NBC Sports Edge Forums

Julian Edelman 2019 Outlook

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, you have a point.  I mostly post while at the office, so that's where my mind-set is at I guess.  In this instance though the last post was from 2/12, so this was more about me liking Edelman an

Dropped

HANDSHAKES AND HIGHFIVES BOYS!! the ppr monster is back 

Is this dude injured, something about his thumb for anyone who saw the game last night? WHICH HE SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN IN!

UPDATE 7:12 a.m. ET: Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that it was a “minor scare” for Edelman.

Thats the latest I've seen. 

Edited by nmartinez12443

“As far as Julian Edelman’s thumb goes, my understanding is that is not actually what he injured, so your worry on his thumb should be very low,” Rapoport said. “Yes, it looked a little scary … (but) my understanding is his thumb is fine and his hand that he injured is going to be fine. This is not a major worry for Julian Edelman. And to reinforce that fact, he didn’t go in and seek medical attention, he stayed on the sideline, did not seem to be in pain. A little scare, but my understanding is no major worry for the New England Patriots and for Edelman after last night.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2019/08/julian-edelman-injury-latest-on-patriots-wr-after-scare-in-fourth-preseason-game/

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy about having Edelman before, now I am freaking ecstatic! WR3? LOL!!!! Brown and Gordon on the outside is going to open up the middle like the parting of the Red Sea for Edelman to go nuts in the slot! You think 42 year Brady is going to be chucking it 50 yards downfield into double coverage? lol Edelman is going to have a monster year. WR1 numbers for sure. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

I was happy about having Edelman before, now I am freaking ecstatic! WR3? LOL!!!! Brown and Gordon on the outside is going to open up the middle like the parting of the Red Sea for Edelman to go nuts in the slot! You think 42 year Brady is going to be chucking it 50 yards downfield into double coverage? lol Edelman is going to have a monster year. WR1 numbers for sure. 

You realize that one thing all WR1’s have in common is 150 targets +  

while I don’t think this is the end for Edelman this certainly doesn’t help.

1 minute ago, OdellBaconJr said:

it won't hurt edelman at all... edelman plays in the slot teams are going to be concerned about AB and Gordon on the outside tho

This will still take targets from Edelman but Gordon will be the most affected 

7 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

You realize that one thing all WR1’s have in common is 150 targets +  

...and JuJu had 166 targets last year to Brown's 168 and had a monster year mostly out of the slot...

Brady and Edelman have been playing together for years and have a chemistry. Brown doesn't just walk onto the field week 2 and have that. Its going to take time. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1
Just now, Dexter75 said:

...and JuJu had 166 targets last year to Brown's 168 and had a monster year mostly out of the slot...

If Edelman gets 166 targets then I think he’ll be a high end WR2 at worst and could very possibly be a WR1... i just don’t see that happening with AB, Gordon, White also getting targets. There’s only one football.

Edelman takes the biggest hit. Everyone besides Brown gets downgraded but Edelman has superbowl rings, no ego, and a great relationship with Brady. He'll be the first guy willing to take one for guy the team to get better and wait for his moment in the playoffs. He'll still get his in the slot but targets aren't going to be there. Pats don't sign Brown unless they know they can give him what he wants. Brady/Pats get a top 3 WR, Brown gets what he wants. 

There's just not going to be enough targets/TD's for everyone. Brady isn't throwing for 50 again. Pats will still run the ball/get the RB's the ball in space. Brown will eat a huge chunk of the remaining targets. 

Let's hope Gronk isn't coming back by week 6-9. 

3 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

If Edelman gets 166 targets then I think he’ll be a high end WR2 at worst and could very possibly be a WR1... i just don’t see that happening with AB, Gordon, White also getting targets. There’s only one football.

Gordon is the one who loses out big time. Hes basically going to be a decoy out there. I could easily see Edelman getting 120+ targets with around 90 receptions for 1200+ yards. Gronk is gone and Brown will surely see double teams more times than not. Edelman is going to see a ton of targets.

9 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Brady and Edelman have been playing together for years and have a chemistry. Brown doesn't just walk onto the field week 2 and have that. Its going to take time. 

And that's the Steelers .. who don't have the GOAT coach. The Patriots are going to take advantage of all there weapons. Not run anybody into the ground before the superbowl. Still run the ball, and get White/Sony some catches. Brown will be the only safe/consistent choice because there's zero chance they sign him if they aren't planning on keeping him happy. They know he's a diva, and we all know he'll get the most targets. I think the remaining targets will be a weekly/matchup thing. Sometimes Edelman will pop, others Gordon will, other times it'll be most about getting the RB's the ball. James White had a 123 targets last year. The Pats have so many weapons, Bill's going to keep teams on there feet all year playing a guessing game. No doubt Edelman is going to eat teams alive some weeks, but no chance he's a consistent WR 1 or 2 IMO.