NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rafael Devers 2019 Outlook

Honestly I still continue to scoff at how many people have bashed him cuz he wasn’t producing power early in the season. Many of us, including myself, drafted him hoping for pop but with a .240 - .250 average with little to no speed.  Instead he has performed as a well rounded 5 cat guy and for anyone who drafted him, he’s been a complete value and steal. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, it is concerning, but you see him as a difficult case, and I see him as still every possibility is on the table equally case. Yes same conclusion, but there is a but.     Ok,

Not top 10?  It is a race between him and Trout for AL MVP right now.

Crossing my fingers.  

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

What impresses me the most is how much his K% has improved. It's down 8.6% from last season. All he needs to do now is increase his BB% and he'll be good to go. 

Your BB% is only going to get so high with guys like Bogaerts and Martinez hitting behind you.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Goatstain3 said:

Bryant?

james franco wtf GIF

Since 2015:

Bryant has been the 2nd best 3B since 2015 (2nd in wRC+), and that includes his putrid 2018. The only thing that sucks about him is RBIs, and he's ranked 3rd (only Arenado & Machado have more than him). And he's ranked 2nd in runs. 

Yeah, I get it, people love new toys so everyone is all over Devers. As I said, wont fault anyone for taking him over Bryant. But reality check: Bryant is one of the best in the game.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, jspeco9 said:

Since 2015:

Bryant has been the 2nd best 3B since 2015 (2nd in wRC+), and that includes his putrid 2018. The only thing that sucks about him is RBIs, and he's ranked 3rd (only Arenado & Machado have more than him). And he's ranked 2nd in runs. 

Yeah, I get it, people love new toys so everyone is all over Devers. As I said, wont fault anyone for taking him over Bryant. But reality check: Bryant is one of the best in the game.

Yes, agreed about Bryant.

2 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

Since 2015:

It isn't a case of a shinny new toy.  To anyone that watched him day-to-day, Devers was obviously growing and learning and was going to do what he is doing right now.  He had superstar written all over him even when still raw last year.

And I own Bryant in a couple of leagues.  Great first two years but then injuries and not so great since.  Still good but not great these past two years and how much it is from a lingering injury and how much it is because he regressed is so hard to tell.  But one thing for sure.  I'd trade him for Devers right now but I'd just get laughed at.  And laughed at last year even.

On 7/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, Evincar said:

Yeah Im going to wait until Devers puts together one full elite season before I would even consider putting him over Bregman.

This comment is going to age like a fine vinegar.  

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Devers compared to other 3B:

11th in HR

2nd in AVG

1st in Runs

4th in RBI

2nd in HIts

2nd in SB

2nd in Doubles

4th in OPS

3rd in wOBA

4th in wRC+

3rd in WAR

Yeah, but it hasn't been a full season yet. 

Scrub.

49 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Crossing my fingers.  

I think it's pretty safe unless the Red Sox decide "Hey, making the playoffs is overrated.  We'll give Tampa a shot this year and then try again next year, so Rafael, you are sitting the rest of the season."

• Haha 1

I feel like he’s been quietly putting together this remarkable season. Not really hearing too much buzz on him from podcats and analysts. He started off cold but didn’t know he has Trout like comparable numbers. It’s a bit far fetched that Devers comes out the AL as the MVP as long as Trout is playing the way he always plays. Devers is showing his poised as one of their future stars for years to come.

Edited by The_Real_Deal
On 5/8/2019 at 12:21 PM, motown magic said:

no Freaking way he reaches 20 hrs this year . You better hope he gets 15  

He's the fourth ranked hitter as of this morning in standard leagues (behind Yelich, Bellinger, and Trout).  

47 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

He leads the Majors in RBI since May 1st. 65 RBI in 64 Games. Oh, he's also second in Runs since May 1st with 59. Crazy. 

And the guy ranked first bats in front of him. Look out for Boston if Mookie and JD get back into last years form.