NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tom Brady 2019 Outlook

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends what your definition of GOAT is. Honestly, i'm not too into NFL history like I am with the NBA so I can only speak from guys i've seen.  PERSONALLY, I rather have Rodgers and Manning.

Wow, you "Seattle sychophants" are angry people. I cannot stand Boston sports fans for the most part, but how about giving them the respect of calling them fans instead of "sychophants"? Lik

Logic always goes out the window when discussing Brady because if you don't like him you've already made up your mind on this years ago and nothing will change your opinion.. he could win two more Sup

1 minute ago, jeremyt7 said:

I was being modest. He definitely could end up being a top 5 qb he's got outstanding weapons to throw to. I'm on board for sure. 

The only QBs I would 100% for sure want over him would be Mahomes and probably Watson. Outside of those two I think he has a chance for top 5 no less than anyone else.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, Iron-cock said:

Rotoworld, we need to talk.

I am the president of the "Tom Brady is overrated" fanclub.  That being said I have some new facts to point out for 2019.

In the past, I've pointed out how Brady's competent years as a quarterback have come with hall of fame weapons were around him.  Specifically Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski.  Without them, he's simply an above average Quarterback.

Well, I ran across an interesting fact...only nine wide receivers since the year 2000 have had over 1600 receiving yards in a season.  

Here are seven of them:

Antonio Brown

Marvin Harrison

Torry Holt

Calvin Johnson

Julio Jones

Randy Moss

Rod Smith

Can you guess the two others?

They are:

Josh Gordon and Demaryius Thomas

In addition he has Julian Edelman, N'Keal Harry, Phillip Dorsett, a UDFA named Jakobi Meyers who catches everything like he's spider man, etc. 

Tom Brady's currently ranked as QB #17, and the 121st player on FantasyPros, which is apparently based on a "Consensus of 29 Experts". 

The Rotoworld draft guide has him at QB 18, two spots above the immortal Mitchell Trubisky.

Brady had 570 attempts last year, more than 30 attempts in 14 of 16 games and more than 40 in 4 of 14 games.

These experts are way off the mark with where Brady will likely finish in relation to other Quarterbacks.

You did draft Tom Brady this season, right Rotoworld?  Even I drafted him.  His ADP is way too low.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:49 PM, Boudewijn said:

Maybe they can bring back Calvin Johnson and Tory Holt so they have 5?</sarcasm>

I mean, in Fantasy you don't want pay for history, and the same goes in the NFL. Belichick hired them for what they can do this year, which is not going to be 1600 yards pp.

It doesn't change that Brady is 83 and has a noodle arm by now. It will help open up the field for the running game, and Brady will still be a good fantasy QB, but not top 5. I'm just not buying that.

I don't think I mentioned top 5 anywhere, but I did say his ADP was way too low and QB18 was ridiculous.

Even without AB, I think it was pretty evident last week.  He finished as QB7.

• Like 1

Projection time.

I’m thinking he finishes around 4,800 yards and 35 TDs. That should/will easily be good enough for Top 5.

Finishing 2nd could definitely happen. Last year there was only a 9 point difference separating 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th and a 5 point difference between 4th and 5th. 

In 2017 as the defense improved over the course of the season, Brady's numbers dropped off because they reeled the offense in.  They don't want him getting hurt.  Brady owners better hope the defense isn't as good as it looked against the Steelers.

5 hours ago, TheChamp said:

Happy now?  lol

Never said he couldn't or wouldn't. Just stated THE FACT that working on arm strength doesn't make one better at throwing deep.

Working on deep throws makes you better. Deep throws ACTUALLY need more touch. 

Edited by this guy right here

Plus the Steelers are weak in the air so thats what the pats attacked.  Bradys pretty up and down. When they play teams weak in the air, they air it, weak against the run? Then run it down their throats. 

Brady has a pretty low floor due to that and the fact that he's a team a player. He doesn't go for stats or tds, he just goes for wins and that translates to high ceilings and low floors. Temper your expectations 

2 hours ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

Plus the Steelers are weak in the air so thats what the pats attacked.  Bradys pretty up and down. When they play teams weak in the air, they air it, weak against the run? Then run it down their throats. 

