseason, which I guess the regular season is an extension of preseason to him:

“A big part of that is it still being preseason, or in practice, you try things like that. You know, during a real game, you wouldn’t make that throw or that decision, but there’s a trust factor between quarterback and . . . whoever’s catching the ball. The more you try those things, you see who’s going to make the play for you in a crucial situation.”

15 hours ago, nromn said:

Right. 

I would argue it’s number 1 and my #2 would be if they are playing a good defense, they will still run it down peoples throats and limit risk and count on the defense to keep them in the game. 

Bottom line is either way they are going to run it and pass minimally, which means JG has virtually no upside.

Lol

2 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

He played the QB position about as well as it can be played last night.  Emmanuel Sanders takes this offense to a new level.  16-2 as a starter in the NFL.  Give this man some respect. 

Top 5 in third down efficiency too, that's where QBs make their money

Jimmy G has always been pretty good. The issue withe 49ers was that they never had any receivers to throw to besides Kittle. Hell, I was hoping they would get Dez last year or AB this year. When they played @KC last year, they were down early but they were actually making a nice comeback. Unfortunately, that was the game where he got injured. After that, they could barely win any games without him. 

The niners may still be a run first team but with the addition Sanders, its going to open up more looks for Kittle and the other receivers. I drafted him last year but not this year since they didnt really pick up any good receivers. Looking at their upcoming schedule, they're going to be playing a lot of teams where they may need to throw. It is risky though since their run game and defense are pretty good so they may just grind it out. 

21 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’m starting this fool with confidence over Watson this week. Someone come check on me at 10:30 please. He’s gonna shred that cardinals defense just to prove a point. 

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

I SURVIVED!

Nice call,wished I'd had the stones to do it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fabrini said:

Nice call,wished I'd had the stones to do it.

I was going to pick up Jimmy G and move Kyler to the bench. I wish I would've had the stones to do it, but Kyler did well himself. What bothered me is SF typically doesn't throw a ton and I figured they'd blow out Arizona and just pound the rock. Boy was I wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

I was going to pick up Jimmy G and move Kyler to the bench. I wish I would've had the stones to do it, but Kyler did well himself. What bothered me is SF typically doesn't throw a ton and I figured they'd blow out Arizona and just pound the rock. Boy was I wrong.

I invested heavily on draft night in the 49er's,Jimmy G,Pettis,San Fran D and Shanahan(we start a coach each week).Last night was that kick in the gut game for me Jimmy and Pettis on the bench with the D starting.