NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zack Wheeler 2019 Outlook

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You bring up good points. The fact of the matter however is that there, at least in my opinion, aren’t 30 starters that I feel very secure both with the performance and the durability. There’s probabl

The 11k’s are fantastic but I’m thrilled to see the zero walks. His stuff is so good and he is so proficient at inducing weak contact that it’s so frustrating to see him give up free passes. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

id rather the yanks get him over madbum

fantasy wise i think hes a buy low guy too. legit SP2 if u can get him

Good point.   Between Wheeler and Bumgarner, I think it's a toss up.  I'm a Mets fan, too but I love the intensity Bumgarner brings in his starts.  There's a guy on YouTube that does short video breakdowns on quirky MLB situations.  One of them shows Bumgarner barking at the ump, and yelling at the batter.  Emotions on the mound aren't always a good thing ( see Folty in Atlanta ) but in Bumgarner's case, I think it could rally the Yanks hitters.

Regardless, Wheeler's stuff is dominant.  He's one of a handful of SP's that can hit 100mph beyond the 5th inning, without over-stressing his delivery.  Guys like him are rare, and I actually hope the Mets don't trade him, and instead sign him longer term so they can keep at 1-2-3 of Degrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler.  They can work on their bullpen, and hitting in the off season for a brighter future.

IL bound

Mets placed RHP Zack Wheeler on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to July 12, with right shoulder fatigue.

This comes with very bad timing for the Mets, who had been dangling Wheeler in trade talks with a number of clubs. He will be eligible to return next Tuesday and may be able to fit in a start or two before the July 31 trade deadline, but the health of his shoulder could obviously hang over any negotiations. Steven Matz will pitch in Wheeler's place this week against the Twins.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

....try to buy low?

He's had trouble staying health combined with the Mets medical staff...risk to say the least but may be worth a shot.

22 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

why in the world is he still listed as DTD on Yahoo!

has he not officially been moved to the DL by the mets?

Nope, yahoo and ESPN can't IL him until the Mets make the official roster move. All we have is the report that he is expected to go on IL. 

2 minutes ago, Theschill38 said:

Nope, yahoo and ESPN can't IL him until the Mets make the official roster move. All we have is the report that he is expected to go on IL. 

ahh ok.  thought the report was that the mets placed him on the DL.

first thing that came to mind was they just keeping him healthy before a trade in the next 2 weeks and not have to worry about him getting inj in a start. would he have to pitch before he got traded? or could they just activate him in 10 days and trade him? or can you trade a guy that is on IR?

Edited by colepenhagen
9 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

first thing that came to mind was they just keeping him healthy before a trade in the next 2 weeks and not have to worry about him getting inj in a start. would he have to pitch before he got traded? or could they just activate him in 10 days and trade him? or can you trade a guy that is on IR?

Nope - any IL’d player can be traded before the deadline.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

first thing that came to mind was they just keeping him healthy before a trade in the next 2 weeks and not have to worry about him getting inj in a start. 

by RotoWire Staff
(17 mins ago) Wheeler's bout with shoulder fatigue isn't viewed as a serious concern and is expected to result in a minimum-length stay on the 10-day injured list, Matt Ehalt of Yahoo Sports reports.

While it's not overly reassuring that Wheeler needed to be shut down despite getting some extended rest with the All-Star break, a source tells Ehalt that the Mets are exercising caution with the right-hander more than anything. Assuming Wheeler is feeling good after another week of rest, he could rejoin the rotation as soon as July 23. That would put Wheeler on track to make two showcase starts before the July 31 trade deadline, when he could be one of the more highly sought-after arms if the Mets decide to make him available.

11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Is everyone holding?  We all know how this plays out.  “Shoulder fatigue”, in Mets medical world is code for torn meniscus.

Wait, I thought it was code for "broken ankle".  Am I using an outdated guide over here?

Yes I'm holding, especially with an open DL spot till I hear confirmation of a reason not to.  Hopefully it's just "fatigue" and he's back when first eligible.  But it is the mets....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, steve9347 said:

Did the Mets seriously not trade this guy? He's going to walk in the offseason.

the Mets are going to gain some ground and make wild card.
If Wheeler has a good second half, they'll give him a QO and either have him next year or get a sandwich pick.