NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zack Wheeler 2019 Outlook

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You bring up good points. The fact of the matter however is that there, at least in my opinion, aren’t 30 starters that I feel very secure both with the performance and the durability. There’s probabl

The 11k’s are fantastic but I’m thrilled to see the zero walks. His stuff is so good and he is so proficient at inducing weak contact that it’s so frustrating to see him give up free passes. 

Posted Images

I think if he gets traded to a contender with a legitimate coaching staff (you know, not the Mess) they might help him spot his pitches better.

Imagine you have to play in a loser organization like the Mess. It can't help.

The rot starts top down from the Wilpons. Until Wilpons sell, Mess won't win another WS.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I think if he gets traded to a contender with a legitimate coaching staff (you know, not the Mess) they might help him spot his pitches better.

Imagine you have to play in a loser organization like the Mess. It can't help.

The rot starts top down from the Wilpons. Until Wilpons sell, Mess won't win another WS.

imagine him in tampa bay

• Like 1
1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

imagine him in tampa bay

Yeah that would be a good fit.

Would be a good #3 workhorse behind Morton and Snell. Would at the very least help keep their pen fresh for the playoff push/actual playoffs.

They might be willing to give up one of their bullpen arms outside of Castillo/Alvardo/Pagan plus one minor leaguer for a half season rental.

Maybe Stanek plus a fringe prospect.

8 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Yeah that would be a good fit.

Would be a good #3 workhorse behind Morton and Snell. Would at the very least help keep their pen fresh for the playoff push/actual playoffs.

They might be willing to give up one of their bullpen arms outside of Castillo/Alvardo/Pagan plus one minor leaguer for a half season rental.

Maybe Stanek plus a fringe prospect.

Actually, he’d be the #4 guy once Glasnow comes back...that would be a strong rotation.

7 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

isnt he an FA at the end of the year? The mets should sell, they are not going to compete this year. 

Pirates should trade Bell for him. remember being mad when the Giants traded him for Beltran for a playoff run. well....no loss.

Edited by mlb2019
1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Can you believe this guy?  He shut out the Cubs in Wrigley over 6 innings.  The same place where Giolito just got destroyed.  Ridiculous.

To add to this, he had a 6.70 Era in day games this year (7 starts) and a 5.50 Era on the road. Everything statistically said to bench him. 

Hopefully this time next month, Wheeler will be pitching for a contender. Even for the Mess, they would have to have an IQ of a chicken to still think they are in it. They ought to be selling any non core player.

Haha... I am rolling him out there vs. Yanks. If he gives up fewer than 5 ER I will be happy.

Last time he was spotting his FB on or near the edges consistently. Maybe it was a fluke... we will see.

Edited by papasmurf

Still one of my favorite Buy-Low guys in MLB.  With everyone struggling to solidify their SP rotation going into the playoffs, I'd give up a solid bat to add Wheeler if I didn't already own him.  

I've been saying this for a while now, and he hasn't completely turned it around, but Wheeler has top 10 "stuff", and can be nearly unhittable when he's on.  I prefer guys like Wheeler that have experience pitching over 170 innings in previous years over some of the young talented SP's whose arms are more used to much lower innings totals per season.  Considering just last year, when Wheeler's 2nd half was one of the best in baseball, Wheeler is a nice Buy Low asset, worth the gamble for sure.

• Like 1