NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zack Wheeler 2019 Outlook

27 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

No still thinks Thor is better or more valuable than Wheeler anymore do they?

I mean, Wheeler’s fastball is better than Thor’s. 

thor is only better if you're looking to cast a pitcher for a hollywood baseball film

Edited by FritzLn
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You bring up good points. The fact of the matter however is that there, at least in my opinion, aren’t 30 starters that I feel very secure both with the performance and the durability. There’s probabl

The 11k’s are fantastic but I’m thrilled to see the zero walks. His stuff is so good and he is so proficient at inducing weak contact that it’s so frustrating to see him give up free passes. 

Posted Images

Mess been pushing Wheeler pretty hard cuz he's on his walk year. He's already come out for an extra inning when he should not at least twice this year.

Dude's not taking a Bauer step forward. Maybe he has another 10 start run in him, but that's about it.

Not a complete pitcher yet. Maybe never will be.

Dominates against a top 12 offense in the Phillies. Walks 7 against a bottom half offense in WAS, and doesn’t look good against a bottom 5 offense in CIN.

Point is, can’t play matchups with the guy. If he’s on he’s tough to hit. If he’s not, he’s not good. And there’s no rhyme or reason as to when this happens. So maybe just leave him in all year and hope the numbers are there at the end. 

• Like 1

Pretty much!

I've watched a lot of Zach Wheeler pitched games, and he's capable of being an ace.  Most pitchers have days where their stuff just isn't top notch that day, but Wheeler has dealt with this issue more frequently to begin the season than usual.  He'll get better at making the best of his starts when his fastball is a little light ( but still 94mph ).

I think he's easily skilled enough to start every time he pitches.  He's healthy, and as he gets into mid-season form, he'll be one of three or four hardest throwing starting pitchers in MLB.  You don't want to have him on your bench when everything is smoothed out in his arsenal, so simply set and forget Wheeler.  You have to take the bad with the good, and by season's end, he'll be a 3.25-3.40 ERA guy with plenty of strikeouts and 13-16 wins.

1 minute ago, Resident A-hole said:

Anybody else worried about starting him vs Washington next start? He got lit up by them twice early this season.

not worried at all. Washington isnt some powerhouse offense and Wheeler looks to be back on track.

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I don't even want to own this loser anymore.  Hopefully he has an insane 2nd half to make it worth it.  Really thought he'd be alright starting in Miami.

me either. better taking a chance streaming. however if you get rid of him he will pitch like an ace. I don't care though.

5 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I am throwing him out there again. I hope he has some pride and wont want to get reamed a third time by the same team.

If the dude can locate, he will beat anyone. 

Little late for trying to muster up the pride and avoid the 3rd Nationals reaming. 

he has pitched some really nice ones and some not good ones. where this kind of stuff really hurts you is points leagues. at least in H2H you can stream a bunch of pitchers to try and win Ks and Ws.

Everybody talks about all the hitters from 2017 who have replicated that year's success again this season with the re-juiced ball. Has there been any serious investigation into the pitchers who succeeded that year compared to 2018, etc?

Wheeler carried my team the second-half of last season and I'd love to have him back on my squad despite his struggles so far. I'm floundering with the rest of us this season as pitching has been ridiculously inconsistent. I'm wondering if guys like Wheeler are just in the process of adjusting to the new ball and whether there are any clues out there as to who will figure it out best/first.

46 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

Everybody talks about all the hitters from 2017 who have replicated that year's success again this season with the re-juiced ball. Has there been any serious investigation into the pitchers who succeeded that year compared to 2018, etc?

Wheeler carried my team the second-half of last season and I'd love to have him back on my squad despite his struggles so far. I'm floundering with the rest of us this season as pitching has been ridiculously inconsistent. I'm wondering if guys like Wheeler are just in the process of adjusting to the new ball and whether there are any clues out there as to who will figure it out best/first.

Wheeler's probs can't be blamed on the juice ball. The dude's command is just mediocre. He has good stuff no doubt, but he can't put it where he wants to. The result is he doesn't finish hitters off and often makes mistakes that hitters can jump on even though he's ahead in the count. Today he was victimized by some cheap hits, but there were also a few shots that found gloves.

He's capable of making another run like last year, but you can't count on that.

27 minutes ago, weisberg26 said:

Is the 4th time a charm or would it be crazy to start him vs Washington on Tuesday?

Wheeler is a good pitcher, and Washington is a good(not great) lineup so I think the law of averages wins out and he pitches well.