NBC Sports Edge Forums

Julian Edelman 2019 Outlook

Edelman is going to be the one who's on the field for every snap, not AB. Even with Dorsett and Gordon feasting last night, Edelman still put up low end WR1 numbers in PPR.

Edelman's floor is safe even with the addition of AB. Gordon goes from a solid WR2 to a boom/bust WR2. All 3 can still be Top 20 WRs though, in fact I'd say it's likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, you have a point.  I mostly post while at the office, so that's where my mind-set is at I guess.  In this instance though the last post was from 2/12, so this was more about me liking Edelman an

Dropped

HANDSHAKES AND HIGHFIVES BOYS!! the ppr monster is back 

1 hour ago, Nah85 said:

Me on the other hand feels like he will take a dip.  So many weapons at their disposal next week with brown in the line up.

Like Prime said last night, as long as Brown understands that he's not going to be the main guy, and that Edelman is the #1, Gordon is the #2 and so on, he will fit in just fine. I think Brown takes the targets that Dorsett saw last night. Edelman will continue to be the target leader while Brown and Gordon are kinda like 2A and 2B for the next most targets with Brown the 2A. Edelman played 96% of the snaps last night, as usual. He rarely comes off the field and he's been a target monster since 2013. On average, Brady attempted 35 passes a game last year and only 4 of those attempts per game were 20 yards or more. Granted, he had Gordon and not someone as good as Brown but he's 42 and his arm didnt look particularly strong last night on the few deep passes he threw. Will be interesting to see how it goes though. 

Edited by Dexter75

Let's all remember how the Patriots work - it's all about trust and the trust factor.  Bringing AB on board just causes the defense to have to consider zone or double covering him.  Now you have AB and Gordon that need extra attention on the field - this is going to spread the field open so that Brady can do what Brady wants - run run run and throw to Edelman and White.  

As much as I feel nervous about AB's presence - I am not too sure.  Edelman and White are going to each receive a drive a game where the entire offense is based on using them to move the chains - that is the Patriots Way.  

Hard to argue that the addition of AB isn't at least a slight  downgrade for Edelman.  That said, I do believe it's just a small knock.  He'll get you a safe 60-80 yards per week on 5-8 receptions with the small hope of a TD (probably gets like 4 all year).  AB lowers his ceiling, but his floor remains as safe as anyone in the NFL when healthy.  And that's valuable.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:12 PM, abc12345 said:

Does AB make Edelman better or worse overall?

Wondering the same as well🤔

Sitting him this week for John Brown..Besides AB, he's going have limited time to be productive in a game that's going be over in first 10 minutes imo

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

Wondering the same as well🤔

Sitting him this week for John Brown..Besides AB, he's going have limited time to be productive in a game that's going be over in first 10 minutes imo

Totally agree, particularly w/bolded, that Edelman's services will not be required this Sunday. Assuming AB is going to stick around for a while this is a perfect time to play with the new toy and get him some reps/catches.

Also agree with the consensus that long term Edelman's role is what it always has been. Adding yet another deep threat does not change the playbook in NE, as has been shown time and time again. The "downfield divas" will be fighting over that stuff.

• Like 1

So NE's schedule is the following for the remainder of the fantasy season. Which weeks would Edelman be serviceable? I cannot have another single digit fantasy output from him again...

Week 3: Jets
Week 4: Bills
Week 5: Redskins
Week 6: Giants
Week 7: Jets
Week 8: Browns
Week 9: Ravens
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Eagles
Week 12: Cowboys
Week 13: Texans 
Week 14: Chiefs

19 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

So NE's schedule is the following for the remainder of the fantasy season. Which weeks would Edelman be serviceable? I cannot have another single digit fantasy output from him again...

Week 3: Jets
Week 4: Bills
Week 5: Redskins
Week 6: Giants
Week 7: Jets
Week 8: Browns
Week 9: Ravens
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Eagles
Week 12: Cowboys
Week 13: Texans 
Week 14: Chiefs

Week 14

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All kidding aside, there are several factors working against him this year:

1) Obviously loaded receiving corp with AB, Gordon, James White.

2) Defense is looking elite, which is negative game flow for passing offenses, as they will probably milk the clock more with a lead. Michel looks to be the main beneficiary here.

3) Incredibly soft schedule for the first 7 games, against inept offenses which reinforces 2), resulting in bad game flows for the passing offense.

Weeks 9-14 could be decent, and a suspension to Brown wouldn't hurt either.

30 minutes ago, Nah85 said:

I was ready to bench for next week.  But let’s see what happens with the other guy first.

he was still serviceable for me in the flex in ppr.

You don't bench the favorite target of Brady who plays over 90% of the snaps every game and who's lead the team in targets for years...

Edited by Dexter75

This game will be over by the second quarter. I'm thinking about starting John Brown in his place. I feel a lot more confident on a WR2/WR3 fringe type player that's the more clearcut number 1 option on his team. He could very well blow up but there are too many mouths to feed. Given the emergence of the Pat's defense, this game could get ugly in a hurry.