NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tom Brady 2019 Outlook

On 9/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, Iron-cock said:

Rotoworld, we need to talk.

I am the president of the "Tom Brady is overrated" fanclub.  That being said I have some new facts to point out for 2019.

In the past, I've pointed out how Brady's competent years as a quarterback have come with hall of fame weapons were around him.  Specifically Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski.  Without them, he's simply an above average Quarterback.

Well, I ran across an interesting fact...only nine wide receivers since the year 2000 have had over 1600 receiving yards in a season.  

Here are seven of them:

Antonio Brown

Marvin Harrison

Torry Holt

Calvin Johnson

Julio Jones

Randy Moss

Rod Smith

Can you guess the two others?

They are:

Josh Gordon and Demaryius Thomas

In addition he has Julian Edelman, N'Keal Harry, Phillip Dorsett, a UDFA named Jakobi Meyers who catches everything like he's spider man, etc. 

Tom Brady's currently ranked as QB #17, and the 121st player on FantasyPros, which is apparently based on a "Consensus of 29 Experts". 

The Rotoworld draft guide has him at QB 18, two spots above the immortal Mitchell Trubisky.

Brady had 570 attempts last year, more than 30 attempts in 14 of 16 games and more than 40 in 4 of 14 games.

These experts are way off the mark with where Brady will likely finish in relation to other Quarterbacks.

You did draft Tom Brady this season, right Rotoworld?  Even I drafted him.  His ADP is way too low.

Ok, now he has 3 of the 7 WRs who have gone over 1600 yards since 2000.

Although I'm thinking DT gets released, right?  Unless Gordon is in trouble again....

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends what your definition of GOAT is. Honestly, i'm not too into NFL history like I am with the NBA so I can only speak from guys i've seen.  PERSONALLY, I rather have Rodgers and Manning.

Wow, you "Seattle sychophants" are angry people. I cannot stand Boston sports fans for the most part, but how about giving them the respect of calling them fans instead of "sychophants"? Lik

Logic always goes out the window when discussing Brady because if you don't like him you've already made up your mind on this years ago and nothing will change your opinion.. he could win two more Sup

13 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Although I'm thinking DT gets released, right?  Unless Gordon is in trouble again....

I would've agreed, that's an interesting point about how risky it is to give Gordon a roster spot though. Maybe they keep DT.

5 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I would've agreed, that's an interesting point about how risky it is to give Gordon a roster spot though. Maybe they keep DT.

I think Gordon's money is Guaranteed, DT's isn't.  Granted it's mostly about the roster spot, but still 2M is 2M.

Edited by Iron-cock
Just now, Iron-cock said:

I think Gordon's money is Guaranteed, DT's isn't.  Granted it's mostly about the roster spot, but still 2M is 2M.

Nah I mean they might keep both. And I think the Patriots have been open to some weird roster configurations in the past if it meant having the best 53 man roster they can assemble.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Maybe they can bring back Calvin Johnson and Tory Holt so they have 5?</sarcasm>

I mean, in Fantasy you don't want pay for history, and the same goes in the NFL. Belichick hired them for what they can do this year, which is not going to be 1600 yards pp.

It doesn't change that Brady is 83 and has a noodle arm by now. It will help open up the field for the running game, and Brady will still be a good fantasy QB, but not top 5. I'm just not buying that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

Where do we rank Brady now? Top 12? TD total much higher? 

I’m rolling with Kyler and Lamar Jackson, and I’ve got Brady sitting in my FA pool. Getting the nerve up to make some move for him.

I think the only reason that people are moving Brady so far up the ranks based on one (if he has his head on straight? probably still a Top 3 receiver in the NFL. But still) player being added to his team, is that the QBs are already so close anyway. I mean this honestly probably adds like 12 points to Brady in my projections on the year. But if you had him ranked where he was in consensus ranks, which is currently QB18 on FantasyPros, then that difference can honestly bump him up to being like QB6-10. That doesn't mean you should make a move for him, though. That just further proves how little value those QBs have. Josh Allen is 33% owned on Yahoo! I wouldn't give up anything of value for Brady.

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

It doesn't change that Brady is 83 and has a noodle arm by now. It will help open up the field for the running game, and Brady will still be a good fantasy QB, but not top 5. I'm just not buying that.

Actually, Brady was working all offseason on arm strength and speed on his throws, they clocked him a month ago throwing what would be the 2nd fastest ball mph wise in NFL combine history (61 mph, only Josh Allen has thrown faster at 62 mph)...  So don't know if I'd exactly call that a noodle arm.  

Edited by TheChamp
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, TheChamp said:

Actually, Brady was working all offseason on arm strength and speed on his throws, they clocked him a month ago throwing what would be the 2nd fastest ball mph wise in NFL combine history (61 mph, only Josh Allen has thrown faster at 62 mph)...  So don't know if I'd exactly call that a noodle arm.  

Still doesn't prove he can throw a deep ball.

Manning started hot his final season, but faded big time coming down the stretch.

I don't think the issue will be with Brady's ability to throw...I think his body will quit on him before his ability to pass degrades. Being able to recover from the weekly abuse playing NFL  causes.....

but I agree with some of the other posters....I am not seeing him being a difference maker in fantasy overall in terms of raw numbers. should outperform his ADP.

36 minutes ago, iphone said:

Manning started hot his final season, but faded big time coming down the stretch.

That was his second last season.  I think he had some lingering quad issue people were correlated to his drop off in play.  His last season he was noticeably off from the start.  I would know, I drafted him hoping he'd be the usual Peyton and after watching him throw his first pass that year I knew I made a BIG mistake.  Not sure if that's the norm for all QBs though.  Favre, another guy who played a long time seemed to hit a noticeably wall after a great first season in Minnesota.

Edited by Illusion_J
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, iphone said:

Your thinking about his second to last year.  His last year he 2 decent games vs horrible D's that made his numbers look ok.   Then by week 6 had 6 tds and 7 ints and was benched by week 10

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, iphone said:

wow. my memory sucks.

its crazy to think Tom is 3 years older than Manning was in his last season, 4 years older than Marino's last season....older than Favre....TB12 is obviously doing something right.

The biggest thing is he has never had upper body injuries and only had one serious injury(ACL) but it happened when he was young enough(30).

Tom Brady worked out with his newly aquired WR's at his TB12 facility. Brady trying to build rappor with WR's. Brady has sooooo many legit targets. I see him as a top 5 QB now. I bet they run the score up this week through passing to help build more chemistry using this game litterally like a scrimmage. 

8 minutes ago, jeremyt7 said:

The hate on TB was so unprecedented and blasphemy. Never bet against the GOAT he was a steal at his ADP and will finish top 7ish qb. 

Top 7? He has potential to end top 5 easy. These guys had Baker mayfield ranked in like the top 5. Just how and why?

Edited by StevenSC400