NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rafael Devers 2019 Outlook

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, it is concerning, but you see him as a difficult case, and I see him as still every possibility is on the table equally case. Yes same conclusion, but there is a but.     Ok,

Not top 10?  It is a race between him and Trout for AL MVP right now.

Crossing my fingers.  

I know it’s early but with Chavis already flexing power, it’s getting hard to keep this guy in a 12-teamer.  Everyone says be patient with Devers but it’s not a guarantee he suddenly explodes. He’s young and maybe his sophomore slump hits him his junior year. 

On 4/23/2019 at 9:02 AM, RoadApple said:

He has 6 errors already after making 24 last year. I watch him make outstanding plays and then boot plays he should make which leads to me believe he can at least be adequate defensively. But you have to wonder, if that doesnt happen, if his defense affects his playing time? Especially if he isnt hitting.

No it will not effect his playing time.

And made his 8th error today . Think he made 26 last year . I said it in the Chavis thread . When Pedroia comes back next week Chavis will either sit or take over at third his natural spot.Chavis did make an error on a throw today that came from trying to rush the turn at second on a dp. 

Devers is not lifting the ball . He’s doing nothing to keep Chavis from stealing his job . 

Small sample size for Chavis but he has a higher OBP, Higher slugging oh and he has 3 hrs. How many does Devers have?If Chavis stays in the lineup at the rate he's going he'll catch Devers in RBI by the mid of next week. BA is meaningless. Just ask Harper owners.

20 hours ago, motown magic said:

And made his 8th error today . Think he made 26 last year . I said it in the Chavis thread . When Pedroia comes back next week Chavis will either sit or take over at third his natural spot.Chavis did make an error on a throw today that came from trying to rush the turn at second on a dp. 

Devers is not lifting the ball . He’s doing nothing to keep Chavis from stealing his job . 

Devers is fine and is the everyday 3B for years to come.  Boston has no complaints against him. They know he is young and was rushed up and is still learning on the job.  His fielding has gotten better and his bat will be big time power eventually.  Meanwhile he has a talent to get his hits at critical times and is doing quite well thank you.

13 minutes ago, absmoke said:

Chavis is not taking over 3B from Devers. Devers is a 22 year old former top prospect, they are giving him every opportunity to grow and succeed. If Chavis is taking anyone's job it's 2B from Pedroia. Pedey looks done.

This.  The black hole is at 2B, not at 3B.  BOTH Devers and Chavis will play regularly.  Pedroia needs to be put on the 60 day IL or better yet, retire.  He is a drag on the whole team at this point and if he is activated he will take up an active roster spot and force the team to basically play with a 24 man roster.  Best get out gracefully then hang on and ruin your legacy.  He would make a great coach in the organization and a very HIGHLY paid one given how long his contract is.

Bottom line.  Devers, barring injuries, is not going away from being an everyday ever.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Not a Sox fan but I can't see any concerns about him losing playing time or getting sent down. His average is right around .300, K rate is way down, and walk rate is up. The changes he made to his approach are currently hurting his fantasy value, but they are helping his real life value at the plate.

For fantasy purposes... Hard contract rate and average exit velocity are excellent. Launch angle is a ghastly 3.9% so no wonder he's not hitting any homers.

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Not a Sox fan but I can't see any concerns about him losing playing time or getting sent down. His average is right around .300, K rate is way down, and walk rate is up. The changes he made to his approach are currently hurting his fantasy value, but they are helping his real life value at the plate.

For fantasy purposes... Hard contract rate and average exit velocity are excellent. Launch angle is a ghastly 3.9% so no wonder he's not hitting any homers.

What’s the average launch angle percentage?? 

Edited by hangin n wangin

As a Sox fan I think he's becoming a more complete hitter, he can still smoke the ball however. Power should come, but it's nice to see him hitting well overall. It's his defense that might get him a day off here and there, he's got like 8 of the Sox 15 IF errors this season. 

3 hours ago, bradwatson said:

And he stole another base tonight which makes 4 in this first month.  The diet the Sox basically put him on in the off season has paid off as he looks healthier and can actually run pretty decently these days as well.  The power will eventually come but it's better to see him show a better eye at the plate and get himself in better shape for now.

• Like 2

No one in my Dynasty leagues want him.  Been trying to move him since spring training and no reasonable offers or responses.  I guess best to hold in that situation, but I am definitely not as confident in his long term potential as I was the past couple of seasons.

18 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Buxton has more HRs. That's a joke

Devers has more steals than Lorenzo Cain and Jose Peraza so I guess this is fair?  

The launch angle has to be remedied.  The only good thing about that is that a lot of players have made big changes to this very successfully in recent years so it is a well worn path and a very achievable adjustment.

12 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Average, OBP, runs, and SB good. Everything else. Bad.

He's not doing what I had hoped, but at least he's not hitting under the Mendoza line.

Kinda weird right? He's been about the exact opposite of what I expected... I expected solid power (20-30 homers), .250ish average, mediocre OBP, and 0-5 steals - basically Moustakas. Instead, so far he's looking like DJ Lemahieu