NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zack Wheeler 2019 Outlook

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You bring up good points. The fact of the matter however is that there, at least in my opinion, aren’t 30 starters that I feel very secure both with the performance and the durability. There’s probabl

The 11k’s are fantastic but I’m thrilled to see the zero walks. His stuff is so good and he is so proficient at inducing weak contact that it’s so frustrating to see him give up free passes. 

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

He wasnt at his best today (clearly)... but he wasnt that bad. The defense was super shaky behind him and he had a ton of weak hit (and bloop) hits. 

His fastball looked great but his secondary stuff was awful. The slider in particular was absolute garbage. He needs to figure out his pitch mix or find an off-speed offering that works for us to see the guy we saw last year in the second half. 

• Like 1

What the hell, man?  I was all in on this dude after what he accomplished in the second half last year.  The peripherals are still pretty good - 10K/9IP, 4-to-1 K/BB, etc.  I won’t be giving up on him any time soon, but starts like these are difficult to stomach.

46 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

He wasnt at his best today (clearly)... but he wasnt that bad. The defense was super shaky behind him and he had a ton of weak hit (and bloop) hits. 

His fastball looked great but his secondary stuff was awful. The slider in particular was absolute garbage. He needs to figure out his pitch mix or find an off-speed offering that works for us to see the guy we saw last year in the second half. 

Completely agree the end result looks putrid but if you watched the game you came away thinking the line was better than it was.  Morales had 2 flares to both lines of the chalk today.  JD Davis played some of the worst LF you’ll ever see.  Frazier had a horribly untimely error.  Smith botched a gimme double play ball and only ended up getting a force, then another run came after that. Conforto had a liner go off tip of glove.  It’s a game of inches but honestly that line was like a 2-3 ER type pitched game.  His fastball is electric when located.  I’m still concerned with his slider and ability to consistently get tough lefties out 2-3 times in a row.  So it’s not all rainbows and butterflies there’s a good chance he’s a big bust in terms of end line but from here on out id still buy.  Just those invested early on draft day are kind of in a bad place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who's starting this guy today? Prior to his last start (which did not go well), he'd gone 7+ inning in 6 of 7 starts. Wasn't putting up dominant games like he was during the second half of last season, but solid starts across the board. I want to start him, but that Braves offense is crushing right now. What are you guys doing?

I'm starting him, no questions asked, every start.  When on, his stuff is some of the nastiest in baseball.  His fastball can hit 98 regularly, even in late innings.  I'm 100% convinced he will have an ERA at or below 3.40, and he'll end the season top 10 in K's.  He's #15 in K's right now, even with the terrible start to the season.  If I didn't already own him, I'd be buying low on him right now.

5 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

I'm starting him, no questions asked, every start.  When on, his stuff is some of the nastiest in baseball.  His fastball can hit 98 regularly, even in late innings.  I'm 100% convinced he will have an ERA at or below 3.40, and he'll end the season top 10 in K's.  He's #15 in K's right now, even with the terrible start to the season.  If I didn't already own him, I'd be buying low on him right now.

Wish I could convince myself to think this way.. I sure was a supporter of this train of thought all offseason and through May. Between him and Marquez, I am in constant pain. Love his upside, love the consistent K's, he is a horse, but the dude has given up 3+ earned runs in 6 straight starts. ATL on paper is a top 5 offense, and they've been that and more lately. He has a 5.70ish ERA over his last 4 road starts, nearly a 7+ ERA over his last 3. Can't do it. First time sitting him. Hope I regret it.

I am starting him, not because I have any faith in him, but because my team has nothing to lose.

If he somehow manages to avoid throwing pitches down the middle, he will have a strong game, regardless of the team. So basically it's do ya feel lucky?

23 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I am starting him, not because I have any faith in him, but because my team has nothing to lose.

If he somehow manages to avoid throwing pitches down the middle, he will have a strong game, regardless of the team. So basically it's do ya feel lucky?

I agree with this 100%. 

I am in a deeper league and have to start him but he does not inspire alot of confidence. That being said, when his command is on, he can shutdown any offense. 

The prob is, with a loser like Wheeler, who can you really start him against with confidence?

There is only one MIA and DET plays in the AL. He's not a good pitcher so if you really play matchup, you'd have to bench him against 27 out of the 29 possible opponents.

I have no one but myself to blame for drafting him (I actually thought I got a good deal getting him after pick 140). Next year I will try to observe a pitcher before I draft him rather than go by numbers alone.

5 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

The prob is, with a loser like Wheeler, who can you really start him against with confidence?

There is only one MIA and DET plays in the AL. He's not a good pitcher so if you really play matchup, you'd have to bench him against 27 out of the 29 possible opponents.

I have no one but myself to blame for drafting him (I actually thought I got a good deal getting him after pick 140). Next year I will try to observe a pitcher before I draft him rather than go by numbers alone.

I hear ya...but he looked pretty dominant down the stretch last year.

we all got hoodwinked.

The key word with Wheeler is consistency. Whatever mojo he had last year 2nd half, that's gone.

I have the mlb.com gamecast on my computer glancing back and forth. I did see follow the third inning AB against Riley and it summarizes what is wrong with him. First two pitches right on the edge good ones. Then he grooves an 0-2 FB down the middle and gets away with that on pure stuff. Gets to full count, and gets a lineout.

He simply cannot put away hitters because he cannot locate his pitches. His secondary stuff is also not what it was last year.

So basically we have a guy with an elite level fastball but spotty command and mediocre secondary stuff.

Once that FB loses a couple of miles... Oompha.

31 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

The key word with Wheeler is consistency. Whatever mojo he had last year 2nd half, that's gone.

I have the mlb.com gamecast on my computer glancing back and forth. I did see follow the third inning AB against Riley and it summarizes what is wrong with him. First two pitches right on the edge good ones. Then he grooves an 0-2 FB down the middle and gets away with that on pure stuff. Gets to full count, and gets a lineout.

He simply cannot put away hitters because he cannot locate his pitches. His secondary stuff is also not what it was last year.

So basically we have a guy with an elite level fastball but spotty command and mediocre secondary stuff.

Once that FB loses a couple of miles... Oompha.

Also, he has a dumpster fire defense.