NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Miguel Cabrera 2019 Outlook

bradwatson

6 minutes ago, Travis C. said:

Keller gave him a heater right down the middle and he whiffed for a k... Guys behind him had nothing to do with that 

I'm not an overreactor but I did see that and I was like damn. He should mash that. Definitely some whiff concerns 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Have you seen who’s behind Dwight Smith?  He’s still raking.  Lazy excuse from a dude who routinely shows up obese to camp.  Fitting.

"Miggy is fat" takes?  C'mon dude.

33 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

toast1.jpg

Looking that way. I've been one of his biggest defenders on here, but my patience is wearing thin as well. There have been some encouraging signs of late. He's had several multi-hit games and raised his average to .300. His batted ball data looks a little better over the past few weeks with a higher flyball rate and lower groundball rate, but the power still isn't there. I'm going to give him a few more weeks to see if any balls leave the yard. If he's still doing the same I'll have to let him go, there are just better options out there.

On 4/27/2019 at 3:55 AM, Hockey_Baseball said:

nStill not pulling anything.... 2 of his hits were grounders - one up the middle, one to deep down the line where the 3B couldn't make the throw. The others were golfed to the oppo corner in the exact same way. That's nice but that seems to be where he's living this year. I'd like to see some power strokes to the pull side 👀

Average and RBI are decent, but that's about it.  I'm thinking of moving on.  What's the consensus on Miggy?   Done like dinner?  

Edited by gbill2004

10 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Average and RBI are decent, but that's about it.  I'm thinking of moving on.  What's the consensus on Miggy?   Done like dinner?  

He’s a juggs machine stick.  Meaning that he can roll out of bed, put in zero effort and still hit .290+.  There’s just zero pop left in that bat.  Depending on league format he should have a little value in average leagues. 

It's been a tough slog for Miggy. All his metrics on the season look to be down which is what's scary.  I still hold out some hope that the skills are still there. The fact that the lineup around him blows certainly doesn't help.  It might have been one of the things I underestimated a little bit.  He's a generational talent and one of the all time great hitters.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him get hot. I hope at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Miguel Cabrera was able to avoid the injured list despite being diagnosed with a chronic knee issue.

In other words, Cabrera will have to continue to play through the pain for now. Surgery could eventually be an option, but they aren't going to go that route for now

Full body deterioration.  @bradwatson Made a bulletproof bet putting an injury clause into our over under homer total.  I’d be shocked if he made it to 4th of July without an operation.  Either way the power is gone and it isn’t coming back.  Glorified singles hitter now.

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Miguel Cabrera was able to avoid the injured list despite being diagnosed with a chronic knee issue.

In other words, Cabrera will have to continue to play through the pain for now. Surgery could eventually be an option, but they aren't going to go that route for now

Full body deterioration.  @bradwatson Made a bulletproof bet putting an injury clause into our over under homer total.  I’d be shocked if he made it to 4th of July without an operation.  Either way the power is gone and it isn’t coming back.  Glorified singles hitter now.

Unless he goes on some Mart Carpenter like tear at some point to get to 25 dingers, I'm gonna pony up the cash at the end of the season regardless. Total swing and a miss by me here.

• Like 4

Considering how amazing his career has been, can you imagine what Miguel Cabrera might have been able to accomplish if he could have gotten his conditioning, alcohol consumption, and personal life into some semblance of professionalism?  

• Like 1

lol, figures.. first game as full time DH, he goes OFFFFFFFFFFFF.... im sure this will lead to a mini surge of Miggy pick ups off waiver.. and those who have dropped him (me) with a sense of regret.

i cant imagine (tho its possible) that he will all of a sudden become old Miggy.. altho as previously stated.. the fact he wont be fielding will save his body a little.. which will both allow him to aim for more power and keep him in the line up.