NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler Glasnow 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome WHIP will be tough if he continues walking 4.5 per 9. K rate is on point though. Great sleeper.

Underlying metrics suggest he was better in the second half than his final numbers dictate. Tremendous upside and a breakout candidate for me this year.

I remember reading when he was on the verge of being called up that Glasnow would just take more time to develop because of his height. Seems like the Pirates just gave up too early.  But man can

He might have thrown 1 or 2 changeups, but was devastating folks by setting them up Curve/FB up or FB up/Curve all day long with a low PC to boot.  

ETA he located well all day long throughout the zone though.

Edited by STLSU
1 hour ago, STLSU said:

He might have thrown 1 or 2 changeups, but was devastating folks by setting them up Curve/FB up or FB up/Curve all day long with a low PC to boot.  

ETA he located well all day long throughout the zone though.

Can't under estimate the effect Charlie Morton is having on this kid. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wallach17 said:

Some teams are smarter than others, some teams are dumber than others 

True, but just be glad he's in Tampa.  I highly doubt we'd be witnessing this right now if he still was there.  It was obvious it was never going to work there, as he's a different pitcher in Tampa.

2 hours ago, wallach17 said:

Some teams are smarter than others, some teams are dumber than others 

Of course. Chances are he'd still be toiling in the bullpen in Pittsburgh. They didn't do right by Cole (okay, he did have that one season), then he went to Houston. They didn't do right by Glasnow, now he's in Tampa. Once is coincidence, twice is a pattern. 

Tampa's scouting is incredible and Pittsburgh is a poorly ran organization. These dudes gave up Glasnow, Meadows, AND a former first round pick Shane Baz, who also has a big ceiling, for friggin' Chris Archer. Might go down as one of the best trades in recent memory.

• Like 2

Diggin it...my only question is why did he come out at just 85 pitches? I know it's early in the season but this is his third solid start....why not let him at least get into the 90's/one more inning? Trying real hard not to be greedy & that 85 number bothers me.

As a Pirates fan, this trade breaks my heart but happy for both Glasnow & Meadows. Neil Huntington had best keep his resume current after a deal like that.

2 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Diggin it...my only question is why did he come out at just 85 pitches? I know it's early in the season but this is his third solid start....why not let him at least get into the 90's/one more inning? Trying real hard not to be greedy & that 85 number bothers me.

As a Pirates fan, this trade breaks my heart but happy for both Glasnow & Meadows. Neil Huntington had best keep his resume current after a deal like that.

They had one rain delay already, and were just trying to power him through 5 plus to get through that second band of rain.

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Tampa's scouting is incredible and Pittsburgh is a poorly ran organization. These dudes gave up Glasnow, Meadows, AND a former first round pick Shane Baz, who also has a big ceiling, for friggin' Chris Archer. Might go down as one of the best trades in recent memory.

It’s like Pittsburgh was so desperate to do something big but they didn’t realize what they had right in front of them. They were either unable to get the best out of these guys or unwilling to, either way that’s a fail no matter what for the organization 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

As a fellow Pirates fan, I'm just bitter and angry and sick to my stomach.  Also, I had Glasnow last year and wish that I could have used one of my 8 keeper slots on him.  It was just too hard to predict this type of success (although I should have known this would happen the second he left Pittsburgh).  

14 minutes ago, wallach17 said:

It’s like Pittsburgh was so desperate to do something big but they didn’t realize what they had right in front of them. They were either unable to get the best out of these guys or unwilling to, either way that’s a fail no matter what for the organization 

Not going to defend the trade because it was awful (everyone knew it at the time of the trade).  However, the Pirates did give Glasnow opportunities and he failed miserably.  Were they patient enough?  Apparently not.  Did they mismanage his development?  Possibly.

But his failures seemed to be due to things going on between the ears.  Some guys just need a change of scenery to figure it out.  He had Nolan Ryan type talent and now we're seeing it come to fruition.  Yay for Tampa!

21 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Not going to defend the trade because it was awful (everyone knew it at the time of the trade).  However, the Pirates did give Glasnow opportunities and he failed miserably.  Were they patient enough?  Apparently not.  Did they mismanage his development?  Possibly.

But his failures seemed to be due to things going on between the ears.  Some guys just need a change of scenery to figure it out.  He had Nolan Ryan type talent and now we're seeing it come to fruition.  Yay for Tampa!

Glasnow was 24 at the time of the trade, that is way way waaaay too early to give up on a prospect with his upside. Randy Johnson is the most dominant pitcher I've had the pleasure of ever seeing (Pedro is up there, too) and Glasnow is similar to him in a lot of ways. Super tall, lanky, trouble with is release point, but just incredible pure stuff. Except unlike Johnson, his wipeout pitch is a curve instead of a slider.  Also like Johnson, he really needs only two pitches to dominate.

You just don't give up on players like that this early. His upside was entirely too high and too good to just give him away. Randy didn't come into his own until he was nearly 30. Between Snell and Glasnow, Tampa has their dominating 1-2 punch of the future for years to come.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He still needs to develop a third pitch. If he can do that, he has true top 15 SP potential.

His threw some fastballs yesterday in the 95-97 range that had considerable cut to them.  If that is intentional, he won't need a third pitch.

• Like 1