Brady has a pretty low floor due to that and the fact that he's a team a player. He doesn't go for stats or tds, he just goes for wins and that translates to high ceilings and low floors. Temper your expectations 

Given the amount of skilled playmakers he has around him, I think he actually has a pretty high floor. Dumping the ball off to White, Burkhead, Edelman and AB... Doesn't take much for those guys to make your stat line look good. Also, their time of possession is going to be up over years past because this defense is stacked, and the division might be worse than ever. Brady could not be in a better situation to succeed. 

11 hours ago, roscobangs said:

Given the amount of skilled playmakers he has around him, I think he actually has a pretty high floor. Dumping the ball off to White, Burkhead, Edelman and AB... Doesn't take much for those guys to make your stat line look good. Also, their time of possession is going to be up over years past because this defense is stacked, and the division might be worse than ever. Brady could not be in a better situation to succeed. 

I agree I’d much rather have Gordon and AB with Edelman in the slot white in the backfield than Edelman and a banged up Gronk from years of wear and tear last year. They aren’t going to run as much this year with all those weapons. 

Brady always had the touch, the problem was his biggest deep threat he's had in the last 10 years has probably been Chris Hogan. (To which he threw a number of bombs too)  When he finally got a real deep threat in Gordon, he lead the NFL in receiving yards the last 8 weeks they were together and had plenty of long throws/bombs along the way.  

24 minutes ago, TheChamp said:

Brady always had the touch, the problem was his biggest deep threat he's had in the last 10 years has probably been Chris Hogan. (To which he threw a number of bombs too)  When he finally got a real deep threat in Gordon, he lead the NFL in receiving yards the last 8 weeks they were together and had plenty of long throws/bombs along the way.  

Cooks would take that honor I believe.

1 hour ago, Rickydragon said:

He’ll be fine for about 10 weeks.  But I see his production toning down once weather and fatigue kicks in.  No way they’re gonna risk getting him injured for stats

What? He'll play every snap and they never let off the gas pedal.

I dont think you guys understand the pats. Im not saying brady is gonna be s---y. Im just saying that he will have some really bad games because the pats abd brady only care about winning. If it takes 30 runs to win a game they'll do it, and it will translate to bad fantasy production. Just dont use him against teams bad against the run

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 9:21 AM, kretan182 said:

I feel he was a steal for most who drafted him this year. I got him in the 13th round, and I am starting him every week over Aaron Rodgers. The Patriots schedule and the AB trade make the old dinosaur a must start.

I have the same issue, I drafted A Rodgers about ten rounds earlier than I drafted Brady, but Brady has been starting for me. Are you worried about Brady this week going to Buffalo? I'm thinking of starting Rodgers against that weak PHI secondary, but Brady's floor seems so high right now that it's hard to not start him.

53 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

I have the same issue, I drafted A Rodgers about ten rounds earlier than I drafted Brady, but Brady has been starting for me. Are you worried about Brady this week going to Buffalo? I'm thinking of starting Rodgers against that weak PHI secondary, but Brady's floor seems so high right now that it's hard to not start him.

I am very torn about this week. After reading articles and blurbs, I have decided to roll with Rodgers tonight, considering he has a home game against a weak Eagles secondary. However, my gut tells me to start Brady, who is the very face on consistency and has a high floor. The release of Brown should not effect him whatsoever, since the rest of the Pats receivers are healthy and they have two competent receiving backs.

Edited by kretan182
  • 2 weeks later...

Against one of the most cupcake matchups in the league? Not at all. 

The Bills defense is easily top-5 in the league, so it wasn't too surprising to see the Pats offense struggle last week. This is a nice bounce back spot for the entire offense.

2 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Against one of the most cupcake matchups in the league? Not at all. 

The Bills defense is easily top-5 in the league, so it wasn't too surprising to see the Pats offense struggle last week. This is a nice bounce back spot for the entire offense.

I hope you're right. I'd be a lot more confident in his stats if Josh Gordon didn't play like he was just an average receiver.

No TE's to throw to, just James White for 8 yards.