NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler Glasnow 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome WHIP will be tough if he continues walking 4.5 per 9. K rate is on point though. Great sleeper.

Underlying metrics suggest he was better in the second half than his final numbers dictate. Tremendous upside and a breakout candidate for me this year.

I remember reading when he was on the verge of being called up that Glasnow would just take more time to develop because of his height. Seems like the Pirates just gave up too early.  But man can

This feels like its headed for the TJ at some point; which would be a shame if they wasted all this time (including what's ahead in the projected rehab) and he ends up with that result and misses all of next year as well now.  I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I feel like I've seen this before (where they try to rehab to avoid TJ but end up there anyways)...I hope I'm wrong obviously

A real shame and have to feel for the guy.  I really hope he gets past this and continues with the success he found this year.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, herschel said:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me even if he doesn't need TJ surgery.  Still, the fact that sitting out all this time didn't help really isn't exactly an encouraging sign.  If he ends up needing it, then obviously the timetable goes all the way to 2021.

If you eventually need the DL/IL spot in your league, I think he's even a possible drop at this point in keeper/dynasty leagues unless you keep a ton of players.

A real shame as I had traded for him recently as if he was coming back in a few weeks (aka I didn't get him just extremely cheap).  Figures, but obviously it also sucks for Glasnow.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tarheels_2433 said:

This feels like its headed for the TJ at some point; which would be a shame if they wasted all this time (including what's ahead in the projected rehab) and he ends up with that result and misses all of next year as well now.  I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I feel like I've seen this before (where they try to rehab to avoid TJ but end up there anyways)...I hope I'm wrong obviously

A real shame and have to feel for the guy.  I really hope he gets past this and continues with the success he found this year.

This is right flexor inflammation, not UCL damage. Someone correct me if I am missing something here, but I understand Tommy John to be strictly for ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction.

2 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

This is right flexor inflammation, not UCL damage. Someone correct me if I am missing something here, but I understand Tommy John to be strictly for ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction.

The 2 usually go hand in hand.  The flexor muscles are the primary muscular stabilizer for the medial (inside) aspect of the elbow, and as a result "shield" the UCL from strain.  If the UCL is damaged, the flexors will reflexively overcompensate to try to stabilize the elbow, resulting in fatigue/tendinitis.  In other words, flexor tendinitis can be hiding an underlying UCL tear.   But, an MRI will typically definitely tell if there is a significant UCL tear or not.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, soccerphysio said:

The 2 usually go hand in hand.  The flexor muscles are the primary muscular stabilizer for the medial (inside) aspect of the elbow, and as a result "shield" the UCL from strain.  If the UCL is damaged, the flexors will reflexively overcompensate to try to stabilize the elbow, resulting in fatigue/tendinitis.  In other words, flexor tendinitis can be hiding an underlying UCL tear.   But, an MRI will typically definitely tell if there is a significant UCL tear or not.

He had an MRI though and it did not show any UCL damage so unless he tore it during his recent throwing sessions should be fine, obv would need another MRI to confirm that

This has definitely been the debbie downer of injuries this season. He looked headed for ace-level production and now we'll be lucky to get anything other than September production out of him, which would likely be low pitch count appearances anyway.

2 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

This has definitely been the debbie downer of injuries this season. He looked headed for ace-level production and now we'll be lucky to get anything other than September production out of him, which would likely be low pitch count appearances anyway.

Yeah. Hard to operate keeper league pitching staffs. Thought I had a cornerstone to build around. Now I expect TJ at some point and 3 years from now he'll be on someone elses roster. 

5 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

He had an MRI though and it did not show any UCL damage so unless he tore it during his recent throwing sessions should be fine, obv would need another MRI to confirm that

I meant to add that since he has already had an MRI, his UCL should be fine, unless he has a partial tear that they aren’t disclosing.

5 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

It's not because I have him on my team, but I honestly thought he would throw a no hitter this year. His stuff looked ace like this year. 

14 hours ago, mrfrood said:

It's not because I have him on my team, but I honestly thought he would throw a no hitter this year. His stuff looked ace like this year. 

It did to me as well. 94-96 mph four seamer with natural cut. To go with a plus curveball. 

Hopefully this is the last speed bump in what turns out to be a long, great career.

1 hour ago, Jason123 said:

Anybody dropping him in a redraft league? 

Honestly, I think in Roto it's completely reasonable to drop if you have other guys on the IL. Shut down for 3 weeks, if he passes tests maybe he begins throwing. I would imagine a slow rehab process. They're not going to rush this at all. I would imagine another 3 weeks before ramping up to a rehab start. Add in a few rehab starts and we are getting close to a September return. 

it hurts me to say it as an owner but dropping isnt the worst idea (im not, for what its worth). he was already shut down (initially) when he felt discomfort. after all that time off he STILL felt discomfort. whats another 3 weeks going to do? its VERY unlikely 3 more weeks is going to rid him of whatever ailment he's dealing with. i really hope im wrong but iid have to assume there will be lingering discomfort once these 3 weeks are up which will inevitably lead to a season ending shut down. if you have an open DL slot a hold is a no brainer at this point. hell, id even hold if my DL was overflowing a bit just cause of how great he has been this year - but thats just me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think with this news he's now droppable in redraft leagues. Even with the MRI checking out he's still getting shut down for an additional period of time. Seems like they are just being super cautious with their future ace and are not even thinking about having him pitch again this season.

56 minutes ago, bigboyish said:
I think with this news he's now droppable in redraft leagues. Even with the MRI checking out he's still getting shut down for an additional period of time. Seems like they are just being super cautious with their future ace and are not even thinking about having him pitch again this season.

Seems about right.  Obviously very disappointing, but not really that shocking after his setback.

At this point you just have to hope this doesn't become a chronic issue now.

He’s not going to see another regular season start in 2019, my dudes. The only tiny chance he plays again this year are if the Rays make it to the postseason and that’s a big IF with the way the bullpen is pitching right now.

He’ll be a huge question mark going into next season. We all saw the ceiling, but this will be a long layoff after a tricky injury. I predict now he’ll be one of the most analyzed Spring Training participants.

• 3 weeks later